Allowable overhang with a sled on a sled deck in BC

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And where are you going to stick the magnet?

I like the idea of a light or set of lights (portable) on the back of the sled(s) that connects to the trailer plug. Seems like that would be a simple fix for Red Green with a little duct tape thrown in.....

Otherwise, a person just has to make sure they are legal cause it sure is a pita having to deal with it at a check stop. I noticed a parked trailer with 4 sleds at the Alberta scales (east of Frank) last Wed evening. Don't know what happened but after a hard day of riding that would be a little demanding.....
How about just splicing in a plug to your sled lamp and an extra one to your truck plug-in and have a connecting wire to both???

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep a couple of chemical lights or glow sticks in your truck and tape one to the rear bumper of your sled if you have to travel at night, during the day tape a red piece of plastic bag to the bumper.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Really makes a guy want to go to Valemount.....nawt!! I've made the better part of 40 trips to Revy with a deck and have never been bothered by cops. Way to crack down on guys supporting your town, I know where I wont be bringing my cash!

there doing the same thing in Golden. Follow the rules and no one will bother you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is from another thread, but the same issue, I found this light to put on the bumper of my sled for travelling, No issues as of yet. Simple and cheap solution.

should work but it's like $9.00 wtf:d

maybe bigawg just got the polaris tax and the cop was being kind:d

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have receiver hitch inserts that light up. Would this work or does it have to be raised up from the receiver hitch height?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really makes a guy want to go to Valemount.....nawt!! I've made the better part of 40 trips to Revy with a deck and have never been bothered by cops. Way to crack down on guys supporting your town, I know where I wont be bringing my cash!

while i agree its a pain varda and the village have little or NO control over this

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has to be at the furthest point away from the trucks tailight. It is exactly the same as leaving the lumber yard and tying a flag to the end of the 2x4.

So this being the case. Why is it possible that when we pick up air compressors / light towers etc. , that don't have the proper cord connections it's not an issue at all as the rental stores state that as long as your taillights are visible, all is ok.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on this guys. they take into consideration the tip of your snowflap as how far your sled sticks over. so if your snowflap is whats making you over the 4' mark then tie it under your tunnel and your good to go. its retarded but i was told that from a cop.

at princess auto i picked up tho lignts that are on a strap system. i tie it through my track and up to my bumper and the light sites holding the snow flap back. its a 30$ part and works awesome! snow doesnt stick to it like the deck lights at the back and yes it does. plus you turn it on when your sleds on your deck and you turn it off when its off. takes me an extra 30sec to do it. and hey i dont need the 290$ + ticket you can get for that. or hell even pulled off the road. especially at night. when i got pulled over. he asked me to tie up something red on the back.. good thing i had a little jcan in the box and tied it to the bumper and on my way i went.

why complain about something thats a Law. just go with it dont give attitude and guess what. they will start seeing that we are listening to what they have to say and are doing somethign about it and will back off. i have been riding in vale for about 10 years or more. and i never has a problem.

i have also got talked to in Revy Golden, Whistler Fernie.

just my $0.02

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So this being the case. Why is it possible that when we pick up air compressors / light towers etc. , that don't have the proper cord connections it's not an issue at all as the rental stores state that as long as your taillights are visible, all is ok.

you just haven't been caught yet....and they're full of crap.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a short box but then I have a 2 foot extension that I slide into my deck making the deck then about 8.5 feet long. Installed on the extension are 3 LED lights to the back, and then there is an LED light on either side of the extension at the back.
One of my sleds sticks out about one foot past this last set of lights. Do I need to now have another light clipped to the end of my track? I don't see why I would as there is only a foot or so from the lights on the deck to the end of the sleds.

Can someone comment/opinion on this?

I guess I am assuming that on the scenarios previously in this thread, that the decks are all only short decks with lights that are basically even with the taillights. Thus making it more than 4 feet from the last set of lights to the end of the sleds??

Anvil

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at a picture of my truck and I DON't have lights on the side of me extension. I just have lights to the back.

Top Bottom