850 vs 9r

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any seat time on the 9r and can compare it to the Poo 850? Looking at unloading my boost and go back to N/A. Looking hard at a 9r but having a hard time justifying the extra cost.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out tomorrow with 2 brand new 9R's and 1 brand new Doo 850. Will need more seat time than one day as tomorrow we will be breaking them in a bit and not going hard. Looking forward to the 9R.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out tomorrow with 2 brand new 9R's and 1 brand new Doo 850. Will need more seat time than one day as tomorrow we will be breaking them in a bit and not going hard. Looking forward to the 9R.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk
Report back with your thoughts

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be interesting solid crank vs hollow crank - if my information is correct on 9R …

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s ur thought on the 850 boost ?
And What’s making you thinking of going back to N/A 9r ?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s ur thought on the 850 boost ?
And What’s making you thinking of going back to N/A 9r ?
The boost is a riot. It's gotten me out of some situations where I deserved to be stuck. Mapping could use some refining which it sounds like the 23's have.
One of my biggest issues is the fuel usage. I'm always the first one out of fuel by a long shot and can't carry enough fuel on it. Even compared to the doo turbo, it's excessive. I also prefer the bottom end of the N/A for the riding I do. I'm sure I'll miss the power of the boost some days.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, fuel consumption can be a big problem when the snow is good. Tipping all ur buddy’s tanks for fuel at the end of the day can cost u dinner also… lol
Just burnt!!!

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The boost is a riot. It's gotten me out of some situations where I deserved to be stuck. Mapping could use some refining which it sounds like the 23's have.
One of my biggest issues is the fuel usage. I'm always the first one out of fuel by a long shot and can't carry enough fuel on it. Even compared to the doo turbo, it's excessive. I also prefer the bottom end of the N/A for the riding I do. I'm sure I'll miss the power of the boost some days.

how does a turbo negatively affect the bottom end? i’ve read this a few times and it always had me wondering. different mapping?

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9R Review:

Attachments

• 1F97B552-CAF6-48C6-B7C0-C043457EF6CD.png
    1F97B552-CAF6-48C6-B7C0-C043457EF6CD.png
    595 KB · Views: 566

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
how does a turbo negatively affect the bottom end? i’ve read this a few times and it always had me wondering. different mapping?
Its known as turbo lag. Simply put as the turbo is spinning slowly at low engine rpm it is not delivering enough air to the engine and the intake is still running a vacuum and the turbine is restricting the exhaust. It takes a second for the turbo to spool up and start giving more air. So it steals a little bottom end until it gets spinning.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s why the Doo has the bypass intake no? It’s basically N/A until the boost pushes the flap open and adds.
I’m not 100% sure how The boost is plumbed.
Almost :) Two air intakes going into the Ski Doo air box, one is pressurized from the turbo. The second is a very large intake to atmosphere with a negative pressure valve in front of it.

When the motor is @ idle & begins to transition off idle a negative pressure builds in the box & pulls the valve open. As the motor accelerates & builds exhaust pressure the turbo is beginning the process of building boost. As that pressure builds in the airbox it pushes closed the negative pressure air valve that is drawing air from atmosphere. Lag & lazy throttle response has just been eliminated with a turbo sled.

No denying how well it works & I often wondering why the aftermarket turbo guys never copied this idea as BRP did. Not taken anything away the aftermarket as BRP stole many of their idea's.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But how is the Polaris Boost plumbed? just a wastegate dump into the muffler? like a Silber setup?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
skidoo made huge improvements into the bottom ends of these turbos. Being able to ride a 180hp sled with a close to factory bottom end without having to change your riding style whatsoever is awesome. That being said it is still not identical to the NA 850. The NA 850 is slightly more responsive. But any riders can learn to overcome that 1/2 second delay within the first 10 minutes of riding the machine and its a non issue. Its not even talked about

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s why the Doo has the bypass intake no? It’s basically N/A until the boost pushes the flap open and adds.
I’m not 100% sure how The boost is plumbed.
that's what i was thinking. the engine should be running as an n/a regardless of what's going on with the turbo therefore no difference in the bottom end so that's what got me asking.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But how is the Polaris Boost plumbed? just a wastegate dump into the muffler? like a Silber setup?

they have similar valves but just in the back of the airbox. Hard to say if it makes a difference or not because the boosts fuel mapping/clutching on the the bottom end is less than desirable. When they light up they go like snot but it doesnt have that factory bottom end feel. could be the engine design and lack of direct and boost injectors aswell. The turbo is also further away. All these little factors add up

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's what i was thinking. the engine should be running as an n/a regardless of what's going on with the turbo therefore no difference in the bottom end so that's what got me asking.

you need different clutch calibrations to tame 180hp. This is mostly where the bottom end is effected.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All turbos have lag, the intake is only part of the equation. The other is that it takes back pressure to spool the turbo, for a brief moment the pressure differential effects the exchange of air in the cylinder, which can be fixed to some extent with cylinder porting, but its still hard to cram the cylinder with a fresh fuel/air charge if its working against 10+ psi of back pressure. Not only that the back pressure from the turbo robs power from the engine.

In an ideal world a turbo would have a small brushless motor mounted to the shaft, so a small battery could spool the turbo when the throttle is pressed. Boost would literally be instant. F1 cars had/have this technology.

All this being said I'm excited to see the 9R out on the snow, if it works as I think it will I'd be happy to ditch aftermarket boost and go back to NA.

Top Bottom