Albertan "Advanced road test" / Get out of GDL test

rob350

Reaction score
Any one hear take it?

Im booked for Monday, im just wondering how hard it is/ what they all made ya do? any pointers?

Later today/tomorrow i plan to go make sure i can still parallel park! I did my first drivers test in a small blazer, but this time i will be taking the advanced road test in my full size chevy.

One traffic Q, at a 2 way stop (traffic to my left/right does not have a stop sign, but me and the guy across do) I stop before the guy across the road, but im turning left, he is going straight.
Who has the right away? AFAIK its me because it got there first/ treat it like half a 4 way stop. Am i right here? Just want to make sure. I have been cut off by doing both types.

bearclaw

Reaction score
books say minumiun 3 second stop, i would yield if its close. know you can get points taken away for driving to timid to, but i don't need to get anywhere 3 seconds earlier.

rob350

Reaction score
I hear ya,on my first road test i lost 10 points twice for driving 40 in a 50 zone. I felt like ripping the dudes head off, it was from a stop sign to the next stop sign at the end of the block. Why should i nut it, then slam on the brakes right away just so i can reach the speed limit in such a short area.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to parallel park, just park in a regular parking spot. I know there is a lot more things they look for, but really nothing crazy.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't parallel park, just hill park. I lost some points because I was driving in a school zone at just under 30 km/hr. It wasn't during the school hours and I lost points for holding up traffic :rolleyes: . Make sure you know your school zone hours and remember to slow down at parks. I went through park zones alot during the test. Shoulder check when turning!

Oh and remember to turn your music off during the test, he told me to turn it off :d ... other than this is was farely straight forward.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember to signal into the curb lane when turning corners - turn the corner ( do your checks ) and then signal back out into the main lane. my instructor was very punctual about this. Dont speed and shoulder check and you should be gold

rob350

Reaction score
Passed! He said its a 50 minute test!

10 points for driving too slow (same as when i got my GDL...)
5 points for cutting the corner on a right hand turn (idk wtf he is talking about, i take em half assed wide with a full size truck)
and 10 points 3 times for never checking down the railroad tracks (yeah, im pro!)

Same guy i had when i got my GDL, ends up he had a 91 chevy (mines a 93) so we got into a conversation about trucks for a bit.

The registries took my old license, and gave me my temporary. Shitty thing is i now have no photo ID, so i have been 18 for like 2 weeks and am getting screwed out of the whole bar scene again!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

5 points for cutting the corner on a right hand turn (idk wtf he is talking about, i take em half assed wide with a full size truck)
and 10 points 3 times for never checking down the railroad tracks (yeah, im pro!)

Same guy i had when i got my GDL, ends up he had a 91 chevy (mines a 93) so we got into a conversation about trucks for a bit.

The registries took my old license, and gave me my temporary. Shitty thing is i now have no photo ID, so i have been 18 for like 2 weeks and am getting screwed out of the whole bar scene again!

First of all, the bar scene sucks, if you've been there once you've seen it all. Second congratz, i'm still to lazy to get rid of mine. But question isn't it docked for 3 of the same things an auto fail? Was it that bad? I want to do it, but no way i'd be allowed in my truck, so taking it in a vehicle i'm not use to would suck i'm sure.

Any chance your truck is a stick? I'd really like to know exactly what they expect for standards, like downshifting, both hands on the wheel, etc.

rob350

Reaction score
Naw, auto. I know in the manual they say to not shift while going through a intersection or railroad tracks. Extra stuff like that.

It was not too bad, i also thought 3 strikes of the same was auto fail, maybe only for some categories? Or maybe thats only on the GLD test, not the advanced road test? Whole thing was not too bad, he seemed more relaxed then when i took my GDL test.

I had to turn left (no street to the right) and some woman in a van coming the other direction talking on the phone stopped in her lane (blocking traffic) waving me to go across. Im turning left, and she has no stop sign or anything, just a straight through road for her... After waving back for 10 seconds finally i said f it and went across. At first i though the examiner guy was exploding at me, then i realized he was exploding at her being on her cell phone and being such a idiot.

The reason i wanted mine was due to the fact that i almost got stung with a careless driving (6 demerit) back in the spring (stupid bitch.... The officer and the other person...) But anyway i already had a 3 demerit speeding (yeah, i was speeding i deserved it) So that would have blown my license. I paid for one of them "got a ticket fight a ticket" things, got it turned into a 2 demerit improper lane change.
Ends up my first 3 demerit speeding is not showing on my record (even the abstract) so idk how that worked, but im not complaining. The got a ticket fight a ticket people had said that as soon as ya can, get the full blown license. If something like that happen again and i can not get/win a lower ticket you could loose your license. This way with the 15 demerits ya your insurance will be screwed, but ya can still get to work.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's not like you got the rest of your life to go to the bar or anything.:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Naw, auto. I know in the manual they say to not shift while going through a intersection or railroad tracks. Extra stuff like that.

It was not too bad, i also thought 3 strikes of the same was auto fail, maybe only for some categories? Or maybe thats only on the GLD test, not the advanced road test? Whole thing was not too bad, he seemed more relaxed then when i took my GDL test.

I had to turn left (no street to the right) and some woman in a van coming the other direction talking on the phone stopped in her lane (blocking traffic) waving me to go across. Im turning left, and she has no stop sign or anything, just a straight through road for her... After waving back for 10 seconds finally i said f it and went across. At first i though the examiner guy was exploding at me, then i realized he was exploding at her being on her cell phone and being such a idiot.

The reason i wanted mine was due to the fact that i almost got stung with a careless driving (6 demerit) back in the spring (stupid bitch.... The officer and the other person...) But anyway i already had a 3 demerit speeding (yeah, i was speeding i deserved it) So that would have blown my license. I paid for one of them "got a ticket fight a ticket" things, got it turned into a 2 demerit improper lane change.
Ends up my first 3 demerit speeding is not showing on my record (even the abstract) so idk how that worked, but im not complaining. The got a ticket fight a ticket people had said that as soon as ya can, get the full blown license. If something like that happen again and i can not get/win a lower ticket you could loose your license. This way with the 15 demerits ya your insurance will be screwed, but ya can still get to work.

Yea that sucks, I HATE when people don't know when to go. But you got it so whatever, never got to worry about it again.

I know you cannot shift in those places and turning a corner, pretty dumb though. But I am just wondering if you have to downshift when stopping all the way down to 1st, and between shifts if you need two hands on the wheel. Did he really look over your vehicle? I am just worried because my front windows are tinted 5% if they'd refuse to let me take it in my truck.

rob350

Reaction score
Yeah that my thought too, ITS OVER.
Now to apply for a visa, get the FAC, bla bla bla...

He did a quick look. On mine he just check the singal and brake lights (30 seconds). Did not mention my clean (not amber) corner lights. The 5% tint is a allot more noticeable than some clear little corner lights tho...

But if you do it soon, just leave the windows down. he did put my window up/ down some, but as long as ya get onto the road before he starts moving the window whats he gonna do? He did not fully check that the truck was legal right?

I have been meaning to get tint, but i may end up putting this truck to the side as a project, and buying somthing newer.

Top Bottom