4 Stroke or nothing

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few guys over no Snowest swear the tripod setup too. I have been thinking about it for a couple years now and will likely be doing it this season. Supposedly it helps with laying it over and sidehilling. I'm tall so hoping it helps keep me upright, butt centered and staying on the sled, lol.

You guys are talking about Erik Anderson, he likes the flat Cat steering so ya the Cat would be his choice. I see he has that tripod set up mounted to the Viper or did they come that way from OEM? He did the same to his Sidewinder installed the tripod and swears by it.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dale, sledding is all about perception. Every one has there own idea of what sledding is about and the internet can be a good thing or bad thing depending on your own thoughts of what your idea of sledding is.
Some people sledding at the cabin or going ice fishing is idea. Other's hanging out with their buddies and ripping up trails maybe doing lake drags.
On S&M today is tree riding with many, other's might be technical and it wasn't that long ago highmarking was the thing.
Tomorrow who knows ???????
People will buy a sled to fit their style and they will hang with and ride with people with the same interest in riding and idea.
This doesn't mean one sled is better then the other but on forums with mixed ideas of sledding you get the BS. The bad thing of internet forums.

Here is why internet can be bad, my idea of mountain riding is NOT tree riding. Tree riding can be done any where that it snows and doesn't require a mountain to do it.
"Now that my thought" and many that tree ride will argue that. Fair enough, that is their idea.
True mountain riding is exactly that, getting into nose bleed terrain, dealing with avalanches, cornices, crevasses and traversing what ever obstacle that come in the way generally above tree line. Its a dangerous style of riding and requires the right sled to do it.
No my version of a mountain rider is not an expert tree rider nor is he a master of technical but generally will manage these terrain to get to the terrain he likes to ride. The alpine.
The 4 stroke dominates ANY other sled in alpine terrain.
So the big question is, what is your idea sledding, you said you suck at tree riding. Practice makes perfect or maybe its not for you. Personally, i suck too at tree riding, don't like exchanging body panels for bark and limbs so don't spend a lot of time in the trees but move on to the alpine.

Fair points. I believe you’re correct it’s a practice thing. From what I’ve seen in this area a lot of the riding is in the trees. It’s not like revy golden or sic. The open areas get pounded pretty quick and snow is hit or miss so you spend a lot of time pounding the trees to find the open spots. Maybe the reason there are so many cats and poos around here and not many 4s. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one except in the showroom around here.

Just gotta find more riding buddies as I don’t really know many folks around here and get more seat time, hone the skills, lose some weight then maybe look into a winder. I got another year on the T3 then maybe look to upgrade.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Fair points. I believe you’re correct it’s a practice thing. From what I’ve seen in this area a lot of the riding is in the trees. It’s not like revy golden or sic. The open areas get pounded pretty quick and snow is hit or miss so you spend a lot of time pounding the trees to find the open spots. Maybe the reason there are so many cats and poos around here and not many 4s. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever even seen one except in the showroom around here.

Just gotta find more riding buddies as I don’t really know many folks around here and get more seat time, hone the skills, lose some weight then maybe look into a winder. I got another year on the T3 then maybe look to upgrade.

You are correct Dale. We don't have the accessible alpine due to the fact that we are further south and the tree line is a little higher. Our rocks are rocks above the tree line and we don't have many places to ride them. Trees and chambered meadows are what most of east Koot riding is about and there isn't a lot of open space unless it is a cut block or burnt area. The open climbing is minuscule and when one gets to the top there is no recourse but to turn around and come down. Very few alpine meadow as the rocks are way to steep (like goat country steep). If we didn't ride trees, we wouldn't do much local riding around here as once again you are correct, the easily accessible areas get pounded quick and the untouched pow is in the trees and the tighter and deeper the trees the better the pow.

4 strokes have their place but they are not my cup of tea. So back on topic.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few guys over no Snowest swear the tripod setup too. I have been thinking about it for a couple years now and will likely be doing it this season. Supposedly it helps with laying it over and sidehilling. I'm tall so hoping it helps keep me upright, butt centered and staying on the sled, lol.

Have you tried it?
Erik tried to get me on that system, he had one to sell me but first i wanted to try it on the Winder, we were suppose to go out riding together but his work got in the way.
My wife's Cat has the flat steering which i ride on occasions but its an 800 so i think it would feel different on the Winder?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are correct Dale. We don't have the accessible alpine due to the fact that we are further south and the tree line is a little higher. Our rocks are rocks above the tree line and we don't have many places to ride them. Trees and chambered meadows are what most of east Koot riding is about and there isn't a lot of open space unless it is a cut block or burnt area. The open climbing is minuscule and when one gets to the top there is no recourse but to turn around and come down. Very few alpine meadow as the rocks are way to steep (like goat country steep). If we didn't ride trees, we wouldn't do much local riding around here as once again you are correct, the easily accessible areas get pounded quick and the untouched pow is in the trees and the tighter and deeper the trees the better the pow.

Absolutely correct, were you live and ride. What your riding partners and buddies ride and how they ride all play a role.
I see Dale that you've shown interest in the Winder since it came out, even considered a Viper i think last year and tossing the idea, asking question's. Personally if i was you living in the eastern Koots as Doug describes it would be simple. Forget the Sidewinder and ride one of the 2stroke's, put your coin on one of the 850's. You'll be happier.
Unless your wanting to make changes in your riding style and location's by hitting the road, that is what KB and i do.
Was 4 days in the Kootney's last season.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking. I would love to try a sidewinder but am doubtful it would be a good choice for around these parts. A person becomes a good tree rider out of necessity here. Cant get to many decent areas without a good amount of steep tight trees. For the more open stuff like around Sicamous and Revy I can see where the big 4s would be a great fit. Who knows though? Maybe a bigger guy would have no problem with the winder in the tight trees.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. I would love to try a sidewinder but am doubtful it would be a good choice for around these parts. A person becomes a good tree rider out of necessity here. Cant get to many decent areas without a good amount of steep tight trees. For the more open stuff like around Sicamous and Revy I can see where the big 4s would be a great fit. Who knows though? Maybe a bigger guy would have no problem with the winder in the tight trees.

I know a guy on a 4 stroke (not sure what it is) and he does great. I can't ride at 90 mph all the time through the trees and in many cases with that weight, that is what one has to do. I marvel at how he handles the beast. I know my limitations and that is all part of the equation.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 rx-1 for local riding around Lacombe. It’s just awesome. That 4 stroke is just magical when it winds out.

Attachments

• A97A5A40-E3A0-4B6A-B9E2-B370139C916A.jpg
    A97A5A40-E3A0-4B6A-B9E2-B370139C916A.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 215

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride kakwa mainly, we have it all, bad part with all the big climbs is you do have to come down how you went up. On socked in days we have areas we can make large loops and play through the trees in powder. I do not ride with trees bouncing off my helmet and hood all day, nor do I side hill it like Brandt. We are able in a lot of areas go from mountain to mountain without dropping much below tree line. I have rode the Telkwas in Houston, the Onion in Smithers. Par berry, foam, salmon and groundhog in blue River, Boulder and Frisby in Revy. I hope to make it to Sicamous this year to ride with a buddy down there. All have been rode with my 4s turbos.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride kakwa mainly, we have it all, bad part with all the big climbs is you do have to come down how you went up. On socked in days we have areas we can make large loops and play through the trees in powder. I do not ride with trees bouncing off my helmet and hood all day, nor do I side hill it like Brandt. We are able in a lot of areas go from mountain to mountain without dropping much below tree line. I have rode the Telkwas in Houston, the Onion in Smithers. Par berry, foam, salmon and groundhog in blue River, Boulder and Frisby in Revy. I hope to make it to Sicamous this year to ride with a buddy down there. All have been rode with my 4s turbos.

I rode Houston years ago and Terrace, i think the area or mountain was called "Twin sister" or maybe "Seven sister" ????? Its was a long time ago.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode Houston years ago and Terrace, i think the area or mountain was called "Twin sister" or maybe "Seven sister" ????? Its was a long time ago.

I believe it would be 7 sisters.

I don’t mind travelling to ride. It’s 7 hours to sic and I know a guy there that lets me squat at his place from time to time. I get the occasional meal out of his missus too lol. I definitely enjoy riding that country more as the snow imo is also better never mind the terrain differences.

But convenience is key being I live here so guess I’m stuck to the 2s life for now. Will have to see how the alpha does before I decide what I want next year.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like riding all these places but Kakwa is still my favourite as we have a huge area. Plus it's only 2 hrs from my house and I have a winter camp to stay in.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya he's been done there since spring

Doing his own thing for now

Yup, Erik is gone from Vernon and no one seems to know where he's disappeared too. I was in there today and asked.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, Erik is gone from Vernon and no one seems to know where he's disappeared too. I was in there today and asked.
He bought a gravel truck of all things, talked to him this last week

Top Bottom