800 polaris pro ride engine problems?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No brand bashing. Just curios why someone would think you have to wrestle an XM. Love all the sleds out there and they all do certain things better than the other brands.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the thread lol.... 800 motors have had issues for years but also it has more to do with the rider than the motor.... My 09 Dragon had a hot spot at 5200 to 5800 rpm right from day one.... I figured that out the first day.... Stayed out of this spot and throttled the sled like a dirt bike and I got 2600 miles on the engine and the only reason I dropped a piston was on a epic pow day in hazier after 3 hrs of steady pow riding it started to blurp , looking inside air box and was full of water then realized the cheap foam Polaris used was rotten and let moisture into air box.

From day one I also always did not hit the throttle tell temp was over 100, I've seen so many poo owners fire up sled and pin it, then say wtf !!!! Piece of **** blew another piston !!!

Anyways just my thoughts on the 800 motor issues.... Has a lot to do with its owners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back to the thread lol.... 800 motors have had issues for years but also it has more to do with the rider than the motor.... My 09 Dragon had a hot spot at 5200 to 5800 rpm right from day one.... I figured that out the first day.... Stayed out of this spot and throttled the sled like a dirt bike and I got 2600 miles on the engine and the only reason I dropped a piston was on a epic pow day in hazier after 3 hrs of steady pow riding it started to blurp , looking inside air box and was full of water then realized the cheap foam Polaris used was rotten and let moisture into air box. From day one I also always did not hit the throttle tell temp was over 100, I've seen so many poo owners fire up sled and pin it, then say wtf !!!! Piece of **** blew another piston !!! Anyways just my thoughts on the 800 motor issues.... Has a lot to do with its ownersSent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
But this is 2013 and the manufacturers have all the technology at their fingertips to prevent such failures such as a cold seize or piston rocking. Customers keep buying them and praising them so why would Polaris change it? They've had a run of crap motors for 6 years now, you'd think by this time they would've come up with a motor that can at least match the others on horsepower and/or reliability. I'm not brand bashing here, it's a fact. I guess the money you guys spend on your Polaris isn't going into any engine R&D. Hopefully they get straightened out, competition is good for everyone.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Epa, epa, epa. 800 was a quick fix cause the 900 was a pos and was dropped. The 700 they lucked out and the 800 screwed them again. Since the crap 08 motor they have been trying to band aid after band aid the motor to where it is today. 2013+ 800 is decent, still more issues than the other manufactures but still far better than the 08-10 dragon.

The should have a new di or orbital or whatever motor soon they probably have been working on for a few years but im sure they know it has to be a home run....

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Epa, epa, epa. 800 was a quick fix cause the 900 was a pos and was dropped. The 700 they lucked out and the 800 screwed them again. Since the crap 08 motor they have been trying to band aid after band aid the motor to where it is today. 2013+ 800 is decent, still more issues than the other manufactures but still far better than the 08-10 dragon.

The should have a new di or orbital or whatever motor soon they probably have been working on for a few years but im sure they know it has to be a home run....

Good points there.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta wonder if the reason behind the CFI 800 issues comes down to corporate greed? Why fix it, make it better, more powerful if your selling them like crazy, and the repairs keep the cash flowing? The company that builds Victory and now the new Indian brand motorcycles can obviously build very high quality machines.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see Polaris bought back majority shares of Fuji industries in the last couple days. Makes ya wonder if they are gonna shift back to Fuji built engines

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did hear that skidoo has a recall on some 2012 etech pistons just like the 2011s. How come no one ever mentions that? Always poo bashing! Just ride whether its a poo, doo, cat or yam. :jerry:
Any reading material from BRP on that? I sure haven't seen any?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see Polaris bought back majority shares of Fuji industries in the last couple days. Makes ya wonder if they are gonna shift back to Fuji built engines
nope. it means that polaris is going to use even fewer fhi engines in the future. if the snow division would stop infomercial shopping for pistons on the Punjabi channel I think the reliability would increase also.

matm8snopro

Reaction score
Any reading material from BRP on that? I sure haven't seen any?
A friends of mines 2011 was done and a friend of mines got a 2012 and he mentioned that his sled may be a candidate depending on the serial number range of the sleds. He just found out from his dealer a week ago, I'll get the info from him and post. Not bashing the etech, its a great motor. I have heard that very few etechs have actually failed as brp is on top of it and gets them corrected before anything bad happens. Polaris on the other hand, ruined there engine rep with the dragons and kinda left their customer to foot the bill... I agree with the other post that the 2013+ engines are much better, hoping to see a DI engine from them soon. Everyone seems to jump all over poo for the engines, but in reality, all 2 stroke are a ticking time bomb, some just quicker then others. proper maintenance and warm up is also a key factor... imo

Kyper

Reaction score
Me? I have a 2012 800 Pro RMK. As of yesterday I have 2050 miles on it. I am on my third engine! This one seems good! I am crossing my fingers. Friend of mine has a 2013 800 Pro RMK, he blew an engine last year and Polaris put a crate engine in it, plus my friend (as suggested by the dealer) put the "fix kit" in. Two days ago he took it for a ride and the engine **** the bed again!!!! Now, I cannot understand how a company can sell you a product for around the $12,000 to $15,000 and when it turns out there is all kinds of engine failures, they are not being held accountable! That is like buying a new pickup for $45,000 and the engine blows after 10,000 miles and the maker says "oh, sorry"... This 2012 of mine is the 7th new Polaris I have purchased in the last 10 years or so. So I am a Polaris guy,,,, I test drove the new summits and I can't stand to ride them. At the end of the day, when my 3rd engine fails, I will sell it by the pound and just quit sledding!!!

the450kid

Reaction score
Something I have noticed on a lot of these sleds are the throttle body boots delaminate while in storage. I Would have a good look at the boots on these sleds cause three motors seems real odd. Also one thing we found on the dragons were the oil line check valves for each cylinder were an issue. One check valve would hold back I believe 5psi before opening and the other would stay stuck wide open there fore not allowing any oil pressure to build and open both that the same time robing one cylinder of oil completely..Just my two bits from experience that I would start looking at after engine #2.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 motors by 2000 mi sounds pretty odd to me. Sounds like you got a lemon. There are a lot of people running these sleds without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This isn't a new problem. Had a 2009 Assault that went through 3 motors in 1200 miles. Your absolutely right about Polaris not doing much about it, leaving that job to MTNTK to fix it. When I talked to multiple Polaris reps no one could give a guy a straight answer. I was pissed to say the least. Dealer felt pretty bad, sold me my 13 at pretty much cost. My 13 has 600 kms and runs strong. Will I be putting in a MTNTK fix kit, you bet. Is it fair, no. Question for you guys though....people will spend tons of money on wraps, boards, tracks, and shocks and then bitch when they have to throw another 600 bucks at a fix kit when these 800 motors (since 09) have been grenading. Anyone running sleds knows about these issues. There are tons of topics on this on this forum. Still can't believe people aren't aware of this. Just my two cents.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope. it means that polaris is going to use even fewer fhi engines in the future. if the snow division would stop infomercial shopping for pistons on the Punjabi channel I think the reliability would increase also.

I think someone just got off the phone with an over seas IT company/telemarketer :rolleyes:

Kyper

Reaction score
Here is a question. I snow checked my 12 RMK, 800, I ran a 600 IQ prior to that. I really started mountain riding after the purchase of my 800. My mountain riding buddies, Yamaha 4 strokers told me how to engage the clutch and use the engine as a brake when coming back down from steep climbs. Now here comes the quiz!!!! When I start decending and I engage the clutch/belt I have seen the engine rev up to 6500 rpm. As the oil pump rate of flow is controlled by throttle linkage/cable. Where is this engine getting its oil from? I asked all buddies and they have no idea!!!! Then I talked to my Polaris dealers head mechanic and he had no answer!! I was told that the Etec (Summit) actually has an engine brake that provides extra oil to the engine when it is being used as a brake. Can anyone tell me what the scoop is on this? Thinking back, each time I blew an engine it was within 2 to 10 miles after coming back from the mountains!!

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im thinking there is enough residual oil in the crankcase to get you down the mountain without doing any damage.

Top Bottom