animal encounters

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been hiking and riding with my kids since they were born, they're now 21 and 19....When my Son was about 7 he confronted me, we were hiking in the mountains and he wanted to know why when there were bear tracks I would start sining loud....appartly the kids fiqured it out... but there mother up to then never did.....she didnt go hiking much after that....she was nervous about bears...

We were out hiking and were caught out in a light rain while climbing up a ridge near Two O'Clock Creek, we hid under a cliff till the rain stoped then proceeded up onto the top of the over hang, the trail had fresh tracks on it and my daughter wanted to know what song we should sing re the kitties tracks. Seems a Cougar was right above us while we hid under the cliff....

" Hit the road Jack" comes to mind now, then it was just lets go back the way we came .....:eek:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly large red fox hanging around the yard for the last 2 weeks. Last night (4am) was the second time I saw him. The St. Bernard barks like crazy at him outside, then the beagle gets going inside and NO ONE sleeps.

Not sure how I`m going to get rid of it. Shooting it in the middle of the night will just bring the cops and lots of hassles. Might go buy a blunt for my arrow and see if it will stick around long enough for a thump in the a$$.

Anyone have any ideas.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trap it and relocate it, call the fish cops I sure they would have some suggestions. Google it lots of stuff came up when I searched. Repellents etc.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have one horse thats tryed playing with a porky pine twice....what a rodeo that is getting them cut and pulled....hobbled front and back knocked him down had one rope holding his feet, his head tied, then had one guy sitting on his head while I cut and pulled....1200 lbs of pissed off horse....but when all was done and we untied him he just stood there ... I gave him two apples....he luvs apples....so far it's been a year and no more quills so he must have fiqured it out the second time....pork's are not to be played with...:nono:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Animals I wouldnt want to encounter!!!!

Attachments

• NIGERIAN Man's Best Friend.jpg
    NIGERIAN Man's Best Friend.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 26
  • NIGERIAN Muzzle that Hound.jpg
    NIGERIAN Muzzle that Hound.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 34

-Swede-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-T-boned about a 1yr old cow moose with a honda 300 quad. (nobody Hurt)

LMAO!!!

once when i was younger, me and a friend were out sledding at night, it was dark as... well... you know... anyway when we get to where we were going he takes off his helmet and says:
"wow, why did that bull moose get so close to ya?"

turns out a big bull had been running alongside me for a few yards, not 6 feet away from the sled!

and I, blind as a bat, didn't even notice! :confused:

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy birds.

Attachments

• Silent Pass April 10 2009 037.jpg
    Silent Pass April 10 2009 037.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Silent Pass April 10 2009 050.jpg
    Silent Pass April 10 2009 050.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 25

DEVER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does Alien Encounters Count????

Attachments

• 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 28

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I was just in Crowsnest for a week. Did some flyfishing on the Crowsnest, and upstream on the Livingston, Oldman and Racehorse. Saw lots of wildlife but was short a Grizzly. Looking around it seemed there wasn't much ready for them to eat so I was curious to to the local and elevation of your sighting.

Lucky you.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fishing a spot on the Oldman river last week these critters came down off the mountain to join us. It was starting to get dark. There were several of them hanging around and didn't seem to mind us a whole lot. Don't get a close up look at these often so it was a real treat to watch them for a while. Youngun's were funny as they were quite intersted in us too.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
Had a ton of encounters, but heres some recent...

out riding my dirtbike last week, I came ripping around a corner to my truck, and there was a little grizzly sittin there waiting for me. I slid to a stop, and revved up my bike, a CRF450, so quite loud. Didn't even phaze him, he looked at me like "what the heck do you want" I was maybe only 50 ft away. He didn't seem too concerned about me, so I whipped out the camera. Then he started to walk away from the truck, sort of in my direction. So, I snapped a quick pick, and promptly fired a bearbanger about 3 feet above his head.... He took off into the bush at a hundred miles an hour. Never loaded my bike so fast in my life.... I had bearspray too, so I wasn't all that concerned, but didn't want to have to use it. That pic is not zoomed at all!

Last summer, a buddy and I were on a climbing/caving trip, and we had our basecamp set up on a high alpine plateau. Probably about 6000 feet, it was late June, and there was probably 5 or 6 feet of snow on the ground still. We had our food stashed in the only tree up there, which was just a dead stick sticking up out of the snow. I awoke in the middle of the night, to something trying to get at our food, so I peeked out the tent and saw about a 150-200 lb Timberwolf, about a 100 feet away. He was a BIG bugger! I tried to wake my buddy quietly, and he jumped awake "what, what, what the he** do you want" he says loudly. I told him there was a wolf outside, and he froze. We decided to just yell and scream, and rattle the sides of the tent, he took off running down into the trees, so I decided to get up, and see what mess he had made. When I got up I saw his tracks ALL over our camp, including ones circling the tent, and right up to the door, 2 feet from our heads.... I actually had a fairly large handgun with us, for that exact reason(yes, its registered and I'm licensed.) But, I figured if we could just scare him away, there was no point in firing a warning shot and scaring the bejeesus out of him...

Attachments

• 4919_194754290507_663770507_7382732_2799449_n.jpg
    4919_194754290507_663770507_7382732_2799449_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 32

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Last night hubby and I are out for a walk around our subdivision. He spots a young skunk at side of road in grass. Dean darts real quick to the right as he warns me about skunk. I just stop, move a bit to the right and watch the little sucker. He did have his tail up when he first noticed us but actually turned to face us and lower his tail. We just stared at each other for a couple of minutes. If the dog had been with us she would have been sprayed for sure, but alas she is in the hospital.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was cruising down a back road once and seen a Lynx eating on a roadkill deer. It didn't seem to be scared off by my presence so I drove past it about 40 or 50 yards and parked and shut off my truck. I new I had my camera somewhere in the truck. The cat seemed to be patient for me while I found my camera but just as I was about to open my door and get out I noticed that the Lynx was gone off the kill. I got out of the truck with the camera and decided to walk back to the kill and see if he was still around. When I walked past the back of the box on my pickup I looked to my left and I was Face to Face with the Lynx, less than 8 feet away. It startled me and I let out a school girl scream and we both ran in opposite directions. I never did get a picture of it. :confused:

wow that would be scary!

Top Bottom