800R Motor Problems

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have "repacked" a few of those pto bearings on the XP's at my shop. The grease doesn't last long as was stated but they are easy to grease once you get the clutch off. Be sure to put in a new seal each time as well.

Alright, so how do i do this, is there a page in the service manual about it? does anyone have a diagram? i have clutches off my 08XP right now and want to check it... Also wouldn't mind doing this to my 07 at 4000k's and never have done it... I only have the manual for the 07...

Sounds serious... i need my motor to last at least another 1-2 seasons...

there are some differant mounting locations on the block for the 2008-2010 motors due to the way differant chassis they are in. simple answer would be NO lol

That's odd, so how come you see all these 07's that had motor failures and they were replaced with 08 motors? I thought that's what BRP started to do after fixing the 07 motors didn't help anything...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont have an answer for you. brp says alot of things. and also forget to mention alot of things. like the 2007-2008 notorious rave valve failures!!!

either way the 2007 800r uses a motor plate like how all rev motors mount.

the 2008 xp does not use a motor plate at all. all mounting locations are on the face of the motor. go look. you will see what i mean. there are no mounting locations on the bottom of the motor for the xp.

that being said i would guess the 08 "replacement" is just an updated version of a 2007 revision. rather than a true xp block.

but

i supose there is the possibility that maybe the xp 800r has the origional 4 mounting stud locations on the bottom of the motor still cast into the casing. then you could just install 4 mounting studs and use that motor.

but im not sure i have never had to do this.

so i guess i really shouldnt go around saying you cant? lol

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so can I buy a 800r mortor that is like the newer 09....what are the other 07's doin when they blow(to fix the problem)...what's the point in keeping it if I'm gonna have the same problem over and over...I always hear guys sayin they got newer motors

freeride69

Reaction score
so here's my deal with the 07 800r motor, it seized and broke loose 2 times in valemount 2 weeks ago, i took it to martin south for possible warranty, they tore it down which by the way will cost me $600 for something i can do myself, for them to find out that skidoo told them no warranty
now i understand its out of warranty but here's my dilema...the sled NEVER worked right from the start, it would always labour down to 6500 rpm when it was hot and barely move, the drive clutch was warrantied 3 times for failure and 2 times martin could not find any problems when it was on warranty...now off warranty the mag side crank bearings blow and on a completly unrelated issue the piston on the pto side has a big crack in it....bomb. wont do a thing and ive been screwed with a sled that needs a whole new motor because i still dont know what the reason for the failure was
thankyou have a nice day BRP

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so here's my deal with the 07 800r motor, it seized and broke loose 2 times in valemount 2 weeks ago, i took it to martin south for possible warranty, they tore it down which by the way will cost me $600 for something i can do myself, for them to find out that skidoo told them no warranty

what is this xrs x or adreline

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so can I buy a 800r mortor that is like the newer 09....what are the other 07's doin when they blow(to fix the problem)...what's the point in keeping it if I'm gonna have the same problem over and over...I always hear guys sayin they got newer motors

if yours hasnt gone yet take the opportunity to update it. repack the bearings and replace the rave valves.

might last a while longer for ya.

im not sure about the motors. dealer would be the one to talk to about that

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if yours hasnt gone yet take the opportunity to update it. repack the bearings and replace the rave valves.

might last a while longer for ya.

im not sure about the motors. dealer would be the one to talk to about that

I'd rather let it blow up than waste money on a waste of time...1475m on my adreline...from what I've herd they arnt as bad is there any truth to that?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol no its the same motor same problems. so preventitive maintenance 150$

new motor installed 3500? + 1000$ heli ride.

i take it you have warranty still

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no just would like somthing reliable but all my parts have been self inflicted..I don't have the knowlege to be tearin motors apart just yet, that's somthing sombody will have to show me and out of my friends I would say I know the most.....so where does that leave me Payin 80-100h 4 labour! :mad: sore ass and still learnt nothing!

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now i understand its out of warranty but here's my dilema...the sled NEVER worked right from the start, it would always labour down to 6500 rpm when it was hot and barely move, the drive clutch was warrantied 3 times for failure and 2 times martin could not find any problems when it was on warranty...now off warranty the mag side crank bearings blow and on a completly unrelated issue the piston on the pto side has a big crack in it....bomb. wont do a thing and ive been screwed with a sled that needs a whole new motor because i still dont know what the reason for the failure was

Th rpm problem was likely not the motor or at least not the crank. Either the exh valves or more than likely the buttons in the primary too tight. The went away from the spring loaded buttons and fit them tighter, but when the motor warms up they jam in the sliding sheave. I have machined them to fix the problem. Also the secondarys don't back shift like they should and this results in a low rpm condition. I have a spring for the secondary that really helps this as well.
I have isoflex grease for $45 at the shop here.

duner

Reaction score
There is an 07 R motor for sale in the engine section if someone wanted a spare. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to have one:d Wouldn't hurt to have a spare motor for all sleds for that matter!:eek:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an 07 R motor for sale in the engine section if someone wanted a spare. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to have one:d Wouldn't hurt to have a spare motor for all sleds for that matter!:eek:

I have a spare motor for each of my sleds....if that tells you anything....

crowsfeet

Reaction score
Maybe you guys should be taking your machines in for service at a different dealership which actually really cares about helping you out .
Just because martin gave such a good price when you bought is no reason to go there for service!

freeride69

Reaction score
well as for the clutching issue, the primary was changed to a newer style polaris clutch and the secondary was changed to a rapid reaction secondary, and the problem still occured, ive cleaned the rave valves neumerous times and that didnt help either, martin ran the codes and still nothing wrong so i have good reason to believe that when the motor was getting hot on longer pulls it may have infact been tightening up on the bearings or something in the bottom end enough to be causeing the motor to labour down, but really the problem sometimes is so intermitent that even i cant diagnose what is going on so right now im really frustrated.

freeride69

Reaction score
Maybe you guys should be taking your machines in for service at a different dealership which actually really cares about helping you out .
Just because martin gave such a good price when you bought is no reason to go there for service!

i do all my own service, ive been in the industry for years and am a journeyman motorcycle mechanic, martin is only for warranty which i cant do myself due to me voiding it, what a shame, i buy a new machine thinking yay finally something i DONT have to fix constantly an look what happens

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealers are (almost all )there to sell it new and get you good when you have a problem. And everyone has problems at some time or another.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even at only 300 hours, at 33km per hr, that's 10,000kms & we average more than 33kph. I hope we all use oil that is best recommended for the motor. If not there's other possible questions to the failure. I've run my own Rotax's beyond 5000 kms before upgrading (3 to 4 years), and have yet had one fail.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even at only 300 hours, at 33km per hr, that's 10,000kms & we average more than 33kph. I hope we all use oil that is best recommended for the motor. If not there's other possible questions to the failure. I've run my own Rotax's beyond 5000 kms before upgrading (3 to 4 years), and have yet had one fail.

you are lucky, I put on only 1200 mil over two riding seasons and the my mag side bearing went. had nothing to do with the type of oil i was using eather. the out side crank bearings (PTO & MAG) are sealed and lubed with grease from the factory. they can not be serviced or inspected easly.

12 days off warenty and Marten could not give me a answer as to if it could be covered or not by BRP. Loged a complaint with BRP but no answer as of yet. :mad:

Top Bottom