Alcohol + sledding

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you start having lots of problems in life or get injured more than the average on the hill...well reality check. Life is hard when you quit.

Last edited:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take a six pack up with me, sometimes I they will be gone by the time I get back to the truck, other times not. I know my limits and will be a responsible adult. I like to have one with a friend or stuck person after we yank the sled out from a tree well or ravine.

I am with Booger on all his comments.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you still climb those hills when your like that hughie and not just sit at the bottom. I like watching good entertainment. FAS kids make the best sledders.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, I expected way more high and mighty opinions about this on here. It seems like the common sense of guys like Bogger and Tean Green have finally prevailed. PS there is a big difference riding in areas where it is just you and your buddies and no one else around vs. the mayhem of the popular areas. Just sayin.......

And would also like to add:

Attachments

• 285676_10151087171191759_729830057_n.jpg
    285676_10151087171191759_729830057_n.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We usually start riding at 930ish and come down around 5, for most guys to push back 6 beers in a day at 1/hr you would have to start drinking before noon .... :)

I'll post the same thoughts I always post on these threads when they come up....

To put it into perspective, most stock sleds have roughly the same power to weight as a Nascar stock car. Turbo'd sleds have a power to weight ratio closer to an IHRA/NHRA Pro Stock drag car. You don't see any professional drivers guzzling a Pilsner during a pit stop. :)

Some of you guys might be surprised what you might blow on the breathalyzer after a day of hard mountain riding and "only" a "few" beers. Everyone metabolizes alcohol at a different rate so 1 an hr might be too much for you. You are dehydrated from digging your buddies out all day, and something like 6 beers can catch up to you. Beer won't re-hydrate you. The BAC is 0.05% for an immediate suspension in BC, better hope you don't get caught in the parking lot nowadays with keys in hand. Those new laws are tough.

I have no issue with people having the occassional bevy, but I think people just need to be more diligent when they are in family-oriented riding areas (i.e. Boulder, Quartz, etc). Most people don't want to expose their kids to drunk azzhats. Hurt someone's little sledder and I'd put money on it that you will have a tough time making it off the mountain.

if you gotta pack 8 instead of just 2 for a day's ride, or can't go a day without the taste of beer....

If you are drinking and involved in a sled related accident, you can be held liable and your insurance could be null and void, just like any automobile. Your personal life just got shitkicked.

I'm not preaching for or against this debate, just that I've been involved in motorsports my whole life and seen too many bad things happen to good people when booze and high powered machines were mixed. Make a conscious choice for every decision you make on the hill.

Have fun and be safe.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We never have and never will for the simple fact that we ride with kids all the time. Our kids are aged from soon to be 21 to 6 and one of the things that I say to my older kids is "you don't need to be drinking all the time" or "you don't have to have alcohol involved with everything" or some variation of that. I firmly believe I need to set the example in that. That's not say we won't have a beer back at the hotel or cabin but not on the hill.

Jan

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To put it into perspective, most stock sleds have roughly the same power to weight as a Nascar stock car. Turbo'd sleds have a power to weight ratio closer to an IHRA/NHRA Pro Stock drag car. You don't see any professional drivers guzzling a Pilsner during a pit stop. :)

I dont know of a Nascar driver that that weights what the average sledder weighs. I may have a similar weight/power, but I lack the skill all professional drivers have.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally dont drink beer on the hill It dehydrates you, so I prefer water. If you want to drink on the hill thats your call. Just dont crash into me on the trail please.

Reactions: win

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group never brings anything up the hill, save it for after the day sitting at the lounge. If someone joins the group and wants to drink all i say is if you start drinking and then stuck i will not be there to help pull your ass out, pretty simple. The other one i don't get is the guy that has to light up a left hander in the cabin and then head out for a ride, not much better than drinking in my opinion.........but that's just me.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally dont drink beer on the hill It dehydrates you, so I prefer water. If you want to drink on the hill thats your call. Just dont crash into me on the trail please.

True, it does dehydrate you. But its just so darn good.........

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you still climb those hills when your like that hughie and not just sit at the bottom. I like watching good entertainment. FAS kids make the best sledders.
Oh hell ya, cant hold a line till at least six are in a guy after partying all night, takes the edge off

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if we decide to drnink on the hill 1 or 2 each period. if were pushing our limits and conditions are rype we wont drink so we can stay sharp if its a mellower day with a newb or something pack in 1 or 2 and pack em out

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I was expecting a lot of different replies than what most have said. Honestly I was expecting to have been smite down by lightning for opening up this can of worms lol.

Reason as to why I brought it up was, yes it's a common subject every year but, apparently we need to be reminded of the difference between responsible and stupid. As many have said, one or two beers on the hill is fine. I know my limits as well as I'm sure most of you know yours, plus it seems like the only days when any beers get drank is socked in days. I packed up 8 beers few weekends ago after that fresh dump of snow in revy on Saturda, first tracks anywhere on the hill, and I didn't stop riding till lunch time... Never even thought about having one mainly cuz there's a time and place when conditions are that good. But saying that, that Saturday is the day that all the emptys were found at the Super Bowl stacked together out in the open..... I am no physisist and I'm not entirely sure how 1+1 could possibly equal 2 but.. Common sense tells me that an empty beer can takes up about a fraction of the room a full one does and those beer cans didn't make their own way upon the hill. If you can't pack them out then you don't deserve to pack it in. Simple as that.

I love this sport, I'm still fairly new but I plan on riding for a very long time yet, and it would be a shame for 10+ years down the road when our kids are old enough to ride that all these areas that we enjoy would be closed and restricted due to behaviour like this. Just because u stomp a beer can in the snow doesn't mean it's gone forever!! Snow melts, and when it does I am sure what lays beneath doesn't give us sledders a good name, and with everything going on we don't need anything else to go against us. Some people say they like to "live in the moment", well I say we all should think about the future the next time you're about to or see someone else stomp a beer can in the snow!

Be safe, be smart and be responsible!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned do what you want. I love beer but choose not to drink while sledding.
When it affects me then your going to hear about it. God forbid you run into me or my daughter, well it will be lights out for you. Hopefully you will have friends with you that will pull me off of you, if not I'm going to jail.....

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was younger, much younger, I was at the lake sledding with some friends. We stopped at "fernando's" a colombian neighbour out there. We had some tequila, some beer, and some other quick shots.

Being young, stupid and all we went for a rip in the back of his property. There was a creek, which I forgot about and wanted to bust a drift on the other side. I had a little buzz going on, nothing too crazy... It was enough to forget about the hazards and I ripped across the field, slamming into the opposing creek edge drop off and going over the bars... Sled was a mess, and so was I. I couldn't walk very well for about a week.

Ever since then I said to myself "no more drinking and sledding"

I started sledding in the mountains a few years later, and still don't take any alcohol up with me, Some friends that started coming up to the mountains with us a few years later, were stuffing their seats full with beer, one guy bough a cat just because the seat could be hollowed out to carry a 15 pack. I refused to ride with them.

There are some guys that come up and take a few beers with them, I don't say anything. I will even accept the odd beer on the hill at lunch if someone offers..

When you see guys with the fake jerry cans, or even worse, they fill a jerry can with liquor, that's getting a little overboard.

I prefer to have a beer at the truck after loading up my sled... It just tastes so much better after a long day's ride.

All in moderation folks.

Here is a clip of some jerrycan drinkers..partying it up during the carnage at sugarbowl at a BIS.

Top Bottom