850 Had a Death Wish

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son was riding this Polaris Sportsman (this last Wednesday). Had gotten it back from the dealer a couple weeks ago, where they had replaced a crankshaft seal, as it was leaking a good bit of oil. Anyway, he was out checking calves on it, riding it standing up, probably having a little fun while working. He goosed it and the throttle stuck open. He didn't get to the kill switch, but did sort of lose his balance and bit the dirt. The damn thing then went by itself for a good third of a mile, through 4 barbed wired fences, and at the end must have had a hell of a jump over a terrace and tumbled through the last fence and burned up. Nothing left. Nobody hurt and nothing else caught on fire. Shyt happens. Next day dealer gave us a hell of a deal on a new one and ate the bill against the burned up one.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is good that your son is not hurt which is always priority 1. As it burned up, you don't have to sell that POS to someone else :) As close to a win win as one is likely to see in this kind of case.

Was this your first Polaris or have you been using them for years?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A happy ending for sure. I don't ride a quad but would never ride my sleds without installing a tether cord first. should be able to install one on quads as well I'd think.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear no one was injured or hurt.

Toys can be replaced.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your son is okay,.. what year 850 is this as I have a 2013 850XP and have had no issues apart from the usual ****ty brake pads and worn control arm bushings.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's weird , scary situation for sure ....
Sometimes you wonder who is doing work on these machines while they are in the shop ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the thumb flipper must have hung on something. they have a safety switch that is supposed to engage a rev limiter to stutter at idle. if the thumb lever stayed depressed, it would be the only way it would bugger off unless the safety switch was disabled.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A very nice thing to here your son is OK. Sound like a combination of things happened.

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad your son is okay,.. what year 850 is this as I have a 2013 850XP and have had no issues apart from the usual ****ty brake pads and worn control arm bushings.
This was also a '13. It had the crankshaft replaced under warranty, and has had a number of issues. When they replaced that main seal recently, I have to wonder if the throttle cable got pinched or something in the process. One of their newer techs doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Have had probably a dozen or so Sportsmans (Sportsmen?) since they came out with the 850. Some have been good and some have not, but the throttle thing is a first. Have stuck with them because the dealer is real accommodating, and closer than anything else.

Top Bottom