3" Track on 2012 163

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found the 3" worked real well for me. Esp. when contacting the snow. photo (1).jpg

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
Mud king, you don't need to drop n roll for a 3" on your sled.
I'll probably do this mod for next season...or, i'll be aiming for as many lumps in the powder as possible, just praying that i'll hit a stump with it pinned...lol...then new 3" goes on. it would be nice to upgrade the engine along with this as a package deal, then i won't need to buy a new sled as this will be a new sled.
Hey I will consider taking the 163" x 2.5 of your hands for you, no need to destroy it, just say that it disappeared & you need a new one

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the real question should be, "do i really need a 3" track??"

most people dont even get out enough in a year to really use it to its potential

I couldn't agree more, i went the 2.5" just because we only get to the mountians 6-8 times a year otherwise i'll burn around here with the kids which wouldn't be doeable with a 3"...especially in low snow conditions. Had the first ride on the 2.5 in Nov and can't believe the difference a 1/4" makes....wish the wife felt the same way.....hehe

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
I'll sell the track for $700. The track is in excellent shape with 1800 km's on it. It is a 163x16x2.5" non ported stock 2011 track. No rips, tears or anything wrong with it and i have not been pinning it into stumps...was just joking.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
So are you guys sure that a challenger extreme 3" will fit with no issues on stock drivers with no drop/roll? It looks like there is just barely a 1" gap now stock, so that would bring it down to just under 1/2".

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll sell the track for $700. The track is in excellent shape with 1800 km's on it. It is a 163x16x2.5" non ported stock 2011 track. No rips, tears or anything wrong with it and i have not been pinning it into stumps...was just joking.

how about 500 cash .... ill pick it up this weekend

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are you guys sure that a challenger extreme 3" will fit with no issues on stock drivers with no drop/roll? It looks like there is just barely a 1" gap now stock, so that would bring it down to just under 1/2".

You sure you want a 3", to tell you the truth i don't know if i am satisfied with it.

Pros:
slow speed meanuvering is great in bumper deep or more
goes great up a hill in powder....straight
floats really nice on powder compared to my stock 08 track
pull back on the bars and she cats like a mofo or pulls right over

Cons:
I can't spin wipe the tail like i used to when side hilling a pulling it straight up
takes a lot of power to rotate it, i know my sled now bears in on full bore pulls
i run 1 bar hotter all the time, more or less 2.... even in 3ft of powder
must run a full length mud flap
must run scratches
when i am stuck, it is a PIA to pull out now as the paddles are deeper and resist more. roll over trick is now your friend
the paddles are so long they fold over on hard pack trails making it slippery, maybe its a hp thing i dunno
VIBRATES like mofo compared to something smaller due to the 7th drivers
you need at least bumper deep pow to really make this thing worth your wild.
pushes in the corners or trying to turn horrible bad.

i am sure my opinion will change as time goes on and adapt better to the track, but my initial results is am on the fence. Cause really if it is handlebar deep powder, your still not going to go much further than your buddies 2.5". As well if you only are getting a 1ft or less, you are not going to see any advantage at all over your buddies. I am sure suspension tuning is seriously required to gain back what i lost. And this is coming from a 7 day sled run out in golden with bumper deep or better pow every day. As well i don't know why anyone would want something short with this much aggression, you can literally bring it over backwards if you pull back a little.

Last edited:

Summit69

Reaction score
Yup, it fits (just not with a VanAmburg cooler) and works well! Chews hard and pulls hard, keep those forearms in shape!Clearance is tight to really tight but there is 4 of us in our group running them with just the 7tooth drivers.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
You sure you want a 3", to tell you the truth i don't know if i am satisfied with it.

Pros:

Cons:
I can't spin wipe the tail like i used to when side hilling a pulling it straight up
takes a lot of power to rotate it, i know my sled now bears in on full bore pulls
must run scratches
when i am stuck, it is a PIA to pull out now as the paddles are deeper and resist more. roll over trick is now your friend
the paddles are so long they fold over on hard pack trails making it slippery, maybe its a hp thing i dunno

i am sure my opinion will change as time goes on and adapt better to the track, but my initial results is am on the fence. Cause really if it is handlebar deep powder, your still not going to go much further than your buddies 2.5". As well if you only are getting a 1ft or less, you are not going to see any advantage at all over your buddies. I am sure suspension tuning is seriously required to gain back what i lost. And this is coming from a 7 day sled run out in golden with bumper deep or better pow every day. As well i don't know why anyone would want something short with this much aggression, you can literally bring it over backwards if you pull back a little.

Good honest feed back, i like it. But I am only really interested for when it's really deep, that's how my whole setup is going to be based around and I don't care about the cat track/road in or out.

Summit 69, so I need 7 tooth drivers though? I can't just stick it on the stock track and driver setup?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pros:

Cons:
must run scratches

these are similar to my findings. except the vibration never noticed that. i wouldnt say i have found any cons yet..maybe the wheelie factor is a bit much with the extra traction but i havent made any suspension changes yet.

the one thing that makes this mod totally worth the $ is how fast it gets back up onto the snow. in a downhill buttonhook compared to the 2.5 this thing is up and running where as the 2.5 is back in the dust making a trench trying to get back some speed and get on top of the snow. and it will and does get there. always. the 3" is just faster.

oh did i mention braking! hello!

Summit69

Reaction score
Yes, you must use the 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers. Ive heard of guys running a 2.5" track on the stock drivers, even though pitch slightly different. But the 3" barely clears with the 7 tooth drivers so there is no way it will work on the stock setup.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for $500 I'll just keep it and then put it back on when i go to sell it. then reuse the 3" on next sled...or sell it if they make major changes.

okey dookey.................. ur loss ... have cash in hand

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree also with the part about a 156 x 3 inch as i can't imagine why you would want it. The 2.5 on the 154 sleds want to come over backwards in the right conditions . I have different skid and 174x3 and it is fine.Keeps the front end down to whatever i set it at.
Never noticed the vibration like yours but it is a little more but not enough that it is a problem. I as well went from the 2.5 (8 tooth driver) last year to 3 (7 tooth driver) this year and you might see a difference over a 2.5 in the right conditions but is hard to tell until we can have the same two sleds with the different tracks to compare at that time in same conditions.

Pros:

Cons:
must run scratches

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same. Have a buddy that has the same sled as i except he has the avid and S.S 860 but can't seem to get out at the same time. I have heard that Cory and some peeps don't like the change of angle on the D&R as it changes to much of the way the sled handles.
I am sure some of us will get a chance to see if there is any difference, good or not.

id like to try an avid chaincase see if its the 2500$ difference.

PS ; Nice picture Maxwell we all new you would jump one day!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom