670 or 800 triple

nightmagic

Reaction score
hello i am new to sledding and am thinking of picking up a used sled I have found two diffent ones in good shape but one is a 1999 670 summit and the other is 1999 mach z 800 triple. I am just wondering what other's peoples thoughts about the two engines. I will not be heading to the mountains plan on just ditch banging but hope to keep up to a few friends

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello i am new to sledding and am thinking of picking up a used sled I have found two diffent ones in good shape but one is a 1999 670 summit and the other is 1999 mach z 800 triple. I am just wondering what other's peoples thoughts about the two engines. I will not be heading to the mountains plan on just ditch banging but hope to keep up to a few friends

Well both haul azz, but it's up to you whether or not you want the little bit extra power from the 800

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 670 awesome unit runs flawlessly every time out. the summit will have a little bigger track which is really nice even if you never go to the mountains.
however the 800 rotary is another very strong engine that will eat a similarily tuned 670 every day. the mxz has a shorter track but better trail set up suspension. if you could do it i would get the mxz and ride a season with it and if you really like the unit stretch it out to a longer track.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CK3 (MachZ) has a nicer ride than the S chassis summit. If you aren't going to the mountains get the MachZ.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
The CK3 (MachZ) has a nicer ride than the S chassis summit. If you aren't going to the mountains get the MachZ.

And with the chassis design of the ck3 u can do some real nice custom pipes and keep your center of gravity way down. great drag race chassis. Also that 809 was a real power house with the proper porting and compression for future modding if your into that.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 670 awesome unit runs flawlessly every time out. the summit will have a little bigger track which is really nice even if you never go to the mountains.
however the 800 rotary is another very strong engine that will eat a similarily tuned 670 every day. the mxz has a shorter track but better trail set up suspension. if you could do it i would get the mxz and ride a season with it and if you really like the unit stretch it out to a longer track.

Just clarifying - The 800 is not a rotary motor like the 670, its a case reed motor. The 809 will be the better ditch banger just due to the chassis IMO, and as stated, can be turned into a pretty good runner down the road if you want to do a little motor work.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just clarifying - The 800 is not a rotary motor like the 670, its a case reed motor. The 809 will be the better ditch banger just due to the chassis IMO, and as stated, can be turned into a pretty good runner down the road if you want to do a little motor work.

sorry i thought the 800 was a rotary but if i think of it that is probably the stupidestthing i ever said or eally close to it. how the hell do you get a rotary triple with triple carbs.
give your feakin head a shake magnet:realmad:
thanks modman. i will go and beat myself with a used belt now:eek:.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry i thought the 800 was a rotary but if i think of it that is probably the stupidestthing i ever said or eally close to it. how the hell do you get a rotary triple with triple carbs.

DUAL rotary;):d

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the weight difference? Isnt that something one might want to think about

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca

Here is a rotary triple with carbs, Complete custom case and not cheap but still a triple with TWIN rotary. 250 natural. This sled is a scary as ch!t ditch banger. Also in a CK3 chassis.
056 (Small).JPG
Its not an 800 though

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a rotary triple with carbs, Complete custom case and not cheap but still a triple with TWIN rotary. 250 natural. This sled is a scary as ch!t ditch banger. Also in a CK3 chassis.
View attachment 61111
Its not an 800 though

LOL - I was thinking of you when I was reading Magnet's post. Ditch banger my ass.... :p most grocery-getters I have seen do not run a wet kit......:D

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
It is in the process of getting a hair dryer on it, we want to be able to clear the aproaches.

was hoping for a race in eckville but it looks like it is a no go. Will do Fernie for sure if its on and hittin pavement next summer. Looking at that 1/8th mile track down in the okanogan.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 61111
Its not an 800 though

Polar builds some nice power

670 to 800 Triple, both have good and bad.
old technology but strong runners, If you are leaving them stock, both are strong in their own class, but the 800 will beat the 670 if all things are equal just based on the CC's.
People get caught up in buying sleds to run against their buddies, but the two sleds are never the same and when they lose they get dissapointed with the sled.
670 is a lighter easier to handle but quick and the 800 is heavier but more brute power.
670 will get way better milage if that is an issue.
you said the 670 is a summit so if you ever do decide to try the mountains it will most likely be a better sled for that but both are very good sleds in their own ways.
The 670 is almost bullet proof and easier to get used or new after market stuff if that is something that might happen.
In saying all this and seaming to lean towards the 670, I personally would by the 800 depending on the milage, condition and price.
It will really depend on your expectations and what is in the right shape for the price.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is in the process of getting a hair dryer on it, we want to be able to clear the aproaches.

was hoping for a race in eckville but it looks like it is a no go. Will do Fernie for sure if its on and hittin pavement next summer. Looking at that 1/8th mile track down in the okanogan.

There is a grass race in Great falls if you want to make some passes.
I am thinking of going down there with my 800 but not sure yet

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
There is a grass race in Great falls if you want to make some passes.
I am thinking of going down there with my 800 but not sure yet

Wont have the build done untill end of september, was pushing to make eckville. we will try and hit a few winter races. i have plenty of land to do a few passes on so we will scratch the itch either way. this old iron is still very impressive in the right hands.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wont have the build done untill end of september, was pushing to make eckville. we will try and hit a few winter races. i have plenty of land to do a few passes on so we will scratch the itch either way. this old iron is still very impressive in the right hands.

Do you have timing system?
Do you have full 500 ft and good shutdown?
I went out to Rosemary to make some runs, but that was just more for fun and the spectators as the track was short

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Do you have timing system?
Do you have full 500 ft and good shutdown?
I went out to Rosemary to make some runs, but that was just more for fun and the spectators as the track was short

Rosemary, thats funny. That is only about 10 min north of my place. I wasnt there this year but last year the track was only 300 feet and shutdown was a little scary. A large water truck right in the way.

We have no official timing system but if your fast you can feel it.

Top Bottom