4 Stroke or nothing

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how the sidewinder has progressed well passed the Apex, Nitro and viper. I was never a fan of yamaha merging with Arctic Cat. Takes away the purity and uniqueness of each brand in my opinion. (wonder who called who first on that deal). Yamaha had to do something drastic in order to stay relevant in overall marketshare. It worked out well for them in this case without the millions invested in R & D to develope a new chassis especially in the mountain segment. They did what they had to do sticking with their 4 cycle mantra. I still have a personnal fantasy of Yamaha releasing a 165" 850 DI injected 2 cycle twin in a ALL Yamaha chassis under 450 lbs. I know I would be dreaming in technicolor for that to happen. Just redesign that seat on the sidewider already! It's the size of a sofa! In the meantime I'll be sipping my DOOO-Laid.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You see me all the time out there Doug...I’ll ride anything that works...I prefer the 4stroke for realiability, great performance, no belts, no oil, and for my size it just works. I’m usually leading the pack in the trees. 4 stroke is an anomaly around those parts forsure .... riding gets me away from everyday chaos, spending time with family and friends, and the exploration of new territory. My Yamaha allows me to do that and doesn’t let me down. No, I’m not brainwashed or brand loyal. I have a polaris is the garage also.

I am always willing help fellow sledders with any problems and I don’t trash any other brand of sled on the forums.
(That I can remember haha)

Lol almost sounds like a add here...

Well said, i also have a 2 stroke, an Arctic Cat and occasionally ride it instead of the 4 stroke. But because the majority on here ride 2 strokes and there is an endless amount of info on them (2strokes) with a lot of BS that goes along with it.
So a little insight is given on the new mountain 4 stroke, like it or not i will continue to talk about 4 strokes as there are people interested in them and i will give them the truth and unwrap the BS about them.
Some might not like it but from all the messaging i get there are plenty of other that do and wanting more insight.
Funny thing i get plenty of messaging for help or advice on 2 strokes.

For trashing other brand, MOST all know nothing about being trash because of what they ride till you ride a Yamaha. This is internet, you should experience it in real life, it get's OLD and tiring after a while when your constantly getting poked at.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So from other experienced guys do you think the extra 15% flow with this 3” core would help
in longer pulls of IAT? These are being designed and built by Tommcat Performance for drag race applications. They are willing to let me try one out for Western Riding. I may try one .. quick and simple to change out.

I think it will be beneficial for you. Are you not running the 270hp setup?
Cooling the incoming air will help maintain that big power on long pull's and better control combustion temperatures. Cooler combustion temp's equal's consistent hp and better improved torque.

You asked me once how come motors loose torque as they increase hp. Its all about how fuel is delivered and timed, you can make a motor build HP... BUT does it make torque. Though they go hand and hand, torque and HP, not all will deliver the same torque number's, in this case with the same HP.
By better controlling the air at a cooler temp., the ecu will increase the fuel delivery richness and timing through out the curve. Thus increasing your torque while maintaining the HP.

Last edited:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how the sidewinder has progressed well passed the Apex, Nitro and viper. I was never a fan of yamaha merging with Arctic Cat. Takes away the purity and uniqueness of each brand in my opinion. (wonder who called who first on that deal). Yamaha had to do something drastic in order to stay relevant in overall marketshare. It worked out well for them in this case without the millions invested in R & D to develope a new chassis especially in the mountain segment. They did what they had to do sticking with their 4 cycle mantra. I still have a personnal fantasy of Yamaha releasing a 165" 850 DI injected 2 cycle twin in a ALL Yamaha chassis under 450 lbs. I know I would be dreaming in technicolor for that to happen. Just redesign that seat on the sidewider already! It's the size of a sofa! In the meantime I'll be sipping my DOOO-Laid.

I weighed me seat it was surprisingly lighter than I thought aftermarket ones only a couple lbs lighter. Biggest weight savings still in muffler and battery. I don’t believe you will see a yammies 2stroke unless the sled market drastically changes it’s such small potatoes for them it’s just not worth there time.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I weighed me seat it was surprisingly lighter than I thought aftermarket ones only a couple lbs lighter. Biggest weight savings still in muffler and battery. I don’t believe you will see a yammies 2stroke unless the sled market drastically changes it’s such small potatoes for them it’s just not worth there time.

Agreed it will never happen. They can just stay the course and keep improving. There on the right path.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe you will see a yammies 2stroke unless the sled market drastically changes it’s such small potatoes for them it’s just not worth there time.

I wouldn’t count it out........
Rumblings out there about textron not being interested in carrying the cat side of things for much longer, at least not in their own.

All hail the new yamacat alpha-winder!!!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll take a 175 alpha winder. In blue and white please.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tomcat knows his stuff and has been a great asset to the 4 stroke crowd. He's a straight shooter for sure. I would give it a go if he is offering.

So from other experienced guys do you think the extra 15% flow with this 3” core would help
in longer pulls of IAT? These are being designed and built by Tommcat Performance for drag race applications. They are willing to let me try one out for Western Riding. I may try one .. quick and simple to change out.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like it... KingAlpha...
92E193E5-BE63-44CA-91AF-463115A7216A.jpeg

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Question Guys - Found a good deal on a 2017 sidewinder. Just curious if there’s enough difference between the ‘18 - ‘19 to warrant spending the extra cash?

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question Guys - Found a good deal on a 2017 sidewinder. Just curious if there’s enough difference between the ‘18 - ‘19 to warrant spending the extra cash?

The only big difference is the tunnel, the drop & roll and the air intake system 17-18.

Top Bottom