How not to load a sled onto a truck deck :)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so I sold my sled to a fellow from Iowa, and we(SBR - Curtis and myself) drove to Calgary to meet him part of the way.... We completed the transaction and were in the process of going to load his sled on his 2012ish chevy 3500 lifted diesel in a parking lot in south Calgary. He was parked against a curb, with grass on the other side of the curb. He said he was quite nervous, because he's never loaded onto a deck before(and he had an older zx summit already on the deck). He said he just traded his trailer for the deck the night before. He drove 24hours non-stop to pick up the sled with a buddy, that didn't have a passport, so he stayed at the boarder in a bar in Sweetgrass. He started to drive the sled up the ramp and never had enough speed, so he backed down and looked at the steep ramp(probably only 8 or 9 footer) and got a little speed and got near the top and was worried about not making it, so he got on the throttle abit and wheelie heaven happened. front right ski hit pretty much front center of the roof, and he figured he better pin it and launched off and the track then landed on the hood and skis into the grass embackment. He of course was thrown forward and into the handlebars and throttle and over the bars he went... very lucky he never keeled of the side of the truck roof, when he was up there!!! We all laughed and made sure he was alright, and says hes a little bruised up today, but okay. He should be having some fun today as they're off to cooke city, with an awesome sled, and absolutely no damage from this antic.......... Have fun Mark!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to read that a couple of times. I had in my mind that you sold him your self deck, not the sled. Makes sense now lol.

• Staff

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
looks like plenty of ramp

it is a very short ramp and very steep compared to most 10 or 12 foot ramps.... This pic doesn't show it very well

funny thing is curtis was videoing him going up the first time he didn't make it, and stopped recording, then thought he hit the record when he was going up the second time and accidently turned it off.... Otherwise this could have been all over youtube :)

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yuppers, I've seen first hand the damage too truck cabs, box sides, tail gates, sleds and 3 serious body injuries from deck loading.

Yamaha in Red Deer had the worst wreck I'd ever seen as a rented sled went on a run away full bore into the back window with skis as the rider went up and over too land on pavement in front of truck.

It was not a pretty sight as he did not walk away from that mishaps. Broken pelvis, leg, spine, shoulder, neck, and head injury.

It ended that fellows recreation career from that day on.
Law suit went down and Yamaha put in throttle position censors on all their sleds the following year.

Glad the new owner come out of this good as it could of gone the other way.

Lucky me for 11 years of deck hopping as I was game too bail at many times.

A sled powered up on a ply wood deck of ice will fish tail till it falls off the side of a deck even with rub rails.
The track as going 100 mpr as it landed on top of buddy laying on the frozen ground as it,,, it,,, let's say flat.

Lucky for him the sled landed on its side and not track down.

Don't be fould as things can go south at any time.
We tell our selves we can jump clear, but not when we're laying down on frozen grounds of ice.

Be careful folks as it could be your last of all last rides in the matter of seconds.

My deck was gone after seeing crash #7.

Lem

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a deck but when ever buddies come and pick me up and they have a deck I get them to load my sled up their decks. That way I know it should be good to go.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same with me, I do all the loading if it's my truck and deck. That would be heartburn to watch someone ride their sled down the roof and hood of my truck.

Top Bottom