A few bad apples trash Thunder Meadows

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
LMAO - No I don't have any secret spots!!! :D I just look around when I'm riding and not just at the tailflap in front of me.

I'm out until mid-April at least, hoping to get a few more days in this season though around mid-to end of April - getting scared with the lack of snow though :(

Will keep you posted for sure if you are up for a spring ride!

always up for a spring ride, even this year we will bee good well into may. the riding doesnt get good untill the middle of march, and screw people who ride in areas they are not supposed to just so im not thread jacking. cheers

johnno

Reaction score
I'm a skier and was at thunder meadows on the weekend. a couple of the sledders were parked along the ridge above orka bowl when we skinned out of the bowl. One in our party spoke very briefly to a guy - he didn't turn his sled off and when asked where he was from replied 'far away' and promptly took off back down the slope.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I'm a skier and was at thunder meadows on the weekend. a couple of the sledders were parked along the ridge above orka bowl when we skinned out of the bowl. One in our party spoke very briefly to a guy - he didn't turn his sled off and when asked where he was from replied 'far away' and promptly took off back down the slope.

were not all a holes so if you joined snow and mud to bash on us you have come to the wrong spot. we feel for you when peolple do this on sleds cause it makes us all look like dicks. we dont want it to happen any more than you do.

johnno

Reaction score
were not all a holes so if you joined snow and mud to bash on us you have come to the wrong spot. we feel for you when peolple do this on sleds cause it makes us all look like dicks. we dont want it to happen any more than you do.

hi team dirt,

no i didn't join the forum to bash sledders. i heard about this thread so thought i would mention my experience. every user group has people within it that gives them all a bad rep and i am not going to judge you all based on what is happening at thunder meadows.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The sled with the BCSF decal on it will be identified. It was blown up and the number sent to the BCSF for identification. It is not a Fernie Club member as we have checked our membership list.

This week will be interesting.

bcskier

Reaction score
A couple of signs have now been put up around the bottom of thunder gully and easy street. Hopefully they will help to prevent this kind of thing in the future.

Sign1.jpg

Sign2.jpg

fbraz088

Reaction score
i don't see how some people are supposed to know which ones are the closed and open areas when msot of the time there are no maps left and there are no signs to be seen. this is a step in the right direction for sure but riding in new areas is hard to identify these spots.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
hi team dirt,

no i didn't join the forum to bash sledders. i heard about this thread so thought i would mention my experience. every user group has people within it that gives them all a bad rep and i am not going to judge you all based on what is happening at thunder meadows.

right on, we can only stop this kind of happenings when we work together. there is no reason we all cant use the backcountry. some people are just dicks, i used to snowboard in fernie 15 years ago, we would work hours for some fresh turns and it sure would have sucked to have them wrecked by sled tracks.

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
I'm glad to see signage being put in. But in this case I don't believe ignorance was part of it.

You don't stumble upon this area by accident. First you must go through Powder Cowboy cat skiing operations (or alternately Island Lake cat skiing or Fernie Alpine Resort properties). So this is the first user group that gets upset. Then it is not a straight forward route, so local knowledge comes into play. For this reason people riding here know what area they are getting into and obviously don't care about the interests of other groups. Even if they don't believe it is a legally closed area they still know that a ski touring group has permission to have their cabin there, so why would they choose to tear up an area that these people put hours of effort into accessing??

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are dicks every where I was sledding in Sand Lake rec area today I met the guys from Powder Cowboy's Cat Skiing they had a group up there very nice guy's. There were signs down at the valley floor that informed me to stay on the road until I got to the designated snowmobiling area VERY CLEAR to me I have never been there before but there was another sledder from my province (Not with me) Ripping up the bottom end of the runs for the skiers NOT COOL!!! They had a guest tear ligaments in his knee when he hit a trench from a sled.
I just don't understand the blatant disregard and lack of respect some people have. My two cents. :rant:

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing really pizzez me off!!:stormzap1: I mean I can understand that this can happen sometimes unintentionally if they weren't from the area or there wasn't any signs but it sounds to me like there was. We all need to work together (mountain bikers too) so as keep the trails open to everyone whether it is summer or winter!!!! When will people get a clue??? Probably not untill the areas are closed to everyone........ :tearhairout:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen people ride right past big signs for boundaries and didn't even notice them until it was pointed out.
Obviously not in this case but snow is like crack for some. They need a fix and nothing else matters at the time.

Top Bottom