800 CFI Piston Check

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need some opinions on how my sleds pistons look, as I’m not an expert. It’s been about 750 km (450 mi) since my 09 800 RMK had the piston update, and I decided to check how things were going. Most of the mileage was put on in the mountains. I always wait until the heat exchangers are warm to the touch before I start riding. I’ve never seen any temperature spikes or engine lights. I’m running a SLP pipe, intake and clutching.

MAG
MAG1.jpg

MAG2.jpg

PTO
PTO1.jpg

PTO2.jpg

PTO3.jpg

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been running good in the mountains, but something seemed a bit off when I was riding around home last weekend. I haven’t been riding around home a much, so it may be that my at home clutching needs adjustment. Just a bit paranoid i guess.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been running good in the mountains, but something seemed a bit off when I was riding around home last weekend. I haven’t been riding around home a much, so it may be that my at home clutching needs adjustment. Just a bit paranoid i guess.

did you change the weights before you rode around town ? cuz if not That is the problem. You are out of the fuel mapping range and could det on you.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I run different clutch weights around home.

What worries me is that there are already some vertical scratches in the pistons, but maybe this is normal?

Last edited:

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quite abit of blowbuy,650 miles on mine didn't show that when i had my exhaust valves out for cleaning.going to have cycleworks tear mine down at end of season for inspection.
warrenty is up in october so if anything wrong will take care of it then.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should show the pictures to the guys at CW and see what they say. Thanks for the comments.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I showed the picture to a tech a CW. They told me to bring it in and they’ll strip it down.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks pretty good for the most part. you probably need to get the newest reflash to fix the running issues around the lower elevations.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your temp. should be 100f minimum before riding. Also heard that there's issues with the Polaris 800's and V-force reeds.I would be concerned about the piston condition.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your temp. should be 100f minimum before riding. Also heard that there's issues with the Polaris 800's and V-force reeds.I would be concerned about the piston condition.

Like I stated before, I don’t move until my heat exchangers are worm. That doesn’t happen until the gauge is reading 40C or more. I don’t have V-force reeds so that’s not an issue. I just have the high flow air horn and dash vents. CW will be taking it apart tomorrow. Hopefully they figure out the cause.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had our first 800 with the update come back to us the other day. his compression was 80 low on one side. tore the engine down and found the cylinder wall was cracked. he was running a air horn. not sure if it had anything to do with it. other cylinder looked like it was brand new.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update. The dealer said the pistons weren’t too bad. A couple scratches but nothing to be too worried about. They stripped it down and put new pistons in it anyway.:confused: Should have my sled back soon. Thanks to those that posted for the input.:beer:

hilinerider

Reaction score
we had our first 800 with the update come back to us the other day. his compression was 80 low on one side. tore the engine down and found the cylinder wall was cracked. he was running a air horn. not sure if it had anything to do with it. other cylinder looked like it was brand new.

mine looked beautiful, checked after this thread came out, then last weekend it broke a skirt on one piston and grenaded, warrantied by kurts (thanks for that and great service)
will let you know how the new motor does

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from McBride,rode 2days for a total of 160 miles dragon ran great didnt miss a beat. 8250 all day long :d

hilinerider

Reaction score
mine looked beautiful, checked after this thread came out, then last weekend it broke a skirt on one piston and grenaded, warrantied by kurts (thanks for that and great service)
will let you know how the new motor does

another 08 d8 update went down, i took in both sleds and both grenaded 43 miles apart,

anybody else havin similars issues?? bad pistons???

Top Bottom