800R Etec JUNK. Ski-doo knows it and doesn't care.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great thread, thanks for the info!! Go buy a cat I guess:rolleyes:

harveyr1

Reaction score
I can honestly say I have not seen many ETEC engine failures go through our shop since they were introduced in 2011. They seem pretty bulletproof even in big bore trim. The regular 800 and 800r not so much. The non ETEC's definately have a time limit on them of 5000 km for the top end however the bottoms have improved through the process. I think you have definately had a lemon since day 1 by the sounds of it. Hopefully BRP will come to there senses. I would tell you to get your dealer to contact Rich Klein or Gordy Radke in service. Rich is a straight up guy and Gordy is probably the most respected BRP service guy in the company. Maybe they can help your dealer out. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

harveyr1

Reaction score
He quotes 2700miles and not kilometers, so that translate to approx. 4300km. He's alittle short but 5000km is average on them.
I don't see why the complaint, it is what it is......a 2stroke

You're thinking topend, not bottom end.

Even my Renegade 1000 got 3900 miles before it had a crankshaft bearing failure and those sleds were notorious for blowing up.

harveyr1

Reaction score
No, BRP extended the recall to 2012s and 2013s. I know what I'm talking about. I've been dealing with it for 3 weeks now.

To the OP. Your 2012 pistons do not have a recall. 2011 only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, if your product is junk you don't offer a very good warranty or pretty soon you're bankrupt. You will only offer a good warranty if you're confident in your products reliability. As snopro said you don't keep shareholders happy when you're fixing all your units for free. [/QUOTE

Like Mitsibushi automobiles. 10 year warranty! and they don't exercise it much. Then you have the big three..warranty repairs keep their shops full.
I think Lunds logic is flawed. lol The better the product the less risk giving extended warranty.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How this read to me...

OP: My sled had a freak failure and the manufacturer won't cover it because its outside of warranty. So TO THE INTERNETS to complain!

Sorry you're going through such a rough time. But a freak failure is just that "freak". I have over 4000 km turboed and not a single issue. When I pulled my motor apart and inspected my bearings they were in amazing shape, excellent color and no play whatsoever. Yes it sucks that you had a failure but materials aren't perfect. Sometimes to quote a bumper sticker "$#it happens".

The fact that you got over 4000 km trouble free is a testament to these new Doo motors. Look at the pros, piston kits at 1500 km (if you're lucky). and you're complaining about 4000?

So in short Go have a dart bud, she'll be alright. Its only money anyways :)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I wait for advice from Snopro. He has the inside skinny.

You take advice from that guy!?? jk.

Someone who starts a thread like a two year old.. "you're stupid" is just looking to push buttons. Of ALL the engins out of the two strokes... WHY would you pick the e-tec to call junk? lol... I have had people complain about quite a few things from brp but someone calling an E-tec junk....wow. Stupid advantced technology!!! You could try a liberty motor i hear those things are gems!

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
WARNING: To any potential purchasers of Ski-doo 800R Etec snowmobiles...Bombardier has NOT fixed their bad bearing issue in their high horsepower sleds. It started in early 2000s and continues to be a problem that they WILL NOT STAND BEHIND.

My story: I have a 2012 (that's right, a 2 year old snowmobile) Skidoo freeride 154, the second most expensive sled they built that year. I have 2,700 miles on the sled. I do not beat my machines and I maintain them well. I have had nothing but problems with this sled. It's spent more time in the dealership's garage than on the trail. I'll start off by saying this sled would be impossible to ride without the 2 year warranty. It has never run right. In the first season, they thought they fixed it by replacing one fuel injector and reflashing the computer. Still didn't run right. The second season saw them replacing the other fuel injector at first, then the exhaust temperature sensor. While they were doing that, they noticed that the computer was not working correctly, so they replaced that. AND...it still has some issues. NOW... Feb 1, 2014, exactly 2 months after the warranty expired, I get an engine failure due to Ski-doo's dreaded crankshaft bearings.

My dealer has been pretty good trying to get Ski-doo to cover the cost of PARTS since it's THEIR PARTS that failed, but they were unsuccessful.
SKI-DOO HAS ESSENTIALLY SAID THAT THEIR SLEDS SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED TO LAST 3 FULL SEASONS. UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY $2,000 TO HAVE A MECHANIC REBUILD YOUR ENGINE EVERY 2 YEARS, STAY AWAY FROM THESE SNOWMOBILES.

A former Ski-doo fan.

Go buy a puppy man.... Nobody reads this baby crap. especially when its somebody that JUST makes a user name for ONE thread... You needed a hug.... you came here.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go buy a puppy man.... Nobody reads this baby crap. especially when its somebody that JUST makes a user name for ONE thread... You needed a hug.... you came here.

He did it on doo talk too

sent while I should be drinking tea's

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He did it on doo talk too

sent while I should be drinking tea's
Yep and it's a rod bearing not a crank Brg ?I think if his dealer was a good dealer BRP would help him.

harveyr1

Reaction score
How this read to me...

OP: My sled had a freak failure and the manufacturer won't cover it because its outside of warranty. So TO THE INTERNETS to complain!

Sorry you're going through such a rough time. But a freak failure is just that "freak". I have over 4000 km turboed and not a single issue. When I pulled my motor apart and inspected my bearings they were in amazing shape, excellent color and no play whatsoever. Yes it sucks that you had a failure but materials aren't perfect. Sometimes to quote a bumper sticker "$#it happens".

The fact that you got over 4000 km trouble free is a testament to these new Doo motors. Look at the pros, piston kits at 1500 km (if you're lucky). and you're complaining about 4000?

So in short Go have a dart bud, she'll be alright. Its only money anyways :)

i understand and that materials can be bad, it shouldn't be my issue that skidoo provided me with a machine that contains faulty material.

Top Bottom