A Revy Sled Bum's Tale: Another Season with Lilduke

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh ,off set rear axle and bigger rear wheels at minimum to make up for the smaller drivers plus longer track.
Could move skid back a bit also but as you know that starts screwing with the handling.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeh ,off set rear axle and bigger rear wheels at minimum to make up for the smaller drivers plus longer track.
Could move skid back a bit also but as you know that starts screwing with the handling.
I was just telling dan about SHR's T-3 relocate kit, moves the skid down and back a inch and little longer/ offset drop brackets, with this kit it is enough that you can still run the stock axle.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey you get a hold of Shaede? Last few days have been insane. I'll post a update when I get a chance
sno pro gave me the number and I passed it on to fellow who was looking to tag along with some one not sure how he made out.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been taking any pics really the last few days, but i have a bit of a story for you all.

Sunday, new year day me and my friend Adam head up Boulder for a ride. Beauty day, blue bird, deep pow and hardly anyone on the hill.
Best day of the year so far. Around 2pm it's pretty windy and getting low on gas so we decide to head back down the hill through the trees.

Was dropping down and noticed Adam wasn't following me any more. Guess my line choice sketched him out?
So I get to Valley bottom and there is a deep creek I have to cross and the snow was stupid deep, and I got stuck...

So I am trying to get a hold of Adam on my BCA radio (total POS but that's another story) but I tell him "drop down, I need help"
Our communication was poor at best at this point. I'm not sure if hes coming so I work at getting my sled out.
I spend about 45 min digging when Adam shows up,,,on foot. Im like wheres your sled? Says he walked down.
So we get my sled out, I start looking for another crossing and I get stuck again.

At this point Its getting dark, I'm low on gas, we are tired and it is 25-. Adams sled was parked close to the trail, so we decided we would hike to it and double out and come back for my sled the next day. Problem was that adams sled was 1km away, up a STEEP hill, in waist deep snow.

It was a 3hour hike in total, but one hour of the hike stands out from the rest. We walked back up in my down track as it was the only way we could move. We get to this one part I dropped about 200 meters high,40 meters wide,(clearing in the trees) 50 degree slope, cornice at the top. If it slid coming down on my sled I could have rode it out no problem, but we have to climb up this bitch or freeze to death. It was an hour to get up it, so no way we could do it one at a time. At this point death was a very real possibility. No terrain trap at the bottom and had bags on, but didn't make me feel much better about the situation.

When we got close to the summit, it was too steep for us to climb, but there was no other route that was practical, so we had to shovel a switch back into the face of the slope just so we could climb it. It was that steep and that deep, more scary then I can explain.

We made it over the top but still had to hike up hill for an hour yet, but we were past the "death zone" so to speak.
Got to his sled and tandem'd to the Cabin for a MUCH needed warm up.

Lots of mistakes were made and lucky it turned out ok. We made some good choices too and got off the hill without having
to call for help though.

I just had breakfast with my dads old friend Dave Nicovich who is with Revy S&R so I would have been pretty embarrassed
if I had to be rescued that day.

Stand by for Part 2 the recovery mission.

Last edited:

ren

Reaction score
Intense! Good to hear you're both safe. It's crazy how fast a situation can get out of hand!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So next day me and Adam plan on going up to get the sled, but I call up Shaede to help because I help him lots.
He says yeah, but he has two other sleds to get out to and needs me and Adams help.

Turns out 2 guys from Sask dropped the toilet bowl to the cliff line on a XP and 700 dragon...

They hiked for 14 hours! And search and rescue did have to go up for them.

So ok sure. We go get my sled out first. It was real easy took us 20 mins.

But now we have to go get these other guys sled out of the drain of the toilet bowl.

Ill add the Sask boys never helped us, they waited at the cabin all day.

I'm not sure what Shaede charged them, but any less then 2g wouldn't be worth it IMO
and here I am doing volunteer work....lol

Good charma I guess for me. haha

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Good to hear you made it out in one piece and it didn't dump a couple feet of fresh on your sled overnight. Karma is a good thing to pass along. It is very helpful at times. I just got new studded tires on my truck a few days ago, on my way home there was a super-b tanker spun out going up an off ramp at a set of lights, chained up, still spun i was just going to drive by him but i felt bad everyone was giving him the gears, and this guys out in a snow storm plucking away with his little chains spinning them off. So i pulled up beside him asked if he was empty, kinda knew he was already since he was just spinning, but he was so i ripped around again pulled up behind him. Got him off the brake and let the truck come down so i could fit my truck in front of him without blocking the intersection. Anyways, i pulled him up the off ramp, through the intersection and across the bridge until we got to the other side. He wanted to try give me cash, but i just said pass it on to the next guy. Said he was there for over an hour, cops came told him to chain up and get out of there. Meanwhile no tow truck would come to help him, the sander plow truck was suppose to be there an hour ago to give it a shot of salt/sand. I'm waiting for my Good Samaritan to help me whe n i need it. Hopefully you get help when you need it too.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Wondered what happened to you and Adam.
We played around above Super bowl waiting for you guys. Had some newbies so was restricted to certain areas as you know.
Could not get you guys on the radio all day.
It was damn cold that day.
Good thing it all worked out.
Boys kept me updated the next day as I was on the way home.
See you next trip Dan.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondered what happened to you and Adam.
We played around above Super bowl waiting for you guys. Had some newbies so was restricted to certain areas as you know.
Could not get you guys on the radio all day.
It was damn cold that day.
Good thing it all worked out.
Boys kept me updated the next day as I was on the way home.
See you next trip Dan.

yeah snow was so good we didn't really stop much. Plus it was cold as fawk!

it was a close call that day.

cheers Rick

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dan - nice to read there are people out there willing to help each other. What comes around goes around. Lots of different people in the mountains these days with varying experience. We all started at the bottom of the ladder so it's great to share your experience. Disappointing the guys didn't help out - sounds like they could have benefited from the experience. Most importantly Karma's a b**ch.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dan - nice to read there are people out there willing to help each other. What comes around goes around. Lots of different people in the mountains these days with varying experience. We all started at the bottom of the ladder so it's great to share your experience. Disappointing the guys didn't help out - sounds like they could have benefited from the experience. Most importantly Karma's a b**ch.

Honestly we were better off without them down there. Plus they spent the night on the hill and Shaede was getting paid.

I was helping Shaede out for free cause I'm a sucker for punishment. haha

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goddamn dude, that story gave me the creeps. Glad you both (and both the SK boys) made it out ok.

Live to fight another day!

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy, glad you guys made it out. From the descriptions I've seen of the toilet bowl, I'm still not sure where it is. I guess that's a good thing. I've played inbehind the cabin as well as above and to the right over the top towards the airport. Skied the heli runs, etc. Could you describe better where exactly the toilet bowl is or throw up a google earth picture with a pin? Don't want to end up in there exploring. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy, glad you guys made it out. From the descriptions I've seen of the toilet bowl, I'm still not sure where it is. I guess that's a good thing. I've played inbehind the cabin as well as above and to the right over the top towards the airport. Skied the heli runs, etc. Could you describe better where exactly the toilet bowl is or throw up a google earth picture with a pin? Don't want to end up in there exploring. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

yeah I can do that for sure. Just on my phone right now, but later when I'm
home I'll do a good explanation and google earth ext.

cheers

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were playing around up top behind the cabin last Saturday too... Lots of deep untouched snow with good vs. Then my friend says " There's the cabin, I can see tracks headed to it even"... we followed them to a couple good descents that got my heart thumping as we had 3 new rental 850s lol. I hope weren't even close to the toilet

Last edited:

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deep day in the Eagles Pass. Rode with Kelsey and Daylen. We were the first ones up the mountain today
so the trail was a highway, on the way down not so much....

(Didn't bring my nice camera, but I took a few on my old trusty **** camera)

Is Kelsey starting to like the 850 yet ...rode with her and Hanke early Dec and she wasnt to fond of it yet

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We where over above the toilet bowl with my friends young guy and saw those two come by us, the one guy just chugged on by like he knew where he was going, the other fellow laid back a bit and didn't seem know where they where, I mentioned to my pal that sure as hell S&R (Dave N) is going to get a call.
I knew I should have been a little more persuasive to stop them from going down there. Glad to hear they got out.

EmEight

Reaction score
Wow crazy story lilduke. I saw you at the cabin on Sunday. Was going to say hi but you and your crew were just leaving. Would be awesome to go for a rip with you guys some time. Glad the story had a good ending.

Top Bottom