3" Track on 2012 163

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sure you want a 3", to tell you the truth i don't know if i am satisfied with it.

Pros:
slow speed meanuvering is great in bumper deep or more
goes great up a hill in powder....straight and through the roops
floats really nice on powder compared to my stock 08 track
pull back on the bars and she cats like a mofo or pulls right over
With 55mph track speeds, your going anywhere
Trees are just a new game now
RECOVERY is insane, can literally stop and start
Can carry 15mph? ground speed forever, and where ever you want.

Cons:
i run 1 bar hotter all the time, more or less 2.... even in 3ft of powder
when i am stuck, it is a PIA to pull out now as the paddles are deeper and resist more. roll over trick is now your friend
the paddles are so long they fold over on hard pack trails making it slippery, maybe its a hp thing i dunno
you need at least bumper deep pow to really make this thing worth your wild.
pushes marginally worse than my stock 08 2.25 track.
These track SUCK to be towed behind.

So i am gonna retract and re-arrange my review accordingly. After i got a little more seat time, reclutch slightly and retuned the suspension, this thing is nasty in the deep. I find with this track, running a existing track sometimes slows you down. Recovery is insane, playing in the trees and just to simply now. Button hooks really arnt that much more difficult than my stock 08 track. It does push more on the trail, but anything in the pow you really dont even notice it. What is everyone running for gear ratio and driver setups???? right now i am 23/49, thinking i might want to try a 23/51 setup. All with 7th drivers.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am gonna retract and re-arrange my review accordingly. After i got a little more seat time, reclutch slightly and retuned the suspension, this thing is nasty in the deep. I find with this track, running a existing track sometimes slows you down. Recovery is insane, playing in the trees and just to simply now. Button hooks really arnt that much more difficult than my stock 08 track. It does push more on the trail, but anything in the pow you really dont even notice it. What is everyone running for gear ratio and driver setups???? right now i am 23/49, thinking i might want to try a 23/51 setup. All with 7th drivers.
I tried 23/49 with the 7t drivers and it was ok but didn't like it. It didn't recover track speed like I wanted and had too much rpm fluctuation, and my clutches were only shifting out half way too. But your running a BB. My etec is running good now I'm pretty happy with the 3" now and I got the performance I was looking for after playing with some different clutching, gearing and suspension. I'm getting 47 to 52mph speedo track speed in 3ft of pow. This sled is a beast in the trees, at first I was like you about the 3" but I like it now.
I geared down from stock on my etec after trying 23/49, I'm now 20/49 thinking of trying 20/51, but on the fence about going lower in gearing, don't want to spend more time playing with clutching just for a gear change.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the 23/49 gearing on the etec turbo and its almost perfect at 7lbs boost with 72mph trackspeeds, i might try the 24tooth out for higher boost levels, three inch is very sweet in the conditions we have lately

climbin

Reaction score
I would like to sell off my 174 x 3". Have track, ice age rails, 163 to 174 extension and 8 tooth 3 pitch Avid drivers. Will be taking off this weekend if anyone is interested. Have 5 days riding on it and will sell for 75 cents on the dollar. If someone wants the drivers and is willing to put in an extended case I'll swap the entire axle for a stock axle and drivers. I don't like the way it handles and live in the trees so it's back to the 163 x 2.5 for me. 587-434-5128, Cochrane area

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to sell off my 174 x 3". Have track, ice age rails, 163 to 174 extension and 8 tooth 3 pitch Avid drivers. Will be taking off this weekend if anyone is interested. Have 5 days riding on it and will sell for 75 cents on the dollar. If someone wants the drivers and is willing to put in an extended case I'll swap the entire axle for a stock axle and drivers. I don't like the way it handles and live in the trees so it's back to the 163 x 2.5 for me. 587-434-5128, Cochrane area
So do you have a Avid case already? You must if you have 8t drivers. If you have the case installed the handling wont change much. Plus you'll need the 8t 3.00 pitch to run the 2.5 camo extreme anyway. I would of done the 174 if the dollars were there. But I done the 162 3".

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got to spend a short time on T-Teams 2012 163x3" and was pleasantly surprised how that thing digs...wish there was an open hill for me to try it out on the steep....next time.....for now I"ll be stickin with my 2.5.

Top Bottom