850 vs 9r

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duramax has had the electric assist turbos for a few years now no?

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other consideration is the additional weight of a turbo vs na, it is noticeable. Doo has almost eliminated lag while polaris has not. Takes a more skilled & athletic rider to benefit from a turbo in most circumstances. Less skilled riders will spend a lot of time out of control and "behind" their sled. The power is addicting and oh so fun but will not help less skilled riders, na is still the call for many and especially those developing their skills in steep technical terrain.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other consideration is the additional weight of a turbo vs na, it is noticeable. Doo has almost eliminated lag while polaris has not. Takes a more skilled & athletic rider to benefit from a turbo in most circumstances. Less skilled riders will spend a lot of time out of control and "behind" their sled. The power is addicting and oh so fun but will not help less skilled riders, na is still the call for many and especially those developing their skills in steep technical terrain.

athletic is right, this new machine at 180hp you need to be in great shape to handle it in the thick woods. straight up pulls not so much. But 180hp in technical terrain really takes it out of a guy. i wouldnt trade it for the world, but you do need to be in shape.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a little birdie told me skidoo is going to use the shot capacitor to prespool the turbo next season. You heard it here first
If you have the big gauge, you already have a large heavy battery. May as well put it to some use.....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out tomorrow with 2 brand new 9R's and 1 brand new Doo 850. Will need more seat time than one day as tomorrow we will be breaking them in a bit and not going hard. Looking forward to the 9R.

Will be good to hear a comparison report for those that want to stay NA. Not sure I want to sell my Boost just yet until I try a tune but at 180hp the NA bar definatly is raised. The low weight of the 900 should make it a fun sled. Doo will be in catch up mode next year as the heavier Doo (even with a stiffer,narrow Polaris like chassis) will be down on power and torque. Hope your comparison ride goes well.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL no one on a G5T has anything to worry about with a 9R. No one with a G5T will be going back to NA. They are dialed. I can see how a Boost owner might want to go to a 9R however. The boost just isnt as dialed as the G5T.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doolaiders.......
Totally missed the message......
My post was not about what is clearly the greatest sled in the world regardless of conditions........
It was about the two Polaris sled comparisons that this thread is about.
Doolaiders....... no hope
Same shat every thread.......

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doolaiders.......
My post was not about what is clearly the greatest sled in the world regardless of conditions........
Nailed it! The 9R will be the choice of many who can ride whatever they choose. Unbelievably responsive, nimble and easier to ride that a turboed sled in steep technical treed terrain. There is a reason not everyone who can afford to ride a turboed sled rides one. Many (including some of the best mountain riders) choose a na sled....for a reason😎

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doolaiders.......

ahh sorry when you said doo would be in catchup mode next year the bat signal showed up at my office. Carry on :ROFLMAO:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nailed it! The 9R will be the choice of many who can ride whatever they choose. Unbelievably responsive, nimble and easier to ride that a turboed sled in steep technical treed terrain. There is a reason not everyone who can afford to ride a turboed sled rides one. Many (including some of the best mountain riders) choose a na sled....for a reason😎

9r and boost are the same price are they not?

which of the best mountain riders aren't on boost? Caleb? he should be, his videos are getting boring watching him struggle on a NA 146. Get a real mans sled with the shape he is in he could do amazing things with a boost. The ones that have boost are doing everything the NA guys are doing + way more. Look at keith curtis. He does all the flippy floppy turns just as good as any of them but then can point straight up a chute aswell. His stuff is more interesting to watch, its faster. Sure, riding an NA makes everything look violent and really hard to do but in reality the same rider on a boosted model would just fly through there like nothing.

Turcotte on that little girl sled 146 9R? hes the best rider in the world and his last video he was just in a big struggle the whole time. FUN. LOL

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9r and boost are the same price are they not?

which of the best mountain riders aren't on boost? Caleb? he should be, his videos are getting boring watching him struggle on a NA 146. Get a real mans sled with the shape he is in he could do amazing things with a boost. The ones that have boost are doing everything the NA guys are doing + way more. Look at keith curtis. He does all the flippy floppy turns just as good as any of them but then can point straight up a chute aswell. His stuff is more interesting to watch, its faster. Sure, riding an NA makes everything look violent and really hard to do but in reality the same rider on a boosted model would just fly through there like nothing.

Turcotte on that little girl sled 146 9R? hes the best rider in the world and his last video he was just in a big struggle the whole time. FUN. LOL
Keith Curtis was on a 9r in his latest video. I'm sure he has a stable full of sleds to choose from.

I wouldn't say Turcotte is the best rider today in the world, definitely one of for sure. Curtis is the Hillclimb champ, rips snowbikes and is a contender in hard Enduro.
Close competition for best rider between those to crazy sobs.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty good strategy by Polaris, make turbo for the boost crowd and offer a nutted up NA motor as well, suspect the 9r a fun sled as long as doesn’t go boom.

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much more is the 900r vs the 850?
Roughly 4 grand give. or take few hundred depending on options. My boost came in at just over a grand more than the 9r i had originally checked

Top Bottom