4 Stroke or nothing

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it would be 7 sisters.

I don’t mind travelling to ride. It’s 7 hours to sic and I know a guy there that lets me squat at his place from time to time. I get the occasional meal out of his missus too lol. I definitely enjoy riding that country more as the snow imo is also better never mind the terrain differences.

But convenience is key being I live here so guess I’m stuck to the 2s life for now. Will have to see how the alpha does before I decide what I want next year.

Well let me know when your riding in the neighborhood and you can swing a leg over the Winder for a ride.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you guys riding SW give me an approximate idea what kind of life your getting from your belt's. Plus if any one has blown one or two or more.
If you have had no issues, let me know and year of the sled please.
I know a few you are replacing them to be on the safe side, if that's the case, how many miles before you switch it out?
Thx.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well let me know when your riding in the neighborhood and you can swing a leg over the Winder for a ride.

Will do. Thanks for the offer.

Probably be out in the North Okanagan/Shuswaps the week before Xmas and a couple days after if my vacation request gets approved.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hopped on one of these last season for a good burn and was pleasantly surprised. You can feel the extra weight but not like the older 4 strokes (I'm looking at you 1100t, what junk to ride in anything besides nut deep pow). I'm giving an honest thought to tree hustling one next year as that's my bread and butter. I'm trying to expand my terrain and risk education to do more big mountain riding as the conditions allow and no question when you need to go up and not across steep and deep the boosted 4s power owns all.

How are these to roll over? Are rollover valves still a thing? Do I need to let it sit a bit for oil to drain back out of the head or does the dry sump help with that? Is the airbox/intake going to fill with oil?

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you guys riding SW give me an approximate idea what kind of life your getting from your belt's. Plus if any one has blown one or two or more.
I know a few you are replacing them to be on the safe side, if that's the case, how many miles before you switch it out?
Thx.

1000 kms seemed to be the number last year for myself and 2 other Sidewinder riders.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hopped on one of these last season for a good burn and was pleasantly surprised. You can feel the extra weight but not like the older 4 strokes (I'm looking at you 1100t, what junk to ride in anything besides nut deep pow). I'm giving an honest thought to tree hustling one next year as that's my bread and butter. I'm trying to expand my terrain and risk education to do more big mountain riding as the conditions allow and no question when you need to go up and not across steep and deep the boosted 4s power owns all.

How are these to roll over? Are rollover valves still a thing? Do I need to let it sit a bit for oil to drain back out of the head or does the dry sump help with that? Is the airbox/intake going to fill with oil?

Rollover valve is now factory stock, airbox stays nice!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I have not. Currently have a C3 setup which is an improvement, but not perfect for me. Stock steering drops when turning and at 6'5" i feel it forces me to bend over and stick my butt out. I am hoping the vertical kit would keep me upright and centered. I realize it "might" effect trail manners.

Have you tried it?
Erik tried to get me on that system, he had one to sell me but first i wanted to try it on the Winder, we were suppose to go out riding together but his work got in the way.
My wife's Cat has the flat steering which i ride on occasions but its an 800 so i think it would feel different on the Winder?

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
d8beb194fca362c4d60c71c5d0b4671a.jpg

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other 2 got about the same as you on their belts?

Yes. My main riding buddy is on a Sidewinder, I blew my belt one day at just over 1000kms. Next day my buddy blew his right around the same kms on his sled. The other guy I rode with once and told him how I blew my first belt at 1000kms. Few days later he said he just blew his first belt, think he was just under 1000kms. All on the factory belts.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. My main riding buddy is on a Sidewinder, I blew my belt one day at just over 1000kms. Next day my buddy blew his right around the same kms on his sled. The other guy I rode with once and told him how I blew my first belt at 1000kms. Few days later he said he just blew his first belt, think he was just under 1000kms. All on the factory belts.

Thanks that is real good info.
I did around 1200km before i changed the belt but felt uneasy after passing the 1000km mark, then decide f "ck it, i'm changing the belt, glad i did.
So i'm guessing 800-1000km depending on riding style and condition is a good average time to change out the belt. I do know some getting under 500km before blowing their belt and Yamaha did ask how long i got out of my belts, so i figure some guys are having issues. That doesn't surprise me as MTX clutch weights are calibrated for 8-10,000ft, too high for most anywhere in BC.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a tool hurricane performance makes to check clutch offset. I bought one. This has been the fix it for poor belt life on totally yamaha. Mine was out 2mm. I had motts machining take 2mm off mine. Almost every sidewinder is off from the factory.

How many kilometers you figure you get on a belt? Before and after the mod.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven’t used it since I had it machined. I do know that prior after a few pulls the heat was insane. Can’t believe the belt stayed on it to be honest.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all.... what is ones opinion on a larger IC?... it seems that no one is designing a W2A or S2A.

Flow bench testing of the 998 intercoolers is complete.
Although flow varies with different pressures, on average, the 2.25 inch core flows 7% more CFM than stock and the 3 inch core flows 15% more than stock.
Testing was done on our Superflow SF-110 with pressures from 6" up to the max of 16"
57F6D739-BBD8-436B-8C0E-AD7BF224F865.jpg 4713176F-AA1B-4166-9386-2FD7DD046627.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious what guys are running the front shocks at ? soft, med, stiff ,super stiff
im running Elka stage 4 on my fronts with coils set soft

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx.

I think I was 1200km on my first belt absolutely disintegrated it on a day that had 4 feet of fluff should of known better I believe I threw another one on last year after another 1000km just to be safe full load hard riding that’s for sure.

Top Bottom