Alcohol + sledding

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been reading the thread over on the REVELSTOKE section and I was just curious... What are your thoughts about having a beer on the hill with your buds? Do you do it? To what extent, if any, is it acceptable in your mind? I know this topic may draw attention from the doo gooders but that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Few years back in valemount I met up with a group on a socked in day at Allen and we were just shooting ch!t, the guy must have pounded back half doz just during our half hour conversation waiting for clouds the clear!! Next time I saw him he was piled up in a tree with a busted up sled... To me that was irresponsible and just plain stupid.

myself, I usually pack up 4-6 beers, or one for each guy in my riding group and yes, I pack it out as well. Is having one sociable beer really that frowned upon as adults on the hill? Even when u see guys still drunk 10am at the cabins from the night before, but since they slept 3 hours they're considered fit to operate a sled??

Every so often I stumble upon an area where there's been a gathering of sleds and it's like a land mine field of beer cans.. I know this may not mean much to your average joe blow first time up in the mountains, but to all of us who cherish each and every moment we spend riding, on behalf of the entire snowmobile community I'd just like to remind everyone to be responsible, set an example, your mothers shouldn't have to follow you on a sled and pick up after you!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
90% of the peeps on here will very vocally speak out against drinking & sledding....

many of those same people will gladly accept a beer from me when offered if they aren't already drinking one of thier own.

For the amount of people on here who are so strongly opposed there seem to be an awefuly lot of empty beer cans in the bins at the cabins and probably 4X as many packed out as most of us pack out our empties.

This topic comes up every year and is much like politics and religion, on both extremes you have radical freaks while the remaining 80% just do thier thing and try not to draw attention to themselves..

I usually pack 3 to 4 beers for a 7-8 hour day in the mountains, local riding maybe a 6 pack for the day. If I have to drive a truck/car I will always be under the 0.08.....

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been reading the thread over on the REVELSTOKE section and I was just curious... What are your thoughts about having a beer on the hill with your buds? Do you do it? To what extent, if any, is it acceptable in your mind? I know this topic may draw attention from the doo gooders but that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Few years back in valemount I met up with a group on a socked in day at Allen and we were just shooting ch!t, the guy must have pounded back half doz just during our half hour conversation waiting for clouds the clear!! Next time I saw him he was piled up in a tree with a busted up sled... To me that was irresponsible and just plain stupid.

myself, I usually pack up 4-6 beers, or one for each guy in my riding group and yes, I pack it out as well. Is having one sociable beer really that frowned upon as adults on the hill? Even when u see guys still drunk 10am at the cabins from the night before, but since they slept 3 hours they're considered fit to operate a sled??

Every so often I stumble upon an area where there's been a gathering of sleds and it's like a land mine field of beer cans.. I know this may not mean much to your average joe blow first time up in the mountains, but to all of us who cherish each and every moment we spend riding, on behalf of the entire snowmobile community I'd just like to remind everyone to be responsible, set an example, your mothers shouldn't have to follow you on a sled and pick up after you!!
I also take a half dozen or so beers up. But not for just me. There nothing wrong with a beer or two on the hill. It no different than a glass of wine at a restaurant with supper. You are still fine to drive home. Being responsible is what it's all about.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there is nothing wrong with having a beer with your buds at lunch looking out over the tops of the mountains on a bluebird day(or any other). It's about responsibility. If you have a few beer your reactions are slower and we all know sh$t can go sideways really quick out there. You need to be on your game if something happens. IMO

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also take a half dozen or so beers up. But not for just me. There nothing wrong with a beer or two on the hill. It no different than a glass of wine at a restaurant with supper. You are still fine to drive home. Being responsible is what it's all about.
In BC if you have a glass of wine with dinner and get checked on the way home don't admit it. A friend did that last year and when she volunteered that info at the checkstop was promptly rewarded with a 24 hour suspension, under BC's new laws that is all a cop needs. Enjoy your day and be responsible, my group rarely takes any booze with us and if we do it is usually only one each.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoy a beer or two while out riding and have alwayspacked out what I pack in, 90% of the time I choose to not drink until the endof the day as I need all the strength and wits about me to keep up with myson.....

On the flip side, try talking to the summer uses about having the odd beerwhile sledding, was stunned to see pictures of what the area’s anywhere near a coupleof the cabins in the McBride area look like after the snow melts, between beercans, water bottles and left over pieces of sleds, it looked like a war zone.

Step in the volunteers again to clean up after most of ushave left. So enjoy your beer and as most of us on here choose to bring out whatwe take in, pay attention as a whole lot of people don’t....

PS have had the good fortune to sled, hike and climb all over North America, it’s the same sh*t everywhere, here’s hoping it changes.......

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't drink booze when I ride. I do enough stupid stuff sober. Most guys I have riden with do have one or two on the hill. Kept in moderation everything is fine. As long as you ain't drunk and wrecking stuff I have no beef with you.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my sled smashed into by a social drinker coming to join our group, no sorry no nothing. He sent me flying off of my sled. I could just imagine him driving his truck home. I tried my best to loose them, i guess they could not find their way back down through the maze of trees and openings in a snowing, foggy wonderland. I kept expecting to get hit from behind again.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Blame the person not the booze.... not everyone requires alcohol to be an azzhole....

I had my sled smashed into by a social drinker coming to join our group, no sorry no nothing. He sent me flying off of my sled. I could just imagine him driving his truck home. I tried my best to loose them, i guess they could not find their way back down through the maze of trees and openings in a snowing, foggy wonderland. I kept expecting to get hit from behind again.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
There's a difference from having a few beers and getting totally bombed out riding.

Did you know Drinking and Driving your snowmobile carries the same charges as drinking and driving your vehicle?

Use your heads when doing it, I'm not saying I won't have a beer or two while out riding. But I'm not going to sit down pound back a 12 pack and then go for a ride either. It's about moderation and being responsible......

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't care either way, I will have a beer or two occasionally while riding what I don't understand are the people that take 24 or 36 beer out with them. I really don't get how not drinking detracts from a day in the bush.
Exactly my thoughts, personally I like the old rum bottle after a long day riding when I get back to camp, there's enough drunks and chitty drivers without me adding to the group, not worth my time beaking the drunks out sledding but if they cause me an issue definitely be another story. I rarely take any with me but also rarely say no to an offered bevy, I'm enough of a dummy without drinking, I think some people take sledding far too seriously, it's supposed to be fun not a cry fest for do gooders, pack out what you pack in, otherwise have fun

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted this on another thread...... Nothing wrong with having a couple suds out on the hill, just pack out what u pack in and dont over do it, theres a huge difference in having fun and being a retard. Most of the guys I have ran into in the mountains that don't have a beer on the hill always seem to be talking about how hung over they are from the night before as they were up all night drinking. Is this any better? Ill guarantee that their blood alcohol level is way higher than mine even though Im having a couple on the hill and they are not. They get up and drive to the staging area way over the legal limit as its all still in their system but because they don't pack beer on the hill they are saints..........? Gimme a break, have a couple in moderation on the hill and don't leave a mess, my 2 cents

Originally Posted by Redturbo

Leave the god dam beer in the trailer! Your suppose to be out there sledding, not drinking!

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
No booze in our group. We save it for the end of the day. Would you take booze in your vehicle while running errands? Same thing, both are motor Vehicles and carry the same consequneces. Im more worried about being hit on the trail or my kids coming head on with someone who is packing empties. Its not cool no matter how you look at it. Just IMO.
Someone said they take 6 for a 6 hour ride......and wouldn't feel any effect. I don't buy it.
We need to set a solid example, no booze, drugs, Avy prepared, pack in pack out, chop wood, stoke the fire, good stewards of the environement, etc etc.

Have a safe snowmobiling day :)
RS

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are if you can't handle a one or two beers while out sledding you shouldn't be out riding cause there is something wrong with you. I take a few beer with me and usually share with the group. We pack out what we pack in and then some cause I always find more cans and stuff. But I never get drunk.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
No booze in our group. We save it for the end of the day. Would you take booze in your vehicle while running errands? Same thing, both are motor Vehicles and carry the same consequneces. Im more worried about being hit on the trail or my kids coming head on with someone who is packing empties. Its not cool no matter how you look at it. Just IMO. I don't run errands for fun and relaxation...
Someone said they take 6 for a 6 hour ride......and wouldn't feel any effect. I don't buy it.
We need to set a solid example, no booze, drugs, Avy prepared, pack in pack out, chop wood, stoke the fire, good stewards of the environement, etc etc.

Have a safe snowmobiling day :) ^^^^^ I do all those things, just happen to have a couple bevy's while I do them ^^^^^^^
RS

I'm not gonna chit on anyone for not drinking while they sled and I expect the same courtesy.... if I'm visibly impaired by all means call me on it, otherwise STFU...

I also don't agree with drinking in the cabins when Kids around, unless the parents are also having a beer. I don't flaunt my choices, I have no issues sitting off on my own atop a peak with just me, a cold beer and a cool view.....

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NP having a beer while on the hill
My bro and law and I would pack like 4 between the two of us
One up on the hill during a break (usually mid afternoon) and usually one while we gear down and load up (hours between the 2 beers)

other than that, I might have 1 or 2 more the whole night, and ride w a clear head the next day
the OP brings up a good point about staying up till 3 drinking, sleeping for a few hours, then up riding for 9 or 10 .... still hammered

i dunno .. I have to drive like 10 + hours to ride when out west, so Im not wasing my time while there
either being drunk or getting drunk and being hungover the next day

Top Bottom