800 polaris pro ride engine problems?

s/b tech

Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that polaris is still having engine failures in the pro ride chassis. This sounds like the same problems that plagued the iq chassis. The fix kit is now available up to and including the 2014 model year. This would suggest that polaris has not corrected the rocking problem with the piston in the cylinder. Does anyone have any comments on this issue? :(

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 2012 with 1700km and 110psi in both cylinders, still on warrenty but nobody will do anything till it blows, pretty stoked to hear that. one Service guy (parkland sled, red deer) tries telling me thats normal compression and thats what its supposed to be at (what a F@ckin idiot). Other service guy (cycle works) tells me to run the piss outta it and wait for it to blow and they will drop a new engine in it.
Not ideal when i have to call a helicopter to lift this POS outta the back 40.
Love the chassis but when guys are getting 5000mi on a engine and one belt (XM) and I got a engine ready to pop with 1100mi, think there gonna be losing another customer untill they get er sorted out.
My rant for the day.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 3300 km on my 2011 until it dropped the skirt and piled up the crank. Being a long time Polaris owner, I bucked up for the extended warranty, which in my case covered a new crate motor. I believe the work order came in at $7800.00.
I was told I should have done pistons at 2000 - 2500 km to have saved my misfortune.
That being said, my compression on this motor with 250 km is @ 118 psi. We have a spare sled in our trailer ( 2011 Pro ) with the original engine on nitrous with 3100km and the compression on it is the same as my new engine..... so go figure !
Going to order Rk Tek pistons & install for peace of mind.

Last edited:

s/b tech

Reaction score
I've heard that the fix kit is also doing very well in these motors.:) I've also seen in other posts that Polaris has finally come out with an updated piston in their 800's since 2013. Has this made the motors any more reliable?

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love the chassis but when guys are getting 5000mi on a engine and one belt (XM)
everybody should sell there polaris and move as fast as they can to skidoo dealers and purchase xms right now hurry

All im saying is the days of getting 2500 km before a rebuild are over. If every manufacturers engines were blowing around the 2000 km mark it would be a different story. But its not the case, the technology for a extremely reliable 2 stroke is on the market and Polaris has fell behind. Like I said, I love there chassis but I am not impressed with what they are putting under the hood. especially when They know its an issue and rather then drop a new $500 top end in it for me there gonna wait till its a complete engine. Thats whats pissing me off, especially when I know how much a pain it is to drag dead sleds outta the backcountry, done er enough times to know to avoid it.
Not telling people to run out and get an XM, this was just a reference.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All im saying is the days of getting 2500 km before a rebuild are over. If every manufacturers engines were blowing around the 2000 km mark it would be a different story. But its not the case, the technology for a extremely reliable 2 stroke is on the market and Polaris has fell behind. Like I said, I love there chassis but I am not impressed with what they are putting under the hood.

One could look at your argument from another angle, as a couple of us in the group did.

We could say that the technology for a near perfect chassis exists, but skidoo chose not to go that route, and instead chose to continue to offer a more reliable engine, over a more maneuverable chassis.

Besides, contrary to what the interwebs say, buying a polaris does not mean you'll be walking home after every trip.

I also wouldn't be that worried about your compression. BUT, if if it does, the cost of doing the top end before it needs it would still be cheaper then trading down to an XM, and to me, the energy saved at the end of the day not having to wrestle your machine like the doo guys would be worth it's weight in gold.

Some results may vary.

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the fix kit is also doing very well in these motors.:) I've also seen in other posts that Polaris has finally come out with an updated piston in their 800's since 2013. Has this made the motors any more reliable?
the 14 does not have a different piston. the part # is a kit and all that has changed are the rings. same piston.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I just installed the mntntk piston upgrade kit in my 13 pro that has 900 miles on it and my stock pistons looked mint except the bottom of the skirts were shiny with a slight bit of scuffing. I am very impressed with the upgrade kit and I am told that they will last 2500 miles under boost so I should be good for a couple of years I hope.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much less reliable the Polaris motor is than the others? They sell a ton of these sleds, and most people that have them seem to be happy with them. I just did the top end on mine and the pistons and cylinders looked fine, probably didn't need to do it. If I need to do a top end every 2500 Km for peace of mind at least the sled is easy to work on!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just installed the mntntk piston upgrade kit in my 13 pro that has 900 miles on it and my stock pistons looked mint except the bottom of the skirts were shiny with a slight bit of scuffing. I am very impressed with the upgrade kit and I am told that they will last 2500 miles under boost so I should be good for a couple of years I hope.

im assuming stock oil pump settings?

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know were all entitelled to our opinions but have you ever spent a day on an XM? There is no wrestling involved with these sleds. I have two of them and also a Pro RMK. The XM's are far less tiring to ride than the Pro. Hold a sidehill effortlessly where a Pro will wash out on you. I have spent a ton of time on both machines and even though the Pro is Lighter it takes way more effort to do the same things as the XM does. Now if your referring to an XP and assuming the XM is the same ball of wax you then you should maybe spend some time on an XM. I hated the XP because it just wanted to stay flat. The XM responds to just a wiggle of an ass cheek so not sure what you mean by wrestling one around.
One could look at your argument from another angle, as a couple of us in the group did.

We could say that the technology for a near perfect chassis exists, but skidoo chose not to go that route, and instead chose to continue to offer a more reliable engine, over a more maneuverable chassis.

Besides, contrary to what the interwebs say, buying a polaris does not mean you'll be walking home after every trip.

I also wouldn't be that worried about your compression. BUT, if if it does, the cost of doing the top end before it needs it would still be cheaper then trading down to an XM, and to me, the energy saved at the end of the day not having to wrestle your machine like the doo guys would be worth it's weight in gold.

Some results may vary.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent some time on a xm 154 last season and I really liked it. I think they are easy to ride and have a very nice consistent power from bottom to top. I know that doesn't really matter nowadays because it really is all about fit & finish! j/k.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'nuther reason why I kept my 2010 Dragoon with the KTK Fix kit installed. Got another 2 years before it pops. Maybe by then Popo will have it figured out by then. Most of the engine issues are about crappy pistons. Why keep using the same crappy pistons?
And I am gonna say it... Put ETEC engine in Pro frame. Sled of the year! Yammy and AC had some balls to try something different.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know were all entitelled to our opinions but have you ever spent a day on an XM? There is no wrestling involved with these sleds. I have two of them and also a Pro RMK. The XM's are far less tiring to ride than the Pro. Hold a sidehill effortlessly where a Pro will wash out on you. I have spent a ton of time on both machines and even though the Pro is Lighter it takes way more effort to do the same things as the XM does. Now if your referring to an XP and assuming the XM is the same ball of wax you then you should maybe spend some time on an XM. I hated the XP because it just wanted to stay flat. The XM responds to just a wiggle of an ass cheek so not sure what you mean by wrestling one around.

I am guilty of not riding an XM enough to have as strong of an opinion as I do. Hell, I haven't actually put that many miles on a pro either for that matter.
I have rode with an XM few times in the group, and have rode alongside a few randoms. Those experience's in themselves though are enough to make my mind up about them.

Although the the pro is lighter, that isn't really what I was baseing my wrestling comment on. Without making this take too long, I'll try and keep it short...

I have never had a machine that wouldn't hold a line while sidehilling. I would go farther, and say most don't take much effort, as long as you have the proper technique. What separates the machines in my eyes is what you choose to do while going sideways, and how much input is required to not only complete the action, but to recover any unknowns, and get back on track.

When talking about bone stock machines, the pro, is considered by most, an easier machine to ride in technical terrain.

If you find the pro washing out, your standing to far back. Hope forwards just a bit, and it'll clean right up. On the doo chassis, foot placement helps a little bit, but won't make near the difference as on the pro. A pro is also much easiar to correct, wereas the the doo chassis is nearly impossible.

But like I said... your results may very....:)

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now if your referring to an XP and assuming the XM is the same ball of wax you then you should maybe spend some time on an XM. I hated the XP because it just wanted to stay flat. The XM responds to just a wiggle of an ass cheek so not sure what you mean by wrestling one around.

Oh ya, forgot this...

I do have considerable time on an XP, and know exactly what you mean.... sorta.

The same reason that an XP wants to 'correct itself' or, stay flat, is the same reason an XM will, which is also the reason a pro won't, and doesn't.
The XM and XP spindle/ski geometry will prevent you from countersteering while sidehilling. And countersteering is what it's all about.
If you don't believe this, then in you shop, on a cement floor, put your pro, and your doos into the same postion you would if you were sidehilling...

I should have paid more attention to the ass wiggle comment. I'm betting we don't have much in common while riding.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF you talking about? I can counter steer a XP or XM on 45degree sidehills ALL DAY LONG....LMAO

Top Bottom