650 can am over heating

speenz21

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone can tell me wat i can do to stop my 2009 can am 650 from over heating while playing in the my ... like my rad gets pluged then it over heats has anyone had this problem ....... also how are silverbacks

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Have a 800 Outty with same issue

I made up a 12V bilge pump from a boat/Sea-Doo with a 10 foot long clear vinyl hose and then put a reducer to 1/4" to up the pressure. It will spray about 4 feet, use it to clean the rad. It only takes a few minutes, got the idea from a few SxS guys who have similiar heat problems

Also Silverbacks are great in mud, crapola for trail but hard on drivetrain

Last edited:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Make sure your rad is REAL clean!!!!! try using a heavier motor oil as well, run in low gear in the mud and hills also helps, in high you are over working it,,,,,,, I get several calls through the summer for rentals from guys with cooked 650 can-am motors here in Rocky,,,,,, They try to limp mode them out and fry it, one blew a cooling line and then cooked the motor,,,,,,, maybe I dont want to rent to these guys too much!!!

Smidgy

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone can tell me wat i can do to stop my 2009 can am 650 from over heating while playing in the my ... like my rad gets pluged then it over heats has anyone had this problem ....... also how are silverbacks

The overheating is the Can-am's achilles heel, so much compression making tons of power, but also tons of heat. If you plan on running a lot of mud, you may want to look into mounting rad on front rack, it will completely solve the issue, but some people don't like the way it looks. If not for you, try running some engine ice coolant in there(supposedly it will drop the temperature a couple of degrees) running in low as stated wil help to as your cvt will be spinning faster acting like a fan and not laboring the engine, just make sure your not revving too high...

Silverbacks will be awesome in the mud, but you will be getting a ton more mud thrown up at the rad from them front tires, so like I said if you are serious about the mud, I would look for a rad relocation kit.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Daughters boyfriends is always overheating.

He has to stop and clean the rad all the time..:rant:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Relocate the rad or do some taping off and keep the mud out of the rad. Simple solutions.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I get lucky when I bought my Outlander:confused: I hear of people having this problem alot. Mine has never overheated once, and I bag the crap out of it.....sometimes.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I get lucky when I bought my Outlander:confused: I hear of people having this problem alot. Mine has never overheated once, and I bag the crap out of it.....sometimes.

Yep, me too. I have never had a second worth of grief. I did, however, pull out all the factory plastic crap from around my rad. Makes it a lot easier to wash, plus it actually gets some air now.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, me too. I have never had a second worth of grief. I did, however, pull out all the factory plastic crap from around my rad. Makes it a lot easier to wash, plus it actually gets some air now.

I did the same... I also run Engine Ice.

speenz21

Reaction score
drop the antifreeze for the summer and add 2 jugs of water Wetter. they use that on race cars,
first make sure the rad fins are clean, and it circulates.
my son uses that in his Ford 460 motorhome, used to boil over all the time, Not anymore.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Water Wetter® Coolant Additives

water wetter will work with Antifreeze ,but not as good.

wat is this water wetter is it bad for engine and will it void warranty

TonkaQuad

Reaction score
Moving your rad is a huge help, its cheap and easy to do IMO. Also putting in some Engine Ice helps. As for the silverbacks they are great in the mud for they dig and throw the mud, but it all depends on what you want to do.I had a set of 28s.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 2008 Outlander 650. I did the rad relocate last season and it SEEMED to have done the trick, but a few weekends ago (in +28 weather), the temp light came on twice. Will swapping out my coolant for Engine Ice help? Someone also suggested a cap-full of Water Wetter. Does anyone have any experience with this problem and an effective solution? I CAN'T keep overheating in front of my buddy on his Polaris.....I'll never hear the end of it.

Whitey

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wetter is your friend, a clean rad also helps, even though it's relocated they still get dirty on the underside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure your rad isn't swelled up in the Center fins I had that problem with one of my 08's, had the rad replaced, no issues.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that is a must do that nobody has mentioned yet is pull the rad out a few times a season, soak and give a good cleaning. Mud gets caked in like concrete and hoses only clean so much. Trail dust then some moisture makes a great concrete.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to scrub the rad clean, and maybe try some wetter before heading out this Sunday (+28 forecast). If I still overheat, I have a few jugs of Engine Ice already on stand-by in the garage, that''l be Plan B. Thanks again.

Whitey Jr

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A drop or two of dish soap will help, sounds stupid but it breaks the surface tension of the coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would seriously check the middle section of the rad for Swelling...... its quite common

Top Bottom