Aftermarket shocks.

Darren400

Reaction score
Whats everyone's opinion on aftermarket shocks? Worth the money?

- Elka stage 5?
- Elka stage 4?
- Raptors ?
- Zbros?

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about getting yours revalved?
I tryed elkas a few years ago, the felt nice on the small bumps but my xrs clickers where better in the big hits.
Air shocks are junk IMO, I rebuilt lots of them and rode them. Coils are still better when set up right.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran Raptor for last 3 seasons on my XM, can't see them being any different on the new Gen4. Great addition to skidoos not so favorable shocks.

ironkid96

Reaction score
Elka Stage 4’s are a really really good shock. We have a few guys in our riding group using them on 850’s. Really hard to ride with them and then hop back on a sled with the stock KYB’s

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, there can de quite a difference with the aftermarket. Elka stage 5s are big money, but not more adjustable than Raptors. Exits make similar set ups too. I think what you want may depend on how much you want to play around with them, because the sky is the limit ( or so it seams ). On Elkas web site they offer a package deal on a set of 4 shocks that shaves a bit of $$ off buying them individually. When i went into the dealer and asked they just quoted me $750x4 for the raptors... The other option is a Revalve, which saves money right now and do most of what the aftermarket does, but you may lose the adjustability depending on what shock you start with. I think the only down side (personal opinion) is hat if you drop big money on a set-up from Enzo(really goo set up from what Ive read) is that you are left with selling the set up with the sled later on. Aftermarket, at least you can maybe reuse the shocks on another sled or have something to sell if you return the sled to stock. So it just boils down to a crap shoot that you need to figure out which scenario works best for you.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you look the Elka Stage 4 shocks, there the best shock for the money. I have a set coming for my axys. I ran the Exits last year , they were a good improvement from stock but I'm excited to try these Elka stage 4's. With the current exchange and shipping and brokerage, the elkas were the way to go. thats my 2cents.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call or email Raptor. They gave me a discount because I bought a full set. They have a distributor in Canada so you save on duties. If on a budget upgrade the rear suspension first then the fronts when finances allow. Out of curiosity I rode a stock G4 and mine back to back and the difference was instantly noticeable to both of us. The sleds trail manners and bump absorption was so much better and I still need to make some adjustments. Raptors triple rate springs are nice because you run your shocks fairly soft for comfort but don't bottom out on hard hits. I run my rear torsions on 1 even though I weigh 210 lbs without gear. Saving up for their rear torsion spring delete ACE setup for next season.

Last edited:

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run raptors, my riding partner Oler1234 runs stage 5 elkas. I can tell you without a doubt that the elkas have waaaaay more adjustability than my raptors. Granted his shocks are far more pricy than mine were, but in my opinion they are also a superior shock. Not knocking my raptors, I love them and were a crazy good improvement over the stock KYB crap that comes on the package, but do not compare to stage 5 elkas, but not as spendy either. mind you elka is a canadian company and the price you see is the price you pay.

Top Bottom