A great avy video to learn from

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One guy we rode with asked us if we knew how to use our beacons we told him we did. He then said turn around and he chucked his beacon out into the snow near the parking lot and said " Now find my beacon or you owe me $400".
Thats a good idea to make sure everyone your riding with knows atleast some how to use there beacon im going to do this know if ive never rode with them..

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the thing...i dont make up things. having been a volunteer fire fighter, on the fire brigade at work, advance wilderness first aid, a canoe kayake guide, search and rescue...i HAVE some experience. not much but enough to say your 100 men comment is bogus and untrue. the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL. you really think that emergency people let family run into a burning house after loved ones? think it takes a hundred men?

not gonna debate any further...people read what they want to read. i mentioned in my posts that we take chances out there, no body is perfect, i make mistakes all the time. but i do my best to ensure all my equipment works before every ride. a simple pre-trip will eliminate alot of headaches and most importantly make the risks we take smaller. some think of this as educational, some dont. i dont need to see a vid to remind me to wear a beacon, to know that a hill like that is unstable. i dont need that video to remind me to keep a shovel on my persons. if you and others do....ok. has nothing to do with being perfect. FAR from perfect. i ride with others on this site. they can vouch for my thinking. we discuss areas when we get there (happened on tuesday)...how does it look? and as a group decide if its safe. a simple discussion can go a long way.

anyhow...im done, sorry to offend...i just love this sport so much. hate to see what we do bashed to ch!t and questioned all the time. this vid should not have gone to the news. that was my biggest issue.

"the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL.

spoken as if read from a text book. I have taken a lot of first aide training in my time and this is the thing that irks me the most. It is easy for some one to make the comment. " the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL." Put yourself in a situation like that and see how you react. I for one have encountered situations that required the said quote to happen, but it doesn't always work like that. I think the thing that you have to remember Mr Himark, is that these people did not plan for this to happen. Did they make mistakes? Yes. Did they learn from it? I would hope so. Did they share their learnings? I believe so as do many other who have replied to this thread. Some time we all have to be reminded of the mistake we all make. Just like taking first aide training every three years to keep us fresh and ready to respond in an appropriate manner.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL.

spoken as if read from a text book. I have taken a lot of first aide training in my time and this is the thing that irks me the most. It is easy for some one to make the comment. " the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL." Put yourself in a situation like that and see how you react. I for one have encountered situations that required the said quote to happen, but it doesn't always work like that. I think the thing that you have to remember Mr Himark, is that these people did not plan for this to happen. Did they make mistakes? Yes. Did they learn from it? I would hope so. Did they share their learnings? I believe so as do many other who have replied to this thread. Some time we all have to be reminded of the mistake we all make. Just like taking first aide training every three years to keep us fresh and ready to respond in an appropriate manner.

did you READ my post? please re-read and re evaluate your posting. i love how people read what they WANT instead of what is written right in front of them. take ONE line out of a paragraph and negate the rest. just as in my other replies. instead of wanting to correct some guy you will never know, why dont you take some time to actually read what was typed in its entirety.
the reason why what i wrote is right out of a text book...BECAUSE IT IS. funny they taught me this in my fire brigade training, my guiding course, and all my first aid courses. but...no...they dont know what they are talking about, nope....all these trainers over the years should have consulted with YOU. whats your name and address, i will be sure to have them consult with you.
so what your saying............dont take control of the situation......let people run into burning houses, let people run onto the highways, let people HINDER a rescue mission? just want to clarify what your saying?

LMAO....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I took a 2 day avy course in the Crowsnest Pass taught by George Field from Kananaskis Country. The first thing he told us on day 2 when we did our field training was when an avy happens someone from the group has to immediately take charge and direct people to do different functions. Beacon search, probe line, start a fire, send someone for help, etc. This is paramount as people panic when under huge stress. I'm kinda leaning towards Himark on this guys and gals.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I took a 2 day avy course in the Crowsnest Pass taught by George Field from Kananaskis Country. The first thing he told us on day 2 when we did our field training was when an avy happens someone from the group has to immediately take charge and direct people to do different functions. Beacon search, probe line, start a fire, send someone for help, etc. This is paramount as people panic when under huge stress. I'm kinda leaning towards Himark on this guys and gals.

Ditto: every emergency response course I ever took stressed the importance of one person assuming the role of designated coordinator or pure chaos ensues.
Avy courses included.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto: every emergency response course I ever took stressed the importance of one person assuming the role of designated coordinator or pure chaos ensues.
Avy courses included.

no, no...you guys are mistaken! it will take a 100 men to hold a woman back! taking charge of a incident isnt important! let people run out and get buried in a second slide, let them confuse and bring panic to a rescue, let them see their loved ones die!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you READ my post? please re-read and re evaluate your posting. i love how people read what they WANT instead of what is written right in front of them. take ONE line out of a paragraph and negate the rest. just as in my other replies. instead of wanting to correct some guy you will never know, why dont you take some time to actually read what was typed in its entirety.
the reason why what i wrote is right out of a text book...BECAUSE IT IS. funny they taught me this in my fire brigade training, my guiding course, and all my first aid courses. but...no...they dont know what they are talking about, nope....all these trainers over the years should have consulted with YOU. whats your name and address, i will be sure to have them consult with you.
so what your saying............dont take control of the situation......let people run into burning houses, let people run onto the highways, let people HINDER a rescue mission? just want to clarify what your saying?

LMAO....

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that it doesn't always work that way. Panic sets in and every thing goes for ch!t. It is easy to say what should have happened sitting here at the keyboard, but these people were not sitting at a keyboard. They were faced with a situation that required the Said quote to take place. Did you read my post? " i love how people read what they WANT instead of what is written right in front of them. take ONE line out of a paragraph and negate the rest. just as in my other replies." I guess what I should have added in my post is that not everyone has first aid training or fire brigade training.You obviously do, so the mentality that some one has to take control should come automatically, that didn't happen by accident, that happened with training and practice. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers, that wasn't the intent. I agree that someone should have taken control but that didn't happen. That is the reason that this video is such a great tool for the rest of us to learn from.

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished reading page 5 here and totally forgot what the original post was about. Ummmmmmm let me think here..... ummmmmmmm Oh ya ya ya I remember, we watched a video of a group that was unfortunately unprepared for an avalanche. A video of a frantic wife, a video of a fella that almost died.
It's the EFFORTS THEY MAKE to try preventing it from happening to someone else that I commend. They're the ones with the balls. We can sit here and argue on technique and strategy all day long but I'm real sorry but no-one's gonna win here on this post. So how about instead of beating each other up, I'm gonna ask you all to take a moment to make effort, in whatever way you choose, in however you choose, to do the same as this group did....

Anybody read this a few years back?
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...rOCjDw&usg=AFQjCNE7VyjEaOsXZm07Yt4t_7WFQReYvg

Last edited:
Top Bottom