3" track - What gearing??

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the guys out there with the 162x3" setup with 7tooth avid drivers... what gearing are you running and what track speeds are you getting??

was looking to do this over the summer along iwth some other mods.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the guys out there with the 162x3" setup with 7tooth avid drivers... what gearing are you running and what track speeds are you getting??

was looking to do this over the summer along iwth some other mods.

Stock chsaincase. 21/45 gears. It gets 50mph on the speedo so actual speed is 9% less when you consider the difference in diameter of the smaller drivers
This setup rips. The sled started out a 154 so these are the stock gears. I started with the 19t and then the 20t. And the 21t is the best so far. I plan on an 860 with nitrous next year so I will be trying the 22 for sure

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that works out to a 2.14 gear ratio... you find it to be snappy still, meaning spin a nice donut real hard or lots of bottom end track speed??

stock for a 163 is 2.33.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that works out to a 2.14 gear ratio... you find it to be snappy still, meaning spin a nice donut real hard or lots of bottom end track speed??

stock for a 163 is 2.33.
yup its pretty good bottom end. It is a 3" lug so it really doesn't need to be crazy on the bottom end. It is a mountain goat. this thing climbs! doesnt matter if its wet/heavy or light /fluffy its a monster. nothing on 2-1/2 "
( unless turboed ) will come close to it !

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys running 3'' lugs with the stock chain case? How is it for room between the lugs and coolers?

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys running 3'' lugs with the stock chain case? How is it for room between the lugs and coolers?

It works awesome! Im not gonna say its as good as the extended chain case, but my 2008 with stock chaincase and 3" track will destroy a 2010 with a 2-1/2" and with the $3000 I saved by not extending the case, I can put a big bore in it !

XPizzle

Reaction score
Might want to check into the crew at Rooster Built. They have done a bunch of the 174's and 162's and seem to have a good handle on the clutching and gearing.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we seen the 174 by 3inch can ba a real heavy load on the stock motor, and with right gearing and clutching it can work, but track speed will be reduced, like running the older tundra, with the big track, it got you there, but took a hour longer, and was a handful to run threw the trees

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm interested on this as well I got the 860 with twins and nos and just got the new 3'' track and was also wondering what gearing is gonna work the best as well

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm interested on this as well I got the 860 with twins and nos and just got the new 3'' track and was also wondering what gearing is gonna work the best as well

Twins and NOS? :d
Where'd you find room for the bottle? :p
Should be quite the sled!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twins and NOS? :d
Where'd you find room for the bottle? :p
Should be quite the sled!

lol sittin in the same boat this year, you can fit the bottle sorta by the chain case, only a 2.0 lber though. mount it with one end up near the fuse and the other end down by the toe kick. Got me a NOS refill station and all, time to get serious with the power.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol sittin in the same boat this year, you can fit the bottle sorta by the chain case, only a 2.0 lber though. mount it with one end up near the fuse and the other end down by the toe kick. Got me a NOS refill station and all, time to get serious with the power.

Lots of room in the back of the seat for a stealth mount.... LOL just sayin' :D

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of room under the hood hhaahaha it's mounted by chaincase with bottom by toe kick ya it makes for one fun snappy toy with those twins and bottle feeding . I'm thinking of getting that new boss seat and mountain a bigger bottle in there

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how is your sled running with that shim kit to make yours run pump gas I really wanna do it to mine as half and half mix is getting a tad bit expensive

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great, no complaints so far. Mixing is just a pain in the ass, although i am right on the edge, had a funky lean out on may long revy ride last season. Mayby need to bump to a 560 jet, felt stronger there than a 540. We should meet up this winter and you can see first hand.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i would love to meet up and check that beast out. ya mixing is a royal pain I just wannna save some cash here and there i'd still mix a bit for the nos but only use 5 litres instead of 20 each time might save me a bit. let me know anytime you are going out and I will do the same

Top Bottom