800R Motor Problems

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "repacked" a few of those pto bearings on the XP's at my shop. The grease doesn't last long as was stated but they are easy to grease once you get the clutch off. Be sure to put in a new seal each time as well.

Will a zerk seringe help to get the grease to the inner bearing or do you have to just have to force it in. Was thinking of using an old cattle seringe-pack it with grease and inject if there is no seal between the two PTO bearings. Haven't pulled one apart yet but plan on greasing yearly as this is the only real weak point of a Doo 800.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
will a zerk seringe help to get the grease to the inner bearing or do you have to just have to force it in. Was thinking of using an old cattle seringe-pack it with grease and inject if there is no seal between the two pto bearings. Haven't pulled one apart yet but plan on greasing yearly as this is the only real weak point of a doo 800.

this problem is just on the 800r, right? Not the older 800ho(2004 800 summit)???

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this problem is just on the 800r, right? Not the older 800ho(2004 800 summit)???

In 06 they put the cover plate over the seal behind the clutch making the bearings greasable. All HO and R motors have the same fantastic design of greased crank PTO bearings. Juniors sled will be a little harder to grease if there is no removable plate behind the clutch. Very easy to spot as it is brass colored.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 06 they put the cover plate over the seal behind the clutch making the bearings greasable. All HO and R motors have the same fantastic design of greased crank PTO bearings. Juniors sled will be a little harder to grease if there is no removable plate behind the clutch. Very easy to spot as it is brass colored.
I believe this is why some of the 800's don't take well to the 827 kit. Extra crank pressure in an already small bottom end pushes the seal out if there is no cover plate. You get an air leak in the botton end and shortly there after a SQUEAK!!! My apprentices have had this happen several times. It's a split the cases job to reinstall the seal if you see it in time. Just ask Matt or Andrew...thats why they wanted my 06 block after I detroyed the crank.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i believe this is why some of the 800's don't take well to the 827 kit. Extra crank pressure in an already small bottom end pushes the seal out if there is no cover plate. You get an air leak in the botton end and shortly there after a squeak!!! My apprentices have had this happen several times. It's a split the cases job to reinstall the seal if you see it in time. Just ask matt or andrew...thats why they wanted my 06 block after i detroyed the crank.

i wonder why we've seen rev 800's with 7 or 8000kms or more without a stich of problems????

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder why we've seen rev 800's with 7 or 8000kms or more without a stich of problems????

Sorry, don't have all the answers. Just luck, maybe some smuck on the line is saving on grease once in a while???:d:d:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are forgetting the main issue. its not just the issoflex. in the 800r brp added water cooling to the crank bearings. good idea how ever they forgot that it would be used in snow and constant temperature variation conditions. the 2009 motors now have a waterjacket thermostat to keep a constant temperature in the bottom end. this was causeing an already to tight and improperly machined bottom end shrink and expand and rapid rates creating problems. there are less crankshaft failures with the new 800r motors.

this was not a issue with the series 3 800 motors. only isoflex life. which on those motors was not unusual to see 6000-8000km on a bottom end.

ps i dont know what you are saying about the 827 kit i have never seen a crank related failure due to the 827 kit?

i run 3 of them. and even through my readings have never come across a crank faulire from the 827 kit. the 800 series 3 takes very well to the 827. ride mine.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you guys are forgetting the main issue. its not just the issoflex. in the 800r brp added water cooling to the crank bearings. good idea how ever they forgot that it would be used in snow and constant temperature variation conditions. the 2009 motors now have a waterjacket thermostat to keep a constant temperature in the bottom end. this was causeing an already to tight and improperly machined bottom end shrink and expand and rapid rates creating problems. there are less crankshaft failures with the new 800r motors.

this was not a issue with the series 3 800 motors. only isoflex life. which on those motors was not unusual to see 6000-8000km on a bottom end.

ps i dont know what you are saying about the 827 kit i have never seen a crank related failure due to the 827 kit?

i run 3 of them. and even through my readings have never come across a crank faulire from the 827 kit. the 800 series 3 takes very well to the 827. ride mine.

so if I blew my mortor would a 2010 motor fit in a 07 summit?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are some differant mounting locations on the block for the 2008-2010 motors due to the way differant chassis they are in. simple answer would be NO lol

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's not the cranks that fail, the seal pushes out causing an air leak and a subsiquent siezure. The have high comp heads and nitrous so not sure where the real problem lies but this has happened to them three times.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy and arctic cat and get rid of all the troubles boys!

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been lookin at them alot but i could c a 2010 summit 146 or 2011 i'll sell my sled in the spring

Last edited:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy and arctic cat and get rid of all the troubles boys!

Ya like there trouble free,they all have trouble,in my riding party theres a mix of ACs,Polaris and Doos,theyve all had trouble at one time or another,lot of hp out of little engines,things go,no different then any other engine,tryin to get lighter with more hp your going to lose longevity plus reliability.Its just the way it goes with motors,just my 2cnts:).We all want light wieght machines with lots of power so thats what they all try to give us,problems included,you want to ride without worry get a 4stroke Yami and leave it that way,reliable but not to powerfull,the choice is ours.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not the cranks that fail, the seal pushes out causing an air leak and a subsiquent siezure. The have high comp heads and nitrous so not sure where the real problem lies but this has happened to them three times.

and why does the seal come out...dimensional change in the material...:beer:

ps. yes i know the cranks are always good. just bearings

however everyone should always check there crank stub runout. its amazing what kind of crap comes right from the factory. this causes HUGE stress on the bearings. like twisting an axel then driving 500km/h

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for every cat oor polaris there is probly 3 doos on the hill. everytime one goes down everyone makes a huge deal.

sorry but if your spending 12g on a new machine why buy 10 year old chassis technology?

skidoo is the only innovative company there is. IMO

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for every cat oor polaris there is probly 3 doos on the hill. everytime one goes down everyone makes a huge deal.

sorry but if your spending 12g on a new machine why buy 10 year old chassis technology?

skidoo is the only innovative company there is. IMO

X2....it is @ least 3 to 1 for the doos thats why you hear about their problems more because there are so many out there. Last yr 1/2 the dragons out there were drug off the mountian on the end of a rope...but with so few sold who even noticed...lol.

Top Bottom