9-11: Where were you, what were you doing?

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in entrepreneurship class in high school (was living in ontario). Somebody came in the room and said an airliner had crashed into the first building. We wheeled in a Tv and began watching, saw the second plane hit. The teacher also said 'the world will never be the same.' The rest of the day was much of the same, tv and discussion.

Sure enough, the world has changed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in entrepreneurship class in high school (was living in ontario). Somebody came in the room and said an airliner had crashed into the first building. We wheeled in a Tv and began watching, saw the second plane hit. The teacher also said 'the world will never be the same.' The rest of the day was much of the same, tv and discussion.

Sure enough, the world has changed.

Changed for the worst Jay. They almost bankrupted the airlines, how many trillions have been spent by the free world in security and fighting the war, and all our stocks and rrsp's are in the tank everytime something happens in the middle east. Yeah even they probably didn't know how much damage they've caused in 10 years.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was almost late for work at Cycle Works, seems like forever ago. It was hard to peel myself from the tv to get out the door.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sitting in Chinchaga, at km 160 waiting for a pilot had wells down for 2 days because all air traffic was shut down. Weird feeling.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine called to tell me to turn on the TV. I could not believe my eyes as I was just in NY for business and seen the towers. Needless to say my whole morning was in front of the TV with my wife wondering what is next. I actually traveled to Europe 8 days later and everyone thought I was crazy. I thought it would have been the safest time to travel considering the security etc. World has never been the same and only time will heal the tragic memories for many.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grade 12 Social class as well..... history was in the making and the teacher thought it would be more important to read 20+ year old textbooks. Watched on all breaks... then caught the million replays. Still today seeing those replays of those people jumping to their deaths haunts me.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in grade 8 morning class @ Fort Saskatchewan Junior high school, I don't recall watching it on a TV, but I do remember the principle on the school intercom relaying the tragedy to the classrooms.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woke up to the clock radio,half asleep I heard them say a plane just hit the wtc,Got up turned on the tv which i never do,saw the 1 biulding burning and thought it was planned attack in my head,went to the bathroom came out just intime to see the 2nd plane hit,couldnt really believe it was happening,thought about all the people above the impact site and how the were pretty much toast,just waitin to die,then it was off to work,I was grading a new school field at the time,then my buddy called and told me the towers fell,new then there would be major casualties.I was very wierd not hearing or seeing any planes as there is usually ton over this area.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at work and we were all gathered around the radio listening to the news. We have several deaf employees 2 of which are of Scotish decent. When they asked what we were listening to I told them Scotish terrorists had attacked the WTC and were demanding more beer for Scotland. They were pissed off at me the next morning when they came to work cause they had messaged their spouses. LMAO I'll never forget where i was.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finishing up a night shift at Fire Station #3. It was a very quiet couple of hours in the station. Couldn't believe what we were watching, knowing that this was an impossible fire to fight. Very sobering to watch thousands of people and some of our American brothers lose their lives on live television.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at work and we were all gathered around the radio listening to the news. We have several deaf employees 2 of which are of Scotish decent. When they asked what we were listening to I told them Scotish terrorists had attacked the WTC and were demanding more beer for Scotland. They were pissed off at me the next morning when they came to work cause they had messaged their spouses. LMAO I'll never forget where i was.

Not sure what to say about this. Easily one of the sickest things I've ever heard.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The families of those killed 20 years ago today will gather this morning at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum to read aloud the names of their loved ones - taken too soon - and observe six moments of silence. Remember with them. #Honor911 #NeverForget911

IMG_5508.jpg

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Story Behind The 9/11 Photo Of A Doomed Fire Truck Heading Toward The Twin Towers
By Hannah McKennett | Checked By Jaclyn Anglis
Published December 16, 2019
Updated August 20, 2020
Amateur photographer Aaron McLamb captured an iconic photo of Ladder 118 as it crossed the Brooklyn Bridge — not knowing that it would be the fire truck's last run.

IMG_5509.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a labor at Strathcona Refinery.
Working the stores counter.

Some one said a plane hit a building. We had no other details and assumed it was at the city airport here in Edmonton.

Then as others came by sharing what they heard, one of the stores people put on the radio, where we heard it was the twin towers in the states

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Albian Sands.
Lots of Americans working for Fluor.
Place slowed to snails pace for a few days.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready for a meeting at the finning branch when a coworker came in and said what was going on. We went into the meeting room and turned on the only tv in the building. Meeting never happened as we never took out eyes off the tv for hours.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't remember much of elementary school, but I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was in grade 4, my mom came in to my room to wake me up for school and said and airplane had flown into the world trade center, at that point I didn't know what the world trade center was, but soon found out. Watched on TV at home then at school, seen the second plane hit and both towers collapse. Life at school was consumed by it for 2 days after, of course we didn't mind not having to do school work not fully understanding the gravity of the situation.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woke up to see the first tower burning, got to school and the teacher rolled a tv into the classroom and we watched it from there.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was still living in Camrose at the time. Was working east of town and my dad called me and said WW3 might have just started. After work sat down and watched the news in just disbelief.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in Mb at a company meeting watched in disbelief (and will never forget or forgive as today’s bleeding hearts seem to) then 5 of us drove a rented van back to calgary as no flights, remember pulling into yyc parkade to get car and military with automatic weapons greeted us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom