800R Motor Problems

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope i dont regret selling my 2005 800ho had 8700km on it without a problem I upgraded to the 2009 800r i got 2 years warrenty so i guess ill wait and see if i every get any snow

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I hope i dont regret selling my 2005 800ho had 8700km on it without a problem I upgraded to the 2009 800r i got 2 years warrenty so i guess ill wait and see if i every get any snow

Seems to me the problem with some of those motors were the tolerances were too tight from factory. I got a buddy with one though and I must say he's never had a single issue. Well we clutched it and he rolled it a couple nights later!!!! Thats a whole nuther story!! :beer::d

Same thing with new sleds too. Different problems but it almost depends whether or not your machine was built on a "wednesday":d or a "friday":(

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all dealerships are crooks,there have been lot's of posts on here the last couple years on different dealerships good and bad.Personally.I woulden't buy so much as a bolt from marvelous Martin Equipment.Unless it was an emergency:twocents:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is for sure, they are crooks and up to no good again, another bent crank so martin has said, we will find out tomorrow what is what and this is on a 09 summit. HMMMMMMMM

j_w10

Reaction score
So ive heard of guys fixing the 800 motors with the liquid cooled cases by simply machining out the head and putting a thermostat in. Dont Qoute me on wether this works or not but worth looking in too. I had an 2000 700 summit that this happened too. I believe it pto side that siezed. That particullar motor has blowen up 3 times noww i believe with around 3300 kms on it. not same motor i know but same greased bearings on the crank. And as for only half of the dragens getting draged of the hill last year, that isnt too bad considering that i was told by a couple of dealers in sask. that every single one of the 800 that was sold last year in their dealer blew up and had too get rebuild. Pretty good hey. As it was said above they all have their prob, Even the Yammi nytro i have now, may not have engine prob but the terrible track, ball joints, front socks, front end susp. geometry, weak sub frames, heater grips, flimsy running boards, and a terrible rear skid just too mention a few. At least all this stuff is changable wich some people do anyway and they have fixed all these prob in the 2010 models. anyway just my 2 cents.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your 2000 700 does not have liquid cooled crank bearings like the 800r.

your problem is most likely differant. since that was one of the most solid engines doo ever had. something is not right.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ive heard of guys fixing the 800 motors with the liquid cooled cases by simply machining out the head and putting a thermostat in. Dont Qoute me on wether this works or not but worth looking in too. I had an 2000 700 summit that this happened too. I believe it pto side that siezed. That particullar motor has blowen up 3 times noww i believe with around 3300 kms on it. not same motor i know but same greased bearings on the crank. And as for only half of the dragens getting draged of the hill last year, that isnt too bad considering that i was told by a couple of dealers in sask. that every single one of the 800 that was sold last year in their dealer blew up and had too get rebuild. Pretty good hey. As it was said above they all have their prob, Even the Yammi nytro i have now, may not have engine prob but the terrible track, ball joints, front socks, front end susp. geometry, weak sub frames, heater grips, flimsy running boards, and a terrible rear skid just too mention a few. At least all this stuff is changable wich some people do anyway and they have fixed all these prob in the 2010 models. anyway just my 2 cents.

What about Cat??????????????????????????????????????? :d:p:beer:

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew mine this past weekend 1200 miles, szd up going 30mph 4500 rpm, sitting in Camrose waiting to hear the damage.

What shall I do go back stock or something bigger, what can I get a 880 kit for?:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
problem is you still need a motor for a big bore.

860,880 run around 2000-2500 for parts.

plus sending in your cylinders and turnaround time.

you need good cylinders ( can be scuffed and whatnot since they will be bored )

and a good bottom end.

if my 800r went down on the top end i would forsure be looking at big bores for it because i know they work and its not that much more to get a superior product.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew mine this past weekend 1200 miles, szd up going 30mph 4500 rpm, sitting in Camrose waiting to hear the damage.

What shall I do go back stock or something bigger, what can I get a 880 kit for?:beer:

get this...860 kit done by specialty....under 400 miles on the rebuild...all work done by them as well....sled has just over 1500 miles total. Mine seized up on the trail up Clemina last weekend...rode all day in keyhole and were going up to the cabin to show a newbie the area. No loud sound just like you hit the kill switch and died. Puff of blue smoke then full seizure....after about 50 wtfs...and a everyone in my group pulling out there cameras the antifreeze decided to come out the y pipe....:eek:

sled is currently at specialty.....

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:mad:Thanks for all of the responces. every one has great comments and concerns. still have not goten a responce from BRP as to my complaint for the bearing failure (12 days off warenty sucks the big one).

j_w10

Reaction score
Maxwell I realize that the 2000 does not have the liquid cooled crank bearings i was making the simalarity that it had the grease filled bearings on the end of the crank. And the first time it didnt realley blow at 1200 km i pulled the top end apart and the pistons were on there way out so i rebuilt it didnt know about the greased bearings at the time. second time it went was when the crank seized, the grease that come out was pretty dry i assume thats why it went only the bearings on the pto side. Third time not sure dont really know why it went dont know the guy that owns it just heard it on the grape vine. Any way kinda off topic hope they rebuild your sled for ya it kinda sucks when things blow a few days off warrinty.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 1200 miles on a 08 XP and seized up a crank bearing this weekend. 12days after the warenty expired. :( this sucks.
It is my understanding that there is a berring that is lubed with high tech grease and not the oiling system. The grease got pushed out and displaced resulting in the thing seizing up. what the Fudge

Any one else have a similar problem??? :rant:

Last year about this time my 07 locked up (2800km), called dealer and said he would call BRP to see if they would help me. Warranty was off for about a month. They replaced with a 09 short block but I had to pay $700 for labour and other misc. which I thought was fair. Two months later on my 08 XP,I noticed gobs of grease exiting the PTO seal. Brought it to the dealer, they pulled it apart found that the bearing was dry(3000km). They replaced the whole engine with a 09 under warranty, no questions asked:d I pull the primary clutchs off every time I get back from a mountain trip just to check for grease and give the clutch a good cleaning. Have never had a clutch problem with any of the 3 sleds and all still with original parts:eek:

Top Bottom