4 Stroke or nothing

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No EVO didn't fold... they are bigger than ever just dropped sled tunes as the SXS Market has overcome company. Don't get me wrong they have quality products.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund... I will take that info and pocket it. I will try with stock gearing and then do gear change... lord knows I love digging into a winders chaincase. :realmad::realmad:

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Youbet... excellent guy.

superclose buddy ol pal of mine. Built lots of evo 4S units with him. Curious to see what you end up with on yours...I’m pretty curious to hear about new stuff on these units, sounds like you got it figured out and dialed in.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
superclose buddy ol pal of mine. Built lots of evo 4S units with him. Curious to see what you end up with on yours...I’m pretty curious to hear about new stuff on these units, sounds like you got it figured out and dialed in.

Far from dialed... I just want to do it as practically as possible without changing the world. As Lund alluded to I really have a hard time believing these ECU Tunes maintain stated HP at elevation as these little hair dryers produce some heat. Which another thing Hurricane has is a secondary IC to decrease temps.. its nice feature as it takes the heat soak and it runs in series to stock IC.

Last edited:

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you think it would lose? I’ve had Swiss cheese panels and full mesh hoods on all of mine except the full carbon gigantic air box / hood set up on one of the 174’s. Always did good with belts and temps seemed descent.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This article from snow sports magazine oct 18 issue says lots about the thunder cat clutching vs Yamaha clutching. As for my king cat clutching it’s been great so far I only got it at Easter so only 555 km but never having to adjust the belt deflection again is priceless. The 16 1100 turbo has 2200km and is on its second belt but I do struggle a little to get the belt set right View attachment 212924

I have no issues with the Cat clutches, they are a great clutch, easy to custom tune and will handle big power. Both Cat and Yamaha clutches are simple in design unlike that jewel BRP has. LOL
Its interesting that this little write up is non mountain related, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt considering the clutches.
The results could be very different pulling a 162 in 3ft of snow at 6,000ft.
Either way, i would be happy with both clutches.

Last edited:

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I also am doing the same tune as Kibbles with the same weights, the only thing different is my sled is a 174 so we will really see the difference. One big difference will be the Baker skid on mine, I feel it will dominate with the extra power on hills in my opinion, but his sled will be faster in a drag race, should make for some crazy pulls this year if I have the balls to do it!

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also am doing the same tune as Kibbles with the same weights, the only thing different is my sled is a 174 so we will really see the difference. One big difference will be the Baker skid on mine, I feel it will dominate with the extra power on hills in my opinion, but his sled will be faster in a drag race, should make for some crazy pulls this year if I have the balls to do it!

I’ll bring the Stage 4 Evo 162” aswell so we can compare the tunes. I’m curious to see the difference. I’m switching to the DTYA-1’s this season and different springs a few guys recommend I try. See how much of a difference it will be.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As one who has been on a 4S for some time now, and done a tone of reading, I can say with confidence that Dave at Hurricane is a full on HP guy. His products are always highly rated and his tunes seem to be very consistant and true to the rated HP. If I had the Yami engine my choice would be Hurricane all the way. Precison EFI would be worth a look too. There is Turbo Dynamics, but I hate the way the guy does business.

STM weights are excellent for tuning. Again, highly rated and good support. My secret weapon is the Cutler Turbo Mags. I find they respond quickly due to the lighter weight but more aggressive profile.

Your going to love the combo you've put together. Wish I could be there for your first couple rides. Not often you will see a man smile ear to ear as he is crapping his pants.

So I've made a change... I deleted my EVO Stage 4 for a few reasons.
1. EVO promised 3bar MS & didn't deliver
2. They are NO LONGER providing ECU Mapping as they are now going with 3rd party PEFI (I think PEFI is very good)
3. They failed to return calls and emails.... so was a waste of monies. Very disappointing but never the less...

So I now have the Hurricane 270 High Elevation Tune... The reason's why I went with Hurricane as they have been on the Yamaha train for many years, They did my head on one of my nytros and was beautiful work, and they have developed a new kit with machined center section with huge gains 330hp 220 ftlbs this is currently only for SL to 4k' on 91 Octane.... (I have been a MCX guy since 2006 with apex's & nytro's) I was darn near going to go with the MCX 260-340 Kit but I'm trying to be more responsible with monies and I think clutching is gonna be challenging for me anyways.
What is unique Hurricane Data logged for weeks from 3k' - 10k' hence why its called this tune 270HE (High Elevation) as they wanted to enter the western market.

All that being said I'm hoping I made the right choice for weights so going to run STM @ 83 grams... maybe i should have went with Dalton DTYA-2 OR SSI Magnetic like the profile Lund uses. Staying with stock helix and using purple sec.
View attachment 212923

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2e01242b68ff0654cd24d5e37b2a6707.jpg
36779b35b823f1bf027b1cc413e2f091.jpg

One of the most fun sleds I have ever owned. Probably never sell it. Put a lot of time and money into this project and now she works awesome. Love the 4 stroke power! Also if anyone is looking for another option for bigger turbo kits precision sports is now making kits for the sidewinder. Top notch service too, who does all my tuning.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chad at CR called me, he has made these new tunnel reinforcement bracing for the SW, Viper and King Cat tunnels.
Currently he has made two set's for the 174, one set for Climax Winder and a set for me. If your running a 174 you have probably noticed that the tunnel is fairly flimsy and it is IMO. The reinforcement kit is highly recommended and will be made available for the 174's.

Here is a pic of CR new style with centre tunnel support.... as you see rear handle has center section that attaches to tunnel.
I’m going to install this weekend... I’m going to get Xmrider163 to install my boards lmao ... he’s a pro at it!!

image1 (3).jpeg

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181102/2e01242b68ff0654cd24d5e37b2a6707.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181102/36779b35b823f1bf027b1cc413e2f091.jpg

One of the most fun sleds I have ever owned. Probably never sell it. Put a lot of time and money into this project and now she works awesome. Love the 4 stroke power! Also if anyone is looking for another option for bigger turbo kits precision sports is now making kits for the sidewinder. Top notch service too, who does all my tuning.

Sweny St.... thanks for info on Precision Sports... seems same price as PEFI for upgrade for Winder $5200.00!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of CR new style with centre tunnel support.... as you see rear handle has center section that attaches to tunnel.
I’m going to install this weekend... I’m going to get Xmrider163 to install my boards lmao ... he’s a pro at it!!

View attachment 212951

Yes, think of all the DOO's you will be able to tow out now...LOL.
I have to go get mine, haven't had time and he's only 45min away LOL.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good points.... I'm very curious how well the QS3 holds we will hit the bull pen and start off on Sweny St.

Top Bottom