850 vs 9r

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
athletic is right, this new machine at 180hp you need to be in great shape to handle it in the thick woods. straight up pulls not so much. But 180hp in technical terrain really takes it out of a guy. i wouldnt trade it for the world, but you do need to be in shape.
How do you do it then? 🤣

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Report back with your thoughts

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Well we had them out and we are very impressed with the 9R so far. Snow conditions were not great with the crust and still stuff to hit so we took it easy for the most part. But as far as the engine they both ran smooth and very snappy off the start! Will be nice to get a few more tanks of fuel through them and we put on 65kms the other day. Yesterday made a few changes to the suspension to suit my height and size and we will see how that works. Still haven't had my 2023 G5 165 out but want to give the 9R a few days then try the G5 out. The 9R temps stayed good on the trail. The new G5 out ran really hot and we had to shut it down and get it cooled off. Maybe an air lock or thermostat was stuck as after that it did well. Talked to a fellow out in the trees riding a new turbo doo and he said with the snow conditions he was feeling the extra weight of the turbo. There was a crappy ice layer under about 40cm of fresh and no base underneath the ice layer.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we had them out and we are very impressed with the 9R so far. Snow conditions were not great with the crust and still stuff to hit so we took it easy for the most part. But as far as the engine they both ran smooth and very snappy off the start! Will be nice to get a few more tanks of fuel through them and we put on 65kms the other day. Yesterday made a few changes to the suspension to suit my height and size and we will see how that works. Still haven't had my 2023 G5 165 out but want to give the 9R a few days then try the G5 out. The 9R temps stayed good on the trail. The new G5 out ran really hot and we had to shut it down and get it cooled off. Maybe an air lock or thermostat was stuck as after that it did well. Talked to a fellow out in the trees riding a new turbo doo and he said with the snow conditions he was feeling the extra weight of the turbo. There was a crappy ice layer under about 40cm of fresh and no base underneath the ice layer.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

I've been hearing great things about the bottom end of the 9r. Likely see a decent improvement once break in is over as well. I appreciate the feedback. Boost is up for sale and waiting on the 9r to arrive.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

StuckDownHill

Reaction score
Got about 150 miles on my 9R last week at around 6500 ft elevation and I can say it lives up to the hype. I’m coming off a 2020 Khaos 850 Axys 155 series 6 and the 9R is a Khaos 155 series 8. I was amazed at what I could point it at from a dead stop in the trees and it would just chew its way up. Not sure how much of the difference was the slash chassis but the 9R exceeded my expectations. Not night and day but definitely more capable than my 850.

StuckDownHill

Reaction score
I’m only a whopping 150 lbs and rarely find myself over 8000 ft in elevation so it was an easy option to go with the 9R. Was difficult to justify paying nearly same price as a boost but buying an 850 and getting carls 900 mod would have been more expensive and a bit of a hassle. So far I am happy with my decision.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need different clutch calibrations to tame 180hp. This is mostly where the bottom end is effected.

Bingo, and no others have talked about clutching and gearing. Try putting heavy turbo weights in a N/A and see how it runs. It would be a dog. Now consider a turbo with the same weights, but before boost is built. This plus the turbo lag. Guys need to realize that all turbos are disadvantaged over a N/A until they build the boost. This is why gearing down a boosted sled is a good idea when most guys think they need to gear up a boosted sled. Reduce the load so it can actually get the rpm's up and boost built. Even geared down these sleds will have high track speeds. Skidoo has done a great job with minimizing lag while the longer stroke adds torque to overcome the heavy weights. I am waiting for Polaris to release the 900 Boost so it has both the torque and HP.

Last edited:

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo, and no others have talked about clutching and gearing. Try putting heavy turbo weights in a N/A and see how it runs. It would be a dog. Now consider a turbo with the same weights, but before boost is built. This plus the turbo lag. Guys need to realize that all turbos are disadvantaged over a N/A until they build the boost. This is why gearing down a boosted sled is a good idea when most guys think they need to gear up a boosted sled. Reduce the load so it can actually get the rpm's up and boost built. Even geared down these sleds will have high track speeds. Skidoo has done a great job with minimizing lag while the longer stroke adds torque to overcome the heavy weights. I am waiting for Polaris to relaease the 900 Boost so it has both the torque and HP.
900 BOOST?????? Most people are still waiting for their 850 boost. :skidoo:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
athletic is right, this new machine at 180hp you need to be in great shape to handle it in the thick woods. straight up pulls not so much. But 180hp in technical terrain really takes it out of a guy. i wouldnt trade it for the world, but you do need to be in shape.

Okay, but how hard are you able to ride your turbo then ? You’ve posted many times about not being in the greatest shape anymore. Myself, I’m totally expecting to get my ass handed to me when my Boost arrives. It’s en route and I know I’m in for a beat down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo, and no others have talked about clutching and gearing. Try putting heavy turbo weights in a N/A and see how it runs. It would be a dog. Now consider a turbo with the same weights, but before boost is built. This plus the turbo lag. Guys need to realize that all turbos are disadvantaged over a N/A until they build the boost. This is why gearing down a boosted sled is a good idea when most guys think they need to gear up a boosted sled. Reduce the load so it can actually get the rpm's up and boost built. Even geared down these sleds will have high track speeds. Skidoo has done a great job with minimizing lag while the longer stroke adds torque to overcome the heavy weights. I am waiting for Polaris to release the 900 Boost so it has both the torque and HP.

I can only comment regarding the 850 E TEC turbo, these motors are not lazy or lag. The NA motor clutched correctly is a very fitting definition of throttle response as is the turbo version. Weighting up the turbo clutch works to a point then it gets lazy as it will any set up, gearing it down to compensate has trade off's. Especially if you are exceeding the 1:1 ratio as you can with Ski Doo clutches. Stock gearing is close, clutching is not. Clutching is always first, it needs to be correct or you are trading off something somewhere else.

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A super charger would seem like a logical solution, eliminating the lag. I've only tried out a handful of turbo sleds, they belonged to other people, wasn't really impressed.
In comparison I've tried a few big bore sleds that blew my mind.
Now I am no expert, far from it, but if I was going to build my own sled, a big bore seems like the way to go.

The Doo 850 turbo I rode felt heavy and sluggish, it wanted to dive like a submarine any time I wasn't hard on the throttle.
I'm surprised that the manufacturers don't all make an 1100 cc plus size engine, 1200 to 1400 cc might be perfect. Should be able to make 240 hp, lots of torque, no need for any turbos, intercooler, and just add gas and ride.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A super charger would seem like a logical solution, eliminating the lag. I've only tried out a handful of turbo sleds, they belonged to other people, wasn't really impressed.
Now I am no expert, far from it, but if I was going to build my own sled, a big bore seems like the way to go.

The Doo 850 turbo I rode felt heavy and sluggish, it wanted to dive like a submarine any time I wasn't hard on the throttle.
I'm surprised that the manufacturers don't all make an 1100 cc plus size engine, 1200 to 1400 cc might be perfect. Should be able to make 240 hp, lots of torque, no need for any turbos, intercooler, and just add gas and ride.
Weight.....

Cheers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight.....
Should weigh less than a turbo 850.
No turbo, all that plumbing, an intercooler up high where you really do not want weight to be, all the extra stuff a turbo needs.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't even want to know the size of crank or rods required to spin a 1200cc twin to 8k rpm. I'm sure the vibration would beat the machine (and rider) to death in short order.

OEM turbos are just scratching the surface of what's possible, mostly limited by the crappy 91 octane fuel you get at the pump. It's amazing how much power a turbo 2-stroke can make on Avgas when you turn up the boost. If you got the wallet for barrels of VP Race Fuel they really make some power when pushed past 10lbs of boost.

Top Bottom