9-11: Where were you, what were you doing?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Prayers and condolences to the family members who have had to suffer and wonder about this incident over the last 20 years.

The one comment that I remember making at the time was, "the world will never be the same again!"

20 years later, because of governmental inadequacies, we will be on "high alert" in the coming months. Crazy how this world has changed!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly the Taliban have let 2 planes leave Afghanistan now and fly to Qatar with Canadians and US citizens. Never thought it would happen Doug.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Surprisingly the Taliban have let 2 planes leave Afghanistan now and fly to Qatar with Canadians and US citizens. Never thought it would happen Doug.
Do you think there is hope for more and/or some kind of peace over there? I'm thinking it is only going to get worse before it gets better and there will always be major conflict during the rest of my life time.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think there is hope for more and/or some kind of peace over there? I'm thinking it is only going to get worse before it gets better and there will always be major conflict during the rest of my life time.
Time will tell but I doubt it.:(

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the 2,977 victims killed in the September 11 attacks 20 years ago today, 343 Firefighters, 8 Paramedics and 60 Police officers were in New York City who responded to the World Trade Center.

Since that day 220 other Firefighters have died from Ground Zero related diseases over the past 20 years.

Today we pause to remember each and every one of them. #firefighter #september11 #stalbert #iaff

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was working for MCI Wordlcom in Albany NY on 9/11. I walked into the hotel restaurant shortly after the first plane hit...everyone in the restaurant was watching it unfold on TV and no one was sure what had happened. When the second plane hit, everyone instantly knew what was happening.

The call went out for O-Negative blood donors, so I went down to the Red Cross to donate. As an O-Negative, I was brought to the front of the donor line...just before they were going to draw the blood, the local Red Cross received the word that additional blood was not required. Turned out there were hardly any injured...people were either alive or dead.

It was such a brutal day for so many people...tears are running down my face as I type this.

All of the first responders deserve the utmost in praise.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I was just turning north off highway 1 up the 56 to head to an oil battery for the day. Worked till about 6 that day before I saw any footage of it. Was crazy listening all day with no visual image and imagining what was happening. The actual video was way worse than what I was thinking.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just heading to work when i heard the towers were collapsing, i cannot remember the exact job though, maybe building office furnature at the time.

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Albian Sands waiting for the company plane to come in. Was working 11 and 4 building the facility and it was my day to go home. The pilot landed and said we are grounded. Ended up being another 28 days before we went home.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A member here not me, probably non active. Aircraft controller in the tower Vancouver, when the aircraft needed to be put on the ground......great stories....frightening....amazing how it was done.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was at a previous employer where I was a pm for a restoration company. We spend most of the day at the next door business watching a small tv all in shock. There wasn’t any social media then.
Asbestosis, mesothelioma, silicosis and mercury poising were many issues that have been causing many deaths from then and still occurring now. The fireproofing was basically contained greater than 75% chrysotile asbestos that was basically all over the place same with drywall joint compound, ceiling tiles contain amosite asbestos, concrete dust created silicosis and the fluorescent bulbs that ended up destroyed caused mercury poising. Many other issues. Rip all

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at a previous employer where I was a pm for a restoration company. We spend most of the day at the next door business watching a small tv all in shock. There wasn’t any social media then.
Asbestosis, mesothelioma, silicosis and mercury poising were many issues that have been causing many deaths from then and still occurring now. The fireproofing was basically contained greater than 75% chrysotile asbestos that was basically all over the place same with drywall joint compound, concrete dust created silicosis and the fluorescent bulbs that ended up destroyed caused mercury poising. Many other issues. Rip all
Watched a documentary and they said more first responders have died from the toxic dust than the amount of people that died that day. Over 4000.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 years ago today I was having breakfast at the Esso truck stop in Calgary. When I walked in the radio in the restaurant was playing, the tv’s were on but no sound and showed images of a high rise on fire. At first I thought it was just a preview for a new movie coming out then the waitress was running around turning tv volumes up and the radio down, then the second plane hit. The restaurant was absolutely silent until one arrogant SOB next to me opened his beak and said “It‘s about time something like that happened to the US”. When everyone turned to give him the stink eye he turned white as a ghost, that’s when I piped up and said “I suggest you put your fork down, pay your bill and get the fack out of here while you still have 2 legs that work…he did.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 years ago today I was having breakfast at the Esso truck stop in Calgary. When I walked in the radio in the restaurant was playing, the tv’s were on but no sound and showed images of a high rise on fire. At first I thought it was just a preview for a new movie coming out then the waitress was running around turning tv volumes up and the radio down, then the second plane hit. The restaurant was absolutely silent until one arrogant SOB next to me opened his beak and said “It‘s about time something like that happened to the US”. When everyone turned to give him the stink eye he turned white as a ghost, that’s when I piped up and said “I suggest you put your fork down, pay your bill and get the fack out of here while you still have 2 legs that work…he did.
There's a commie in every country unfortunately.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at home and have forgotten which network it was on and remember it was more surreal than a movie about a terrorist attack on a movie that Denzel and Bruce Willis had done a year or two beforehand . My condolences to families of the deceased and injured. IT also must have been a very hard time for the first responders.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready for class in my second year of NAIT. Turned the tv on and seen what I thought was a movie. Turned the channel and that movie was on that channel and the next. Then figured I’d better watch as this was real. Just then the second plane flew into the building. Was amazing and terrifying to see. I was shocked to see that. Will never forget that! That day was a waste of time at school we sat in the lobby watching the news all day. Had a new found respect for first responders after that day! I was amazed at their bravery to run into buildings like they did. Rip!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 90 yr old grandmother at the time told me she rode in one of the first Model A's, lived through the dirty 30's, WW2 and many other major events and milestones over her life but told me from her bed in long term care she never thought she would see passenger jets fly into high rise sky scrapers on purpose ever in her life. It was something she couldn't stop talking about in her final years.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife and I were buying pet food in SW Calgary when work called and asked if we were back in Calgary - were in Ontario days earlier for a family funeral & just got back a day earlier. We asked why is that of concern and were told to just find a TV and go watch it as a plane hit the World Trade Center. We left the store, without buying pet food and sat in the car listening to the radio for about 30 minutes before we just went home and spent the rest of the day watching the TV for updates on the day.
I remember how quiet it had become in the skies over Calgary after air traffic was suspended in North America. I remember driving around the airport the next day, seeing all the aircraft on the ground. City roads were quiet, less traffic. It was surreal.

Top Bottom