3" track - What gearing??

mrsnowman

Reaction score
is it possible to make my 154 08 into a 163 with a tunnel extension and rails. and who makes a kit for this.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it possible to make my 154 08 into a 163 with a tunnel extension and rails. and who makes a kit for this.

Yes it is possible. I did it to my sled. I dont know of any kit to do it though. I went with Ice Age rails, Van Amburg tunnel extension, bought a camo extreme track. You will need to do some gearing and clutching adjustments to go with the longer track also.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what gearing should i run with a 174 2.5 with the split second 880

Ran 2.52 with 8 tooth drivers on 860 last year and worked good. Not stock clutching or clutchs though.
This is on a belt drive and sled pulled good track speed and would still run just under 80 mph.
Race primary and paragon secondary shifting all the way out.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did this as well. 162 Camo 3" track. 7 tooth avid drivers, VE tunnel extension with bumper and running 21/45 gears. on steep deep pulls getting 45-47 mph on the dial

:d:d:d:d

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a shot this year, i hope it works out. I just can't bring myself to gear the sled that high right off the bat. Im going to try 20-49 to start and hope it doesn't take half the winter to figure it out.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a shot this year, i hope it works out. I just can't bring myself to gear the sled that high right off the bat. Im going to try 20-49 to start and hope it doesn't take half the winter to figure it out.

Hey Foxstar. Let me know when your heading out. I'd like to see how the general stacks up withthat Etec. I will be going on Nov 11 if the snow allows then again on the 3rd and 18th of Dec

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just got the 3" paddle track in yesturday. I am surprised by the weight, 62lbs, camplast advertised this thing at 72lbs. Not complaining thats for sure, probably a good explanation why people are still pulling good track speeds. The loss is just from the larger paddle.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SSo the verdict is in. Does a 3" work.... YES!. track was installed in a stock 2008 800 summit x, with stock gearing, and 7 tooth drivers. noticed no loss in rpms and having to do any major clutching or gearing mods. top speed was 84mph, so whatever the reduction works out to. i can honestly say putting this track on is worth about 10 or 15hp. compared to the big bore with the stock sled it gets on top of the pow twice as fast, will it take the BB, no. Track speed dominates over paddle. If some one is going through the hassle of a track change, just get thee 3" and change the driver.

Also notice some cons, yes the sled ran 1 bar hotter on the trail. Mostly from that with the extra lug u dont get ice build up on the bottom of the tunnel (scaps it off). As well hyfax run hotter, with no ports there is mega less snow build up in the skid and snow gettin tossed in there.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you need to check how far your running up the primary, got a feeling it might be very low

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm running a 2010 xp 800 slp head 162"- 3" 7 tooth avids
20-49 rooster clutching works great
may even change to 20-51 have to
check my primary marks to see

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you need to check how far your running up the primary, got a feeling it might be very low

So we got around to checking the clutches. Shift out is 7/8 up or better. Bout 1/4 to 1/2 in down from the top. I think that is pretty good. Test done with marker line on clutch.

Also checked the tunnel and there is no rubing on the top. Did notice one corner of a paddles where wearing, same place as the stockers.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to here, now you checked this at 8000 feet, and did a pull to see how high the belt went up.... if so 7/8 is perfect, what is your gearing?

So we got around to checking the clutches. Shift out is 7/8 up or better. Bout 1/4 to 1/2 in down from the top. I think that is pretty good. Test done with marker line on clutch.

Also checked the tunnel and there is no rubing on the top. Did notice one corner of a paddles where wearing, same place as the stockers.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7/8 Shift out? Full shift would get you about 75mph so does that mean you are spinning the track uphill in snow at about 65mph? Seams fast.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to here, now you checked this at 8000 feet, and did a pull to see how high the belt went up.... if so 7/8 is perfect, what is your gearing?

yes at 8000ft with this sled we are on clicker 3, pretty typicalfor this elevation. Gearing is the stock 163 gearing. Most of the time we are clicker 2, 90% of the ride out there are between 65-7000ft

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very good to hear, i hope to get the 3 inch on soon, but so far i have added 7 grams to the primary over stock and last ride i was pushing 8100rpm on clicker 3, maybe i will not have to touch once the 3 inch is installed with the 7t drivers

i put a ypipe with a tss can

anyone know what stock primary pin weight is??

Top Bottom