Allowable overhang with a sled on a sled deck in BC

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why the discussion is about Commercial transport? just having a one ton doesnt mean its commercial does it ?
many of the commercial transport rules were adopted into the highway traffic safety act was what the officer told me. that is what we are discussing....trying to find clarification of which rules we have to follow as sledders.

from my previous post: Provisions of Commercial Transport Regulations adopted
19.02 (1) Sizes and dimensions as quoted in Division 7 of B.C. Reg. 30/78, made under the Commercial Transport Act, as amended from time to time, are hereby adopted as subsection (1) and made a regulation under this Act.

if you are not registered as a commercial vehicle, you are not a commercial vehicle.

Last edited:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• beatdeadhorse.gif
    beatdeadhorse.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 214

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The regs havnt changes in 20 years. after 4 feet you need a flag in the day and a light at night. A mini-van can be licensed commercial(expires sticker on front plate is commercial) No you cant haul a ton in a half ton truck. You will never be checked for axle spacing in a pick-up unless you are a complete dick and there isnt anything else to ruin your day.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
many of the commercial transport rules were adopted into the highway traffic safety act was what the officer told me. that is what we are discussing....trying to find clarification of which rules we have to follow as sledders.

from my previous post: Provisions of Commercial Transport Regulations adopted
19.02 (1) Sizes and dimensions as quoted in Division 7 of B.C. Reg. 30/78, made under the Commercial Transport Act, as amended from time to time, are hereby adopted as subsection (1) and made a regulation under this Act.

if you are not registered as a commercial vehicle, you are not a commercial vehicle.

This just goes back to what I have questioned a few times...in BC, correct me if I am wrong...all trucks are registered as Commerical Vehicles (or so it was when I lived there) so all commerical regs apply to all trucks registered in BC. Elesewhere (AB) we are not commerically registered, so do we full under the same category?

I am not disagreeing that the rules have or haven't changed, but it is sometimes too convoluted for people to understand when its required that you look at two different acts to get the rules. Cuso has it, but could the RCMP use the commercial regs as well?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO...
I think if you are using the vehicle for commercial purposes, then commercial.
Pleasure, then it would be non-commercial (even if it has commercial plates)

I use my pickup for work, I have commercial insurance... When I go to the mountains, I am not working.... Simple.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO...

I use my pickup for work, I have commercial insurance... When I go to the mountains, I am not working.... Simple.
My buddy got shut down for 36 hrs using his company truck (decals on the doors) and pulling a car hauler trailer to pick up a vehicle from Calgary, got stopped and DOT said because he didn't have his log filled out at all, he had to assume he had exceeded his hours of service.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
IMO...

WRONG!!!!!!

If you carry commercial insurance, and commercial registration, then that vehicle is considered commercial 24/7. You guys need to speak to your insurance agent and registry people and get informed.

Why do you have commercial plates? Maybe you dont even need them. If you did, you would know these regulations.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
My buddy got shut down for 36 hrs using his company truck (decals on the doors) and pulling a car hauler trailer to pick up a vehicle from Calgary, got stopped and DOT said because he didn't have his log filled out at all, he had to assume he had exceeded his hours of service.

why did he scale??? his gvw is under 4500 so i dont understand...

sub zero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Valemount 2009 and 2010 Conditions

if you have lights on the rear of your deck, it would be 4' from that point according to his words. for commercial purposes, they count "overhang" from the center of the rear axle. so anything beyond that 1.5m must have a light, even if it's 2 inches past your taillights. we got shook down just south of Valemount February long weekend, big check stop.

glad i just fixed the lights on my deck today.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WRONG!!!!!!

If you carry commercial insurance, and commercial registration, then that vehicle is considered commercial 24/7. You guys need to speak to your insurance agent and registry people and get informed.

Why do you have commercial plates? Maybe you dont even need them. If you did, you would know these regulations.

I don't have commercial plates.. Never said I did. I use my truck for work, and carry tools from jobsite to jobsite. Therefore I need commercial insurance.

I know someone who has commercial plates, and he said that he can leave the province, and use his vehicle for his own personal use just like non-commercial. Hmmm He may be wrong, but that's what I was told. He got the plates because he parks downtown a lot and gets parking perks.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why did he scale??? his gvw is under 4500 so i dont understand...
he didn't scale, was going through Mayerthorpe and a DOT pulled him over. his registered GVW is above 4500 for pulling a trailer and hauling stuff for the cranes, he has to run a log book any time he goes anywhere, including pre and post trip inspections.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont have a safety and fitness cert u dont have to use log books

gender bender

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies here but going to post it anyways.......Rolled through Valemount last night from Blue River....Got stoped outside of town by there local RCMP and got a 109.00 ticket for to much overhang on my sled deck.......He told me that they only allow 4 feet from the taillights to the end of the track.....Im way over with the 174 track so he wrote me a nice little welcome to Valemount please come again.......NOT........Total Bullchit......He said i needed a light on the end of the track to be legal.......
Just giving everyone who runs decks the heads up.

BD

probably the same guy that pulled me over and gave me that exact same ticket!!! bullchit is an understatement!!! jerks!!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I don't have commercial plates.. Never said I did. I use my truck for work, and carry tools from jobsite to jobsite. Therefore I need commercial insurance.

I know someone who has commercial plates, and he said that he can leave the province, and use his vehicle for his own personal use just like non-commercial. Hmmm He may be wrong, but that's what I was told. He got the plates because he parks downtown a lot and gets parking perks.

Sorry Bud, I read 'insurance' and 'assumed' plates...You know what they say about 'assuming'...

And yes, you are RIGHT, makes no difference for you as there is no designation between commercial/private use insurance. However, check with your insurance agent, I believe that if you carry commercial insurance then you are 'supposed' to carry commercial plates. One is really no good without the other. I dont know this for sure, as I have always carried commercial plates AND insurance, but it would be in your best interest to check it out. Not sure what you do for work, but it sounds like you are setting yourself up for a nasty suprise should you need your insurance due to an accident or the like.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
probably the same guy that pulled me over and gave me that exact same ticket!!! bullchit is an understatement!!! jerks!!

This has been law for about a hundred year! Ever haul a 2x4 home from Totem? If its stickin out do you put a red flag on it? Of course you do, so why would a sled be any different. I hate when people complain about tickets that 'should' be avoided with some common sense.

IF you DONT flag it, and get a ticket, then dont complain. Cops are just doing their jobs.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMFG you morons!! The scale rules are printed on 8X10 foot signs at every scale. In every town!!!What are you missing here? Its in plain english!!!!!
In BC the way to not run a logbook is to register under 11,500 kgs I run 11490 stickers and dont have to run a log book and scale regularly.
In Alberta after 4500 you have to do everything.
In my opinion if you are hauling that much weight and cant get this right please just stay home!! I have loved ones on those roads that dont need the added danger from idiots!!

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the same in ab if you haul over 11500kg i believe thats the the number u need your safety fitness cert and there fore need to run a log book if your under you do not

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Its the same in ab if you haul over 11500kg i believe thats the the number u need your safety fitness cert and there fore need to run a log book if your under you do not

11,790kg

However...leave the province even ONCE and you are required to have a FEDERAL safety fitness certificate...If you have a Federal certificate then anything over 4500kg, log books are required. Only exemption is the 160km radius rule, but by time you fill out all the date required, a log book is almost as easy.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you run federal it's anything over 4500 kg in Alberta, and 5500 kg in BC.

Top Bottom