09 polaris dragon bad oil pump??

alpinestar636

Reaction score
Put a top end on a friends 09 dragon 800. New cylinder with pistons/rings. I put a little oil in the fuel tank to help break in, around 80:1. Also sucked out the oil tank to put in some mineral oil for break in.

For the first 20 km, it was running pretty good, minus the idle was a bit erratic. Then it fouled a set of plugs, which I attributed to the extra oil in the tank, so we threw in some new plugs and the owner went on a 40 km trail ride. Scratchers down, had him monitor the temps and never went over 60c. When he got back he said it was running great.

The day after that, we went to go for a ride. He started up the dragon and almost immediately it started to run like crap. Rode it over to my shop a block down the road, pulled the plugs and they were very dry and whitish. I bled the oil pump, added more oil to the tank just in case, fired it up and it was still running rough. Plugs looked a little wetter with the extra oil in the tank, but still not sure the pump is working.
Next I took power valves and intake reeds off, took y pipe off to check pistons (still look good) and took plugs out. I took one oil line off, the pto bearing oil line, and pulled the sled over 20 times. No oil came out of the line, not a drop. Pulled it over 20 more times at wot. Still not a drop out of the oil line.

Thoughts? Bad oil pump?

800dragonguy

Reaction score
I have a 2010 800 Dragon RMK, if it's similar to the 09 I would check the oil filter (you have to pull the air box to get at it). The 2010 oil pump works in conjunction with the throttle, more throttle more oil therefore I don't know if it would pump oil unless you opened the throttle.

I overhauled my top end a couple of months ago, I turned the oil pump up 2 turns and add 60 ml of oil to every tank, I only have about 150 miles on the overhaul but haven't fouled any plugs yet. Did you try swapping the plug wires to opposite cylinders? not sure if it matters but....

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom