And they say an Avalnche wasn't built to haul a mountain sled

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: And they say an Avalanche wasn't built to haul a mountain sled

Thats a funny one...

We were legal, 150 or so pounds below the payload and way short of the 60+ feet you are allowed to be for length... it just looked funny... Mama let me take her Nytro too... she is a sweet lady, although not as sweet as the lady on here who meets her man at the bottom of the hill with the trailer open and food... Oh well at least she lets me use her stuff.. lol

And of course we had a wicked day out at quartz... glad we werent there saturday ...

If it was legal, I will take your word for it and I am just making fun of the situation. As we all know that an Avalanche is a chick's truck.. One thing it does show is your last minute determination for the sport ! :cool:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: And they say an Avalanche wasn't built to haul a mountain sled

Gotta do whatever it takes to get to the snow......lol.

kpelsma

Reaction score
I'd be careful if I was u if your driving in B.C. But good job on doing whatcha gotta do:beerchug:

Jenkie

Reaction score
OMG - thats awsome - dediation or what - buddy bailin on ya sucks - should have made him drive the avy - thanks for the pic

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know, the guy posts a picture just to say, "hey it capable." Didn't post it to get slammed or say its a wifes truck. Just cuz some have the 'BIG RIGS' doesn't mean you're all high and mighty. Half ton or not, at least the guys getting out and having fun. I have a half ton, and so does alot of other people i ride with. Every one doesn't have an issue with a sled in the back and a trailer behind. Just saying....take it or leave it!

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know, the guy posts a picture just to say, "hey it capable." Didn't post it to get slammed or say its a wifes truck. Just cuz some have the 'BIG RIGS' doesn't mean you're all high and mighty. Half ton or not, at least the guys getting out and having fun. I have a half ton, and so does alot of other people i ride with. Every one doesn't have an issue with a sled in the back and a trailer behind. Just saying....take it or leave it!

I hear you...who cares what your rig looks like or whether its on a deck, enclosed or open trailer or just in the back of your truck...as long as you get out there safe and have a good day riding its all good.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't get your panties in a bunch or are you an avalanche owner also??.. As I said I was just kidding around.
the pic looked funny and as stated showed the true determination to go sledding.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does any one make a sled deck for the avalnche? lol that is a joke so dont go google that looking for one. I remember when I met the girlfrind 22 years ago (that was round one lol). Her parents bought my first sled off me. they only had a station wagon so to make a long story short...they stuffed a 1981 citation 4500 into the back of a chevy station wagon and her and her two sisters, and mom and dad (yes 5 of them) drove 10 hrs back to alberta with the back end open (and back seat folded up), with -20 ish weather. that is dedication. came for a ski week at xmas and made it a sledding week, and took the sled home, back then you could do that with a station wagon and it wasnt that crazy. well the avy is todays station wagon. all the power to ya!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the station wagon back in the 80's had a steel frame running from the front of the car all the way to the back.
the avalanche does not.
The Avalanche is an over rated SUV.
its not on the same frame as a 1/2 ton. But people seem to think that they are.

highmark x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the beer cooler is holding down the front end of the big kitty lmao. It does look outta place.:eek::d::beer::beer:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not the weight of the sled, but the size of the sled and the way its placed in there. The stopping power of the vehicle will be greatly deminished. If the vehicle had to stop quickly or end up in a crash the sled would end up on the hood, know matter how tied down it was. If it were to be tied down flat in the so called box and a crash were to happen it would kill everyone inside because the sled would go right out through the windshield.

Last edited:

psycoticmudder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
losing control of that vehicle and kill someones family on the road is really worth the trip get real dude! no joke. should have post in WTF

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Triple strapped down it was solid... Avalanches do have the hydroformed frame .. And do you Think with all that weight over the axle stopping and traction may have been improved?? I seem to remember in the old days the more weight you had in the back the better it was... Just saying... Straps were rated pretty well and there were three seperate ones... And on the running into a family , it don't matter what you hit them with .. If it's gonna b a bad day not much is going to change that. All my trips to revy I have sen some bad ones but if you drive according to road conditions and not like. A moron you will usually b ok..

Sledding was still wicked ...

Your just not getting it !!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would get pulled over cause they banned lawn darts years ago.
Avy's are great!

waka

Reaction score
the station wagon back in the 80's had a steel frame running from the front of the car all the way to the back.
the avalanche does not.

mabey not but you should research what you post... it is definetly built on a truck frame... cant stand the haters... especially the ones with the physics PHD?? yah right... We passed quite a few police on our adventure and had no trouble at all... it looks funny, but I would not do anything that wasn't reasonably safe... and here are the towing laws from the bc website just so we are all clear...

Preparing to tow
The vehicle on tow must have valid licensing and insurance.
Only one (1) trailer may be towed at a time (a car dolly carrying a car is regarded as one trailer).
All vehicles being towed via a ball hitch must have safety chain(s) or cable(s).
A recreational vehicle towed via a 5th wheel hook-up does not require safety chains or cables
All vehicles being towed must have lights connected to the tow vehicle.

Maximum widths for Recreational Vehicles
Maximum total overall width for recreational vehicles is 2.6 metres (8 feet 6 inches)
Mirrors (only) may exceed the width of the vehicle by 20 cm (8 inches) on each side.

Maximum lengths for Recreational Vehicles
Maximum total length for a motorhome is 14.0 metres (45.93 fee).
Maximum length for a towed recreational vehicle is 12.5 metres (41 feet).
Maximum overall length for a combination is 20.0 metres (65.6 feet)

If you can find something that says what we did was wrong please feel free to post it... if not, I hope your done trying to make us understand your point of view...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mabey not but you should research what you post... it is definetly built on a truck frame... cant stand the haters... especially the ones with the physics PHD?? yah right... We passed quite a few police on our adventure and had no trouble at all... it looks funny, but I would not do anything that wasn't reasonably safe... and here are the towing laws from the bc website just so we are all clear...

Preparing to tow
The vehicle on tow must have valid licensing and insurance.
Only one (1) trailer may be towed at a time (a car dolly carrying a car is regarded as one trailer).
All vehicles being towed via a ball hitch must have safety chain(s) or cable(s).
A recreational vehicle towed via a 5th wheel hook-up does not require safety chains or cables
All vehicles being towed must have lights connected to the tow vehicle.

Maximum widths for Recreational Vehicles
Maximum total overall width for recreational vehicles is 2.6 metres (8 feet 6 inches)
Mirrors (only) may exceed the width of the vehicle by 20 cm (8 inches) on each side.

Maximum lengths for Recreational Vehicles
Maximum total length for a motorhome is 14.0 metres (45.93 fee).
Maximum length for a towed recreational vehicle is 12.5 metres (41 feet).
Maximum overall length for a combination is 20.0 metres (65.6 feet)

If you can find something that says what we did was wrong please feel free to post it... if not, I hope your done trying to make us understand your point of view...

Prove me wrong..
Does your Avalanche have leaf springs or coil springs in the rear ??
The Avalanche is built on a Suburban frame.
the only year of Avalanche that "came" with leaf springs was an 03.
If your Avalanche has been modified the RCMP will go by what the sticker in the door frame says and could care less what you have modified.

Chevrolet Avalanche Specs 2005 Avalanche Brakes, Suspension & Handling Specs
• Four-wheel ABS
• 3.42:1 axle ratio
• Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
• Electronic brake distribution
• Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
• Immobilizer
• Fullsize steel rim under body spare wheel
• Stability control
• Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and torsion springs , beam rear suspension rigid with stabilizer bar and coil springs

Last edited:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And really I could care less too... so have a good day.. .. As I stated earlier I was within the payload capacity of the truck, barely but within the limit so whatever... we didn't plan on the avalanche taking a sled in the box... but a ford let us down.. so we went... less then ideal, and barely legal, but legal... I worked for GM, and do understand the capacity sticker...

WELL, since you worked for GM I guess it makes it alright then...
But haven't all Canadians worked for GM with the bailout funding package ??
Just saying ! You have a good day also. Happy Sledding...

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2

I have a 08 1500 gmc crew. it rides like a dream, its quiet and it gets great mileage. Ive driven diesels and they are sweet but they are loud, and the suspension makes you puke, and if you have mudders and exhaust they are even louder. i always wanted a done up diesel until i drove one for 3 hours straight with exhaust and toyo mts and i was so sick of the turbo whistle and droning exhaust and shrieking tires. i got in my gmc and it was a unreal difference.......i would own one as a toy or a work truck but a everyday commuter NEVER

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prove me wrong..
Does your Avalanche have leaf springs or coil springs in the rear ??
The Avalanche is built on a Suburban frame.
the only year of Avalanche that "came" with leaf springs was an 03.
If your Avalanche has been modified the RCMP will go by what the sticker in the door frame says and could care less what you have modified.

Chevrolet Avalanche Specs 2005 Avalanche Brakes, Suspension & Handling Specs
• Four-wheel ABS
• 3.42:1 axle ratio
• Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
• Electronic brake distribution
• Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
• Immobilizer
• Fullsize steel rim under body spare wheel
• Stability control
• Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and torsion springs , beam rear suspension rigid with stabilizer bar and coil springs

I have an avy and want to know what the difference is between the leaf springs and coils. If the truck is rated for the load, does it matter? Just curious.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the avalanche does not.

avalanche
Maximum Payload 1601.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 5500.00 lbs

Silverado 1500
Maximum Payload 1573.00 lbs
Maximum Trailering Capacity 4473.00 lbs

overated suv? it has more payload...........dont make ch!t up, it maybe a chopped suburban but its still a truck and still has a frame. i just has coil and double arm rear suspension on the back, not leaf springs.

Top Bottom