800R Motor Problems

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 1200 miles on a 08 XP and seized up a crank bearing this weekend. 12days after the warenty expired. :( this sucks.
It is my understanding that there is a berring that is lubed with high tech grease and not the oiling system. The grease got pushed out and displaced resulting in the thing seizing up. what the Fudge

Any one else have a similar problem??? :rant:

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 800R Motor Proplems

my 07 summit has 1475m now and it's always on my mind sorry about ur luck

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I should be good for another 1200mi or so. At least the top end looks good, no sigh of problems there. a quick clean up and it shold be back to gether tonight and ready for Revy after X-Mas.

Better now then back by Turbo i guess. When it did die it happened right beside the road. easy access by truck and trailer. :)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

one of my xps caked at 1200miles aswell. also about 10 days off waranty

its a combination of improper case machining, the new liquid cooled bearings and bearing failures themselves....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

also check your rave valves. thhey are known for chipping and breaking and flaking. the crank stub tends to be out of tolerance aswell. see if tyou can get a dial guage on it before you throw the clutch on

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

it may be worth it to take it back to a dealer and see if they'll fix it for you. i had my motor go about a month after my warrenty expired, and they 'good will' warrentied it for me.... i had around 4500km on it. the good will warrenty saved me around $2500. i still paid for labour, but got a brand new motor out of the deal.

and the best part, i got another year warrenty now.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently the lube in those bearings is only good for 300 hrs, you can repack the bearing, the pto side is easy as the plate isright there when you remove the clutch, the mag side takes some more hair pulling to get to. Stupid design, thanks BRP:nono:

Frenchie

Reaction score
I'm with Summit X, BRP has a 30 flex days for warranty I had mine go last december, 20 days after wty expired and Banner Rec. in Vernon replaced it no charge!! You might have to just push them a little and they should be able to help you out...
Good luck!

Frenchie

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention I did not even pay a cent!!! Not even for the antifreeze...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my 800HO pile up for the same reason and 23 days after warranty was up. Took a lot fo phone calls but dealer finally replaced at no cost. If you have a doo 800 they commonly pile up at about 2500 miles. never heard of the repacking but I heard a tube big enough for one lube rebuild is over $100. Actually piled up that motor twice, both times between 2100 and 2200 miles.
Not one of BRPs better designs.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well,,,,,,,,,, that was not the kind of service that i recieved at Marten Motor Sports today. I was told that when its up its up and it is out of there controle. There might be a slim chance of applying for warenty coverage but they would have to look at it first and submite a claim to BRP.

I am not impressed........... :rant:

Justin

Reaction score
Call the ''technical support line'' - 819-566-3366 They will at least start a file on your sled and get things rolling. I had a minor starter issue a week after my warranty expired and Martin told me to pound sand! After some heated discussion they gave me this phone #, BRP had no problem with my claim. It's worth a try.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call the ''technical support line'' - 819-566-3366 They will at least start a file on your sled and get things rolling. I had a minor starter issue a week after my warranty expired and Martin told me to pound sand! After some heated discussion they gave me this phone #, BRP had no problem with my claim. It's worth a try.
thanks for the advice, will look into it ASAP. As you know winter is short, Ride hard.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, will look into it ASAP. As you know winter is short, Ride hard.

Don't give up, it took a lot of calls to Riverside and when I asked for the dam number to call BRP myself they said they would check into it one more time. Next call was for a free rebuild of the damaged parts only. Lasted another 2000 miles and piled up again. Keep trying BRP is usually resonable, hard part is usually to get the dealer off his a*s.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "repacked" a few of those pto bearings on the XP's at my shop. The grease doesn't last long as was stated but they are easy to grease once you get the clutch off. Be sure to put in a new seal each time as well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "repacked" a few of those pto bearings on the XP's at my shop. The grease doesn't last long as was stated but they are easy to grease once you get the clutch off. Be sure to put in a new seal each time as well.

What he said^^^^ Good old ISOFLEX:mad: There is a place in Manitoba that sells it cheaper than BRP too, $80 for 50 ml I think, instead of the tiny little tubes that you get for $80 from the dealer. PM me if you want and I can get the # from my buddy for you.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well,,,,,,,,,, that was not the kind of service that i recieved at Marten Motor Sports today. I was told that when its up its up and it is out of there controle. There might be a slim chance of applying for warenty coverage but they would have to look at it first and submite a claim to BRP.

I am not impressed........... :rant:

Main reason why i got away from Doo. Poor service and motors are time bombs. My new cat dealer in Lac la Biche rocks for any claim, and they are personable. Will the salesmen at Martin sit and have a coffee during the middle of the day with you?

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help, just sent off a request to BRP. hopfull they see my side of it and come to the table. :)

Top Bottom