And they say an Avalnche wasn't built to haul a mountain sled

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an avy and want to know what the difference is between the leaf springs and coils. If the truck is rated for the load, does it matter? Just curious.

I don't want to get anyone else mad at me but you asked.
As I mentioned before the Avalanche is an over rated SUV built on a suburban frame.
Coil springs center all the weight on the rear beam running right under the rear wheels putting all the load right at that point on the frame. With Leaf springs like on a truck frame, the weight is distributed throught the full distance of the Leaf.
The Avalanche was introduced as a vehicle to meet a niche between a truck and the Trail Blazer. It gets better fuel economy than a truck and rides much smoother with the bonus of 4 wheel drive. Plus gives you the added bonus of carrying some light loads at times that the Blazer can not.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
avalanche
Maximum Payload 1601.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 5500.00 lbs

Silverado 1500
Maximum Payload 1573.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 4473.00 lbs

overated suv? it has more payload...........dont make ch!t up, it maybe a chopped suburban but its still a truck and still has a frame. i just has coil and double arm rear suspension on the back, not leaf springs.

Its because of the shorter wheelbase.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
avalanche
Maximum Payload 1601.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 5500.00 lbs

[B]Silverado 1500[/B]
Maximum Payload 1573.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 4473.00 lbs

overated suv? it has more payload...........dont make ch!t up, it maybe a chopped suburban but its still a truck and still has a frame. i just has coil and double arm rear suspension on the back, not leaf springs.

that must be the little engine or something??? a chev half tonne is rated around 8000lbs tow cap. with a 5.3V8 actualy its more like 9500 I am think n

this thread is funny,,, many worse drivers we have to worry about out there..

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its because of the shorter wheelbase.

ya reg cab little 8

and hey the AVI is not a girls unit lol... I dont have one but I do like the ride of them,, good all around rigs,, but not the ideal sled rig but it worked to get them out:beer:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya reg cab little 8

and hey the AVI is not a girls unit lol... I dont have one but I do like the ride of them,, good all around rigs,, but not the ideal sled rig but it worked to get them out:beer:

my apologies about the stereotyping..
I agree the Avalanche is wonderful to drive, smooth and fuel efficient (compared to a truck).
But it was introduced as a commuter vehicle with 4X4.
designed for the average individual homemaker taking the kids too and from school, grocery shopping and having to maybe take a few 2x4's home from Home Depot. It was not designed to carry a sled in the back. But in a pinch I guess it worked but I would not recommend it. You are only asking for problems.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my apologies about the stereotyping..
I agree the Avalanche is wonderful to drive, smooth and fuel efficient (compared to a truck).
But it was introduced as a commuter vehicle with 4X4.
designed for the average individual homemaker taking the kids too and from school, grocery shopping and having to maybe take a few 2x4's home from Home Depot. It was not designed to carry a sled in the back. But in a pinch I guess it worked but I would not recommend it. You are only asking for problems.

no need to say sorry lol, its all fun,, I hear what u are saying and I am sure no one took to much insult,,,, and if they did pffffftt what ever lol

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was originally supporting the guy with his ingenuity, but if he was going to try it again, he deserves some criticism...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with comments about being under capacity I am somewhat skeptical.

to be legal your trailer tongue weight should be at least 10% of the total trailer weight. to be generous I would say approx 200lbs
sled weighing approx 500 + lbs (dry weight)
3 guys approx 600lbs. (dry weight) LOL
fuel is 8.66lbs / Gal at 31 Gal = 270 lbs , gear and other stuff such as tie straps I don't see how it could be barly under capacity. But who am I to judge??

I guess the main thing I am saying is be careful !

Last edited:

tjrishel

Reaction score
with comments about being under capacity I am somewhat skeptical.

to be legal your trailer tongue weight should be at least 10% of the total trailer weight. to be generous I would say approx 200lbs
sled weighing approx 500 + lbs (dry weight)
3 guys approx 600lbs. (dry weight) LOL
fuel is 8.66lbs / Gal at 31 Gal = 270 lbs , gear and other stuff such as tie straps I don't see how it could be barly under capacity. But who am I to judge??

I guess the main thing I am saying is be careful !

Where do you get your fuel density from? Gas is light than water buddy. (SG~0.7) The density of water is 8.33 lbs/Gal. May be you should be a little more educated before start adding up another guys math.

waka

Reaction score
this is a funny thread... and like you said who are you???

Just some guy who makes assumptions about things you seem to know a little about... but whatever.. we made it safely as you said and we made it home... no tickets, no accidents, and all smiles, so whatever...

And now with all this fun tussling we have entertained and mabey even educated some people so its all good...

Have a good day and a nice riding season...

waka

Reaction score
Where do you get your fuel density from? Gas is light than water buddy. (SG~0.7) The density of water is 8.33 lbs/Gal. May be you should be a little more educated before start adding up another guys math.

and none of us is even 200lbs... lol

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Once again I apologize, gas is approx 6.00/gal I need to read a bit further down.
How much does 1 gallon of Gasoline weigh? - Q&A

therefore knock off about 90 lbs..
But I am sure they had beer in a cooler ??LOL

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a funny thread... and like you said who are you???

Just some guy who makes assumptions about things you seem to know a little about... but whatever.. we made it safely as you said and we made it home... no tickets, no accidents, and all smiles, so whatever...

And now with all this fun tussling we have entertained and mabey even educated some people so its all good...

Have a good day and a nice riding season...

You Too. Happy Trails !!

waka

Reaction score
mabey on the way home but we got rid of all that gas...

whats the weight calculation of light beer??? lol

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

water is 1kg/l. Imp Gal= 4.54l therefore water is closer to 10lb/gal
the 8.33lb/gal is for american gallons

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
water is 1kg/l. Imp Gal= 4.54l therefore water is closer to 10lb/gal
the 8.33lb/gal is for american gallons

that's at 72 degrees F and at cooler temps it gets more densethus weighing more.
Water weighs about 8.3 pounds/gallon.
Gasoline floats on water.
Therefore, gasoline weighs less than 8.3 pounds/gallon.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me for saying.. But I could not resist!
We are heading out to McBride tonight and hope we don't
run into any Avalanche's this weekend !! Have a Great Weekend Everyone !:d:d

Top Bottom