animal encounters

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
animal encounters..did you or youre pets ever have one..so far my dogs got skunked twice..20 years ago i came face to face with a wolf..scarred the beejeeperz out of me..whats your story?:eek:

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was bow hunting with a buddy of mine.... i was in the tree and he was on the ground... called a moose in and well buddy was crapping his pants when he seen the bull 8 feet away from him ....

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My little shelty got skunked last year on friday of august long weekend at about 1:30 am. Last week i was working in the bush south of bonnyville and while having a bush poo, a fox trotted passed me about 10 feet away.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine was bear hunting. With a recurve bow,ya he's nuts, momma comes in with her two cubs. she goes and checks out bait pile. One cub spots him up the tree. Decides to climb up and check it out. The cub climbed up the tree and my buddy started to head out on the branch to get away from the trunck. The cub decided to follow him out until it finally got scared because the branch was shaking to bad. Probably not as bad as my buddy. he said it went on for about 1/2 hr then momma decided it was time to leave. startd to walk back towards his stand. looked up at him and the cub gave a loud grunt and stomped the ground. The cub reluctantly came down the tree and left. then my buddy came down after a while and changed his shorts.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in nipagon ontario tree planting one summer, on one of our weekend nights out (booze day) we were walking back from the bar and saw a fox cruising around.

Same summer, we were on the bus when a moose came out of the bush and took off running in front of the bus. I think we clocked him going pretty stinkin fast

And there is always the deer and elk that I seem to see on a daily basis going to or returning from work.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was 12-13 ,growing up in Oyama BC,we would always play in the bush.We had trails from my house to all my buddy's on the hillside,on more than 2 occasions I would be runnin along and then you would here shake shake with a snap.............Yes it was rattlesnake,right on the trail ,they do get a little pissy when you step on them.Both my old Shepard's got bit before from rattlesnake's.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
went to the Gas Pump downtown once along time ago.....
girl.jpg

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I was 6 or 7, on the trapline with my dad. He had a lynx, still live in the trap, so he shot it, then left me there to turn the snowmobile around. He came back, we got loaded up, and as we were taking off, I pointed into the trees and said "Daddy Daddy, there's another big cat!"

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I was cruising down a back road once and seen a Lynx eating on a roadkill deer. It didn't seem to be scared off by my presence so I drove past it about 40 or 50 yards and parked and shut off my truck. I new I had my camera somewhere in the truck. The cat seemed to be patient for me while I found my camera but just as I was about to open my door and get out I noticed that the Lynx was gone off the kill. I got out of the truck with the camera and decided to walk back to the kill and see if he was still around. When I walked past the back of the box on my pickup I looked to my left and I was Face to Face with the Lynx, less than 8 feet away. It startled me and I let out a school girl scream and we both ran in opposite directions. I never did get a picture of it. :confused:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So some buddies and I went out fishing saturday. Sure enough I brought my camera on the first lake to take photos of the catch and such. We went to another lake, but the skies looked menacing so I opted to leave the camera in the truck, we get over to the other side of the lake to see a moose with her kid feasting on leaves. Murphy's law took full effect. I am just glad we were in a boat, gave us the opportunity to kick back and watch the animals do their thing, without ticking off the mom.

A good day to be alive.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was Horseback riding in the Whitehorse Creek area near Cadomin....Left the kids in camp and just the wife and I went for a ride around 9 pm...Went up a trail that headed into one of two ravine’s , far up on the right in the other ravine, we heard a moose holler and then a wolf howl, followed by a few more wolf howls that made it clear they were tracking the moose….About 20 mins later we heard a wolf howl in front of us and within the next 5 mins we heard them behind us and on either side….the horses were very alert, but it wasn’t until one crossed the trail well in front of us, has it crossed it glanced right at us…now it was at least 400 yards up the trail, but it seemed to close for comfort…..that was when I decided it was time to leave.

When the wolf crossed in front of us we were heading into a part of the trail that was really soft, the horse’s were sinking into the mud at least 6 to 8 inches, I knew and it seemed they did as well that there was no way out right there, we had passed a trail that I was sure headed to the road about 5 mins back, we turned around and once out of the soft stuff, picked up the pace…..and just decided to get out of there, never heard or saw them…..

Now I have been told that there has never been a wolf attack in Alberta and that it is extremely unlikely that they would have attacked…..but now I travel with a rifle, just makes me feel better…

Have seen wolfs before but never felt hunted until that day….

Got back to camp and the kids said your back early, as we had planned on a 2 to 3 hour ride and were back in an hour…

Put the wine and blanket away for another night….lol

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dog and porcupine a year ago.
Momma Big Horn ran two of us big guys off the trail.
Black Bear on side of trail in Jasper. Paid no attention to us as we walked right past it.
Female Elk came into our camp once, was intrigued by the dogs. Hard to get her to leave.
First back to camp fishing North of Prince George. Taking boots off and hear animal coming up beside truck. Rounds corner and it's a big black bear, 4 feet from each other. Seemed like an eternity as we both sat still staring at each other. When I finally began to stand up it took off running. I was a little shaky after.
Moose on side of trail, none of us noticed as it was tucked into the trees about 10 feet from us. A little shocked when someone pointed it out.
Had a Weasel in our cooler winter camping once. It was NOT letting go of my steak. Vicious little guy!
Came upon 2 grey wolves just out of Swan Hills. Crested a hill and there they were. 2 of us and 2 of them surprised each other.
Out by Cadomin, had an owl that would not leave us alone. Kept dive bombing us. Had to leave the area.
Backcountry in Montana had a deer walk right through our camp, in between us, while we quietly ate dinner. That was pretty cool. No fear whatsoever.
Big Buffalo in Elk Island ran us off the trail. Now THAT'S an animal I would not want to get into it with.
Every day I come face to face with my two wolf/husky cross dogs. That's the best encounter ever!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not much of a story teller so I'll just list the incidents

-T-boned about a 1yr old cow moose with a honda 300 quad. (nobody Hurt)

-Chased by a 3-400lb black bear on a Honda 450es. That was pretty close.

-shot at by indians in Red Earth (they needed fuel)

-cougar growled at me late at night on time, this one freaked me out... Late callout at work, just walking back to camp and heard a growl that could not have been more than 5 feet from me. (Loud and clear no BS). I freakin near tore the door off its hinges. Never saw it.

-I saved my Border collies life, mama black bear with cubs put a chase on her and I scooted by with my 660 grizz and scooped her up in the nick of time.

That would be the highlights.

Ohohoho almost forgot last year I saw the most ridiculous grizzly I have ever seen had to be all of 1400lbs. Its tracks, I could completely fit my size13 dunlop orange rubber boots in. This bear charged my cross shift in his Dodge 1 ton diesel, he said if he would not have punched it the bear would have piled right into the side of his truck.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year me and a buddy were quading south of the big horn damn we took some small trail took us up the site of big hill kept going and reached this flat area in between 4 mountains played around there for a bit and on the way back there was a nice sized grizzly blocking the path so we turned around to try find another trail out but that was the only one so we parked about 300 yards away and watched him eat, there was a thick bush full of berries he was eating he would stand up bout every 15 min and try get our scent then go back to eating took about 2 1/2 hours for him to leave and i was glad when he did

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had lots but main one sticking out is last harvest, goin down the road and out comes a big ol moose and came about an inch from gettin hit by the combine! would have been a story, hittin a moose with a combine:beer::d

Top Bottom