7 million plug-ins on the road by 2025

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are plastic bags such a big issue in the 3rd world?
What is the problem?
i just have never seen it and am curious. Thanks

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the problem?

When I worked in SA people just hauled their trash to the edge of town and dumped it, every tree downwind looked like it was growing 12 bags

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I worked in SA people just hauled their trash to the edge of town and dumped it, every tree downwind looked like it was growing 12 bags

Well that isn't the bags fault now is it?
country full of slobs is the problem.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, tourists don't see it when going to place like Peru, Thailand etc etc. But in non-touristy areas that plastic bags, water bottles etc etc are piled up like crazy! I was in India a while back and people literally build their shacks on top of unofficial dumps sites. Here is a picture in Peru that will give you an small taste of the litter. Unfortunately, I have seen way worse but don't take too many pics of garbage LOL

Mexico1 019.jpg

What is the problem?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, tourists don't see it when going to place like Peru, Thailand etc etc. But in non-touristy areas that plastic bags, water bottles etc etc are piled up like crazy! I was in India a while back and people literally build their shacks on top of unofficial dumps sites. Here is a picture in Peru that will give you an small taste of the litter. Unfortunately, I have seen way worse but don't take too many pics of garbage LOL

View attachment 205617

these people need to take a bit of responsibility imho

pick up after yourself, get a burning barrel ext.

or what? I'm I supposed to come clean up their mess?

i don't really think plastic is the issue there.

thank you for your response.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

or what? I'm I supposed to come clean up there mess?

They have no education in the matter. Most resemble reservation s

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck with telling them that! They have zero pride in their environment and it shows. Their homes are relatively clean for what they have but outside their yard is another story. Its sad to be honest.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck with telling them that! They have zero pride in their environment and it shows. Their homes are relatively clean for what they have but outside their yard is another story. Its sad to be honest.

I believe you. Just don't see why I should have to pack around a bunch of bags
just because some dirty fackers can't clean up there own mess.

my yard is clean.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THIS ARTICLE IS DISTURBING.....

Science, Tech & Environment[h=1]5 countries dump more plastic into the oceans than the rest of the world combined[/h]GlobalPost
January 13, 2016 · 9:45 AM EST
By Patrick Winn

Comment

[h=2]plastic_ocean_pollution.jpg[/h]
plastic_ocean_pollution.jpg
A scavenger collects plastic for recycling in a river covered with rubbish in Jakarta, Indonesia, April 20, 2009.

Credit: Beawiharta/Reuters

The planet’s seas are choking on our junk: Soda bottles, plastic bags and tons of cigarette butts. Distant spots in the ocean — called garbage gyres — have become vortexes where humanity’s trash bobs atop the water for miles on end.

[h=3]Player utilities[/h]

00:00
00:00
05:13

download

Listen to the Story.
PRI.org

<iframe frameborder="0" src="https://www.pri.org/node/86908/embedded" height="75" width="100%"></iframe>

Worse yet, the filth floating on the surface accounts for only 5 percent of all the plastic trash dumped into the sea. According to Ocean Conservancy, a US environmental nonprofit, the other 95 percent is submerged beneath, where it strangles underwater creatures and wrecks the aquatic ecosystem.
It turns out that five countries are the leading contributors to this crisis. And all are in Asia.
In a recent report, Ocean Conservancy claims that China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam are spewing out as much as 60 percent of the plastic waste that enters the world’s seas.
More from GlobalPost: Vultures with GoPros are helping clean up Peru (VIDEO)
“At this rate, we would expect nearly one ton of plastic for every three tons of fish in our oceans by 2025 — an unthinkable number with drastic economic and environmental consequences,” says Nicholas Mallos, director of Ocean Conservancy’s marine debris program.
Westerners, namely Americans, are seen as the world’s most incorrigible consumers of stuff: Soda, gadgets, sneakers and other items that produce plenty of trash. So how did a few Asian countries, many of them comparatively poor, end up churning out much of the plastic waste that swirls through the seas?
[h=4]Asia is adopting Western-style appetites for consumer junk[/h]As Asian economies rise, people have more cash to blow on Marlboros and Sprites at 7-Eleven. But the junk these habits produce often doesn’t end up in legit landfills.
In the five Asian countries listed above, only about 40 percent of garbage is properly collected. Across Asia, trash is often piled up in communal dumps where stray bits are swept up by the wind and cast into the ocean.
indonesia_plastic_trash_ocean%20%281%29.jpg
Indonesian fishermen on a polluted beach in Cilincing, North Jakarta, June 5, 2013.

Credit: Beawiharta/Reuters

Even sanctioned garbage dump sites are sometimes intentionally set up near rivers that flow into the sea. The reason, according to Ocean Conservancy: “Waste will intermittently be carried away by heavy rains or current, refreshing the capacity of the dump to receive more waste.”

[h=3]Trash scavengers can’t keep up[/h]Asia’s garbage pickers are the unsung heroes of conservation. They brave filth and disease to root through trash and extract plastic that can be sold to recyclers for a little cash. This ensures that lots of junk is recycled rather than abandoned in landfills.
But these pickers tend to focus on high-value items — like plastic bottles — in lieu of plastic bags, which fetch very little from recyclers.
philippines_plastic_trash_ocean.jpg
Workers load collected plastic bottles onto a truck in Manila in the Philippines, March 10, 2015.

Credit: Romeo Ronoco/Reuters

According to Ocean Conservancy, a scavenger might spend 10 hours gathering plastic bags and take home a mere 50 cents. Devoting that day to picking up only plastic bottles, however, would rack up $3.70.

That means that scavengers skip over much of the waste, which can later end up in the sea.
[h=3]Corporations crank out tiny portion sizes for the poor[/h]A shopper in California or Texas buys shampoo by the bottle. But that’s often an unaffordable luxury to poor Indonesian or Filipino villagers, who instead buy cosmetics in mini plastic pouches.
china_plastic_trash_pollution.jpg
A woman washes plastic in a river in Tianjin, China, Sept. 13, 2007.

Credit: Vincent Du/Reuters

In Asia’s rural hamlets, corporations sell everything from beauty products to instant noodles in tiny, cheap quantities. This helps even the most destitute laborers afford their wares. The result? Companies are churning out a lot more plastic packaging in poor Asian nations — and much of it winds up in the ocean.
Though corporations aren’t “making plastic with the intent of it ending up in the ocean,” Mallos says, they should be offering up their “world-class logistics, financing, project management and marketing capabilities” to help solve the problem.
[h=4]Asia’s garbagemen often cut corners[/h]In countries where the law is flimsy, garbage truck drivers will often save time and fuel by simply dumping trash by the roadside. These illegal dump sites are having devastating consequences for the seas.
In the Philippines, an island nation where sanitation trucks often flout the law, research suggests that up to 90 percent of the plastic dumped illegally ends up in the ocean. In the five Asian nations profiled by Ocean Conservancy, estimates suggest this practice adds nearly 1 million metric tons of plastic trash to the seas each year.
philippines_plastic_trash.jpg
A boy collects plastic near a polluted coastline to sell in Manila, April 9, 2008.

Credit: Cheryl Ravelo/Reuters

As it stands, humans leak a staggering 8 million metric tons of plastic into the ocean each year, according to research published in Science Magazine. If our behavior doesn’t change, Ocean Conservancy says, we’ll double that rate in just 10 years.

All that garbage is having devastating effects on the seas: choking marine life to death, dramatically warping ecosystems and wreaking environmental havoc that some experts liken to the climate change crisis.
More from GlobalPost: A quick and easy guide to the Paris climate deal

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why they are called "third world countries" because they don't think the way the west does (right or wrong). But, we don't have to go very far either. Last summer we went for a sxs ride up Mt Ida in Salmon Arm. Un fn believable the junk thrown up there in approx 8 different locations. From mattresses, old ovens even some a-hole changed his oil and dumped it right on the ground and left filters etc there. I HATE polluters! :nono:

I believe you. Just don't see why I should have to pack around a bunch of bags
just because some dirty fackers can't clean up there own mess.

my yard is clean.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why they are called "third world countries" because they don't think the way the west does (right or wrong). But, we don't have to go very far either. Last summer we went for a sxs ride up Mt Ida in Salmon Arm. Un fn believable the junk thrown up there in approx 8 different locations. From mattresses, old ovens even some a-hole changed his oil and dumped it right on the ground and left filters etc there. I HATE polluters! :nono:

yep me too. there is slobs in Canada too, not to that magnitude though. If China wants to be like the "west", they are doing it wrong, way wrong.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Responsibility? Everyone needs to take responsibility.

Ive seen some similar looking yards in canada that look like this, geeze even after a long weekend in Alberta it is not hard to find a random campsite left looking kinda similar.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Responsibility? Everyone needs to take responsibility.

Ive seen some similar looking yards in canada that look like this, geeze even after a long weekend in Alberta it is not hard to find a random campsite left looking kinda similar.

Yes everyone does. The problem is the billions that aren't...lol

Ban camping then if that's what you want? I take responsibility for myself. And I don't dump garbage in the ocean.
And I keep my space here in Canada clean. So I am already doing my part.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ban camping then if that's what you want? I take responsibility for myself. And I don't dump garbage in the ocean.
And I keep my space here in Canada clean.

I think we mostly do. But one must consider the brod spectrum of buying things from the third world countries that produce this garbage. Plastic factories in China dumbing waste in the ocean or garment factories in India or Mexico flushing dyes down the drain. I look after my space as well but it's hard to be perfect

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we mostly do. But one must consider the brod spectrum of buying things from the third world countries that produce this garbage. Plastic factories in China dumbing waste in the ocean or garment factories in India or Mexico flushing dyes down the drain. I look after my space as well but it's hard to be perfect

No one is perfect forsure. But again it is not me importing this chit from China. Stop importing, bring manufacturing and jobs back here where
we have more control of that.

If these people are so ignorant that they dump poison in there water, not much I can do about it. I work for a living, Im not Bill Gates.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one is perfect forsure. But again it is not me importing this chit from China. Stop importing, bring manufacturing and jobs back here where
we have more control of that.

If these people are so ignorant that they dump poison in there water, not much I can do about it. I work for a living, Im not Bill Gates.

Ahh but there is the catch, these products would be to expensive to produce here because of our standards you would need to Bill Gates to pay for the products

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahh but there is the catch, these products would be to expensive to produce here because of our standards you would need to Bill Gates to pay for the products

Hire some of these new refugees? If that doesn't work then what? Keep dumping chit in the ocean?

what do you need to live with that comes from China anyways? Fidget spinners?

why not ban a lot of things? Why single out plastic bags. How bout red solo cups of plastic forks? Ext ext ext

Top Bottom