850 ETEC, anyone break 5,000km yet?

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy way to avoid the hassle match the vin # with pump #. Cheers. Ain’t nobody got a Doo guru like my guru lol. He lives in Shambala an speaks ECM lingo lmfao.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy way to avoid the hassle match the vin # with pump #. Cheers. Ain’t nobody got a Doo guru like my guru lol. He lives in Shambala an speaks ECM lingo lmfao.
how does the vin number relate to the oil pump number?
the ecu and pump are supposed to have the same number. mine was pump at 5 and ecu at 8.

mikeydoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now i'm scared, lol im around 6500km on my 18. still starts but seems pretty shaky and viby. Time to sell it i guess by what everyone is saying.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ecu and pump are supposed to have the same number. mine was pump at 5 and ecu at 8.
Your are correct its ecm # an pump # that need to match. I don’t speak ecm so something musta got lost in translation between me an my guru lmfao.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I’m just going to do a top end on my sons at 3500km and know I’m good. My wife’s made no indication of anything going wrong. Lucky it died in our driveway at not much more than clutch engagement RPM so it wasn’t catastrophic. Could have just done a piston and cylinder but a short block was just easier to do at the time.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wondering the same but you'd think that if he didn't have the update it would have failed sooner unless the ecu value and the pump value were close enough to let it run this long. hard to believe though that someone like him isn't aware of the update.
Didn’t fail sooner cause it was in break in an was dumping extra oil already. Reason it lasted as long as it did.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it official, that MF sleds piled up due to not being flashed? Im guessing that sled would have been off break way before it piled up?

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it official, that MF sleds piled up due to not being flashed? Im guessing that sled would have been off break way before it piled up?
Lmfao was 2nd ride. Ecm wasn’t flashed with oil pump # match reason she blew.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks. At least they got it turned around in a short period of time.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is the verdict on the 850s? Are they a decent engine? Seems like alot of them for sale have new engines. Is there a known weak point? Anything a person can do to prevent it? Ie. New pistons if it's the skirts breaking

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is the verdict on the 850s? Are they a decent engine? Seems like alot of them for sale have new engines. Is there a known weak point? Anything a person can do to prevent it? Ie. New pistons if it's the skirts breaking

Sure seems to be lots with new engines at very low km.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots with over 5000 trouble free km too.

Seem about average as far as 2stroke snowmobile reliability goes

Rkwhite

Reaction score
5000km used to be the expected norm for 800's. does not seem out of the ordinary to me that they are failing. 800 E-TEC's seem to be one of BRP's most reliable powerplants to date as far as 800"s went.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had over 7000km on his 17, his wife has over 7000 on her 19, I'm at 3700 on my 18.
3 others 18 and newer I ride with that are over 5k.
Run good gas, good oil, use the summerize feature and don't blow belts and I think they last.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop a new set of pistons in 2500 kms, and put some oil in the tank as a measure of hope, but since the DI goes on top of the piston, its not going to do a ton for skirt wear but may help longevity. My opinion is there are several reasons for the excessive skirt wear and breakage people are seeing on the 850s. There's not a lot of oil flowing through the transfers anymore due to DI, emissions targets and oil pump settings. Take to dealer and crank up the pump and hope that more oil from the case gets sucked into the cylinder. A key change for the 850s - they went with a new encapsulated ring design on the 850s, taken from diesels, to promote better ring sealing and reduce vertical ring wear. Historically with a new engine you would have great sealing on a new ring and then once it was "broken in" and the ring seal was seated and worn down far enough, it would allow more lubrication past and therefore slow subsequent ring wear and piston skirt wear. I believe they've got such a good ring seal now on the 850 that (possibly) the rings are sealing better for far longer, and are wiping more of oil from the jugs, which in turn is causing accelerated wear.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop a new set of pistons in 2500 kms, and put some oil in the tank as a measure of hope, but since the DI goes on top of the piston, its not going to do a ton for skirt wear but may help longevity. My opinion is there are several reasons for the excessive skirt wear and breakage people are seeing on the 850s. There's not a lot of oil flowing through the transfers anymore due to DI, emissions targets and oil pump settings. Take to dealer and crank up the pump and hope that more oil from the case gets sucked into the cylinder. A key change for the 850s - they went with a new encapsulated ring design on the 850s, taken from diesels, to promote better ring sealing and reduce vertical ring wear. Historically with a new engine you would have great sealing on a new ring and then once it was "broken in" and the ring seal was seated and worn down far enough, it would allow more lubrication past and therefore slow subsequent ring wear and piston skirt wear. I believe they've got such a good ring seal now on the 850 that (possibly) the rings are sealing better for far longer, and are wiping more of oil from the jugs, which in turn is causing accelerated wear.
Is there a better piston to throw in?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a better piston to throw in?

re-building a turbo sled right now. in my opinion no... the ring lands have steel inserts cast into the piston. All aftermarket pistons are aluminum like a convention piston. Further more the ring pin is align in a much better position which is less suppression to it popping out. There's a reason factory pistons are now $400/ea.

All that said, standard construction pistons have been in use since 1950 and never had any problems building much larger HP per cylinder than any 850 2-stroke snowmobile

I thought RGM had 10,000km on his 20.5 turboski without rebuild. Typical stuff, warm it up nice, take the first 2-3km nice and start ripping. it will live a long time.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before the 850 got into consumer hands Doo was claiming lower than 800 oil consumption. We all know that didn't come to be. They drink that $90/jug elixir. By all reports the turbki is even thirstier. It's become a significant part of a rides expenses. Maybe all that oil isn't being directed to the right locations.

Top Bottom