Alberta bill cracks down on distractions behind wheel

Your Thoughs on the new law

• This just "sucks".

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • It's about time "well done".

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • I'm to busy texting while driving to pay attention to the law.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Really doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Alberta drivers will be banned from talking, texting or tweeting on their hand-held cellphones and doing any sort of personal grooming while behind the wheel under a distracted driving bill introduced Wednesday.

Bill 16 amends the Traffic Safety Amendment Act to allow drivers to be fined $172 for performing a variety of tasks -- including using hand-held cellphones, MP3 players and other electronic devices -- that could distract them from the road.

Read more

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So eating, and talking at the same time is out of the question....boy are my knee's going to miss driving the truck!:d

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does that include the "finest" on their cells and the computors in the squad cars?? Had one cross the center line between the two lanes, come into my lane and correct himself. When passing him I noticed him on his computor......

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they included more than just cell phones, seen to many people reading, putting on makeup, eating soup etc etc etc. and honestly I see my driving skills diminish when I'm posting on S&M, checking e-mails and editing pictures so maybe it's not such a bad thing.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hasn't had much of an effect in this corner of BC.

One concern I can see is, young people freshly licensed, texting with the phone in their lap. It seems many of these kids can't keep their eyes off the phone, now those eyes will be in their lap. Hardly an improvement.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know who i send my kids schedule too to be picked up and drop off . They are the most distracting thing i have in my truck. It isnt the music and it isnt my phone or the coffee i have in my hand.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Seems only fitting that iam replying as iam driving to Loyd ??

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:Geez now i am going to be bored:rolleyes:!!! Oh_well;) light speed ahead,:eek: or is that warp factor 5 scotty!!!!!:cool::rolleyes:

SERIOUSLY

All I can say is it is about time...somebodies kid/wife/husband/grandparent will make it home tonight

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to outlandishly protest yet another government control.... I do have to agree that there is too much distraction while driving, I can't text and drive, almost cost me a front bumper....

It really is too bad that it has to be legislated....

And realistically why do they have to invent a new law, driving with undue care is already a violation under the traffic act.... just enforce the fawking thing....

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with them cracking down on texting, cell phone use, reading etc...aslong as they force the police to follow the same laws....I do have a issue with the no eating/drinking part of the law though, some days its just not possible to stop and eat lunch off the road, eating a burger is probably less distracting then carrying on a conversation then someone on a hands free device or in your vehicle:rant:

Greyhound

Reaction score
The only thing I never heard them say anything about was smoking or lighting up a smoke???

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no issues with them cracking down on texting, cell phone use, reading etc...aslong as they force the police to follow the same laws....I do have a issue with the no eating/drinking part of the law though, some days its just not possible to stop and eat lunch off the road, eating a burger is probably less distracting then carrying on a conversation then someone on a hands free device or in your vehicle:rant:

have to agree with you rider..... in my current position its very often that all I can do is grab a quick bite between job sites, and the only place to eat it is on the road......

however, I guess its time to buy that bluetooth visor mount for my vehicle, and utilize it.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a "professional" driver that sits higher than most and can see clearly into vehicles passing I must insist that this law be widened to stat that all persons of the female persuasion MUST wear long pants or dresses and loose fitting high collared tops as I am distracted many times a day in the summer and this would cost me a fortune :eek:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta like passing someone as they're weaving between lanes and when you look over you see the warm glow of a cell phone on their face.
No more!
I've seen people reading books, maps and flipping through their photos that they just picked up at Walmart.
Can't they ban hands free bluetooth as well? That would be a nice quiet drive :)
I was really tempted to buy one of those cell phone jammers from China. When I'm on the bike it works just as well though.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most who do it now and know it's wrong will still do it when it's made iilegal. Will having a law really change anything? IT does give insurance companies a lot of power to deny coverage to offenders. Time will tell.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
It is about time, but as I was watching this on the news I thought to myself, I NEVER see a cop when I am on the roads so IF I was to be an offender of this law I would never get caught. How many guilty people had the same thought.?

I have been tempted a few times to honk my horn at offenders as I have driven past them(for cell phone use anyways).

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put on 100k a year for my job. my job also has me all over alberta in less time than required. that means stoping and eating on the road, texting, emailing, talking on the phone. talking on the phone while writing a message on a pad of paper. i can multitask its not an issue. i have never had a problem or any close calls because i know when its safe to do so. no one on here will agree with me but its the way it is. from my experience i have noticed the issue is imigrants and women texting or not even. i will take these tickets time and time again and they will add to my pile of offences that have not effected anyone but my wallet. while the girl doing her makeup and texting eating bumpers like cherios raises my insurance and holds up my business. end of rant.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put on 100k a year for my job. my job also has me all over alberta in less time than required. that means stoping and eating on the road, texting, emailing, talking on the phone. talking on the phone while writing a message on a pad of paper. i can multitask its not an issue. i have never had a problem or any close calls because i know when its safe to do so. no one on here will agree with me but its the way it is. from my experience i have noticed the issue is imigrants and women texting or not even. i will take these tickets time and time again and they will add to my pile of offences that have not effected anyone but my wallet. while the girl doing her makeup and texting eating bumpers like cherios raises my insurance and holds up my business. end of rant.

Look is super man.:d

Sorry to be negative. I understand multi tasking but i dis agree its safe to do while driving. I am not trying to disrespect you but that girl doing make up would thing she can multi task as good as next person or as good as you. The law is to make it fair. This is one law i agree with.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am superman. and thats my opinion. if i held my hands at 10 and 2 for 12 hours a day nothing gets done. my office is my vehicle and you wouldnt understand it if yours isnt. like i said just my veiw on things. let me have it

Top Bottom