800 XP cranshaft runout

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has spec on crankshaft runout on 08 800R XP - thought the max was around .0001" .

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spec in 08 was 0.002 thou, and was revised to 0.004 thou. This is because the etecs are slightly stronger if i am not mistaken.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was doing a liitle pre-season maintenance today - pulled clutch off to inspect - check crank runout - not good - .010" - 3600miles on engine - was running strong at end of season - but dont think will last long with that much runout!:(

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It did seem like it - thought something was wrong with my dial gauge at first - but looking at the crank and turning it I could actually see a wobble!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may have caught it at the optimum time as opposed to a tow job or heli ride.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I kinda thought - a little now, compared to alot of the back side of some mountain!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rev i just did my crank... sometimes these things are worse than they seem. Right now your 0.010 out, but the case's can hold the crank true to some effect and ones you pop the cases apart it gets worse. As well the inner bearings can get alot of chatter in them. mine was bad on the mag side. The loctite they used to hold the balancefatigued and the balancer was loose throwing it 6thou out after i split the case. origional reading was 3thou

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Engine back together - decided to put new pistons in - went with MCB dual ring - headed out west tomorrow!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who bought a used XP and after he brought it home, we decided to check the runout.

9 thou. The BRP limit was 3 thou.

I told him I would not run it until he had it checked out. We brought it to MOTS. He said it needed to be torn into.

2 grande later, after teardown attempt to true, weld crank, he ordered a new one, rebuilt and installed. top end and all. I thought it was a great deal.

Tom said the crank bearings were done DONE!! Sled runs perfect 2 years later.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well not into it for 2 grand - did all tear down and rebuild myslef - ordered new crank from CV tech and replaced pistons at same time - around $1000 for parts - recheck crank runout after rebuild - .0015 " should be good to go for next couple years !

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably if I had all parts - to take in and out and rebuild and reinstall would be around 8 hours so 2g's was reasonable for not doing it yourself:)

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took out sled today - running premix - engine kinda running sluggish - no premix 2morow!

jonnyt

Reaction score
hey revbyu I'm a newbie here and I know this thread is old along with these crank issues. would love to get some more info on this cv tech outfit as my 800r is down due to crank seal failure (thought I was keeping track of it,wrong!!) 3000 thousand miles pto side went quickly down to 85 lbs so pistons for sure probly going mcb and new cranks coming out of spec not really what I'm in the mood for. some contact info on the cv tech greatly appreciated thanx

calebramer

Reaction score
Hey Jonnyt i am in a similar situation as you, my 08 renegade 800r locked up the mag side bearings due to blown mag seal. 2400 miles. I am a dealer for cv tech and they are all out of 800 crankshafts (almost everything, actually) which makes it frustrating when you need parts....busy winter i guess. That and the fact that there's a lot of 800r's blowing up.

jonnyt

Reaction score
Ok thanx going to call and discuss what type pistons they use in their long block price is reasonable and talk about the crank trueing process no hurry can ride old faithful 500ss but snow is melting:mad:

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom