3 belts in 600 miles???

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got four letters too..1- mix gas for the first tank2- here's a shock sticker to make your shock better3- steering nut may be loose4- steering nut may be looseSame letters? My dealer and another are both aware of the belt problem recall, they just say no parts!

Yep; exactly the same here. Mine has been fine; but I am looking forward to seeing what Cat comes up with for off season updates on the 2012's.:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. There's no way that TCL is making the center to center further, when it's bolted soild to the motor and jackshaft. People are saying there's a recall for the belt issue, but dealerships Ive asked know nothing of it and out of the 4 letters I've got from cat so far, not one has been about the belt.

My clutches do get very hot on my proclimb, but I haven't blown a belt yet and it has 940 km of mountain riding on it. I have the 2 largest shims in the secondary for belt deflection and is getting loose so I'm going to have to replace the belt now. Unless you can remove the o-ring and fit more shims on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes its solid mounted. but the bearing race is designed to rotate. so when the engine torques the secondary doesnt necessarily match it. hence the need to add another mount to the torque link

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes its solid mounted. but the bearing race is designed to rotate. so when the engine torques the secondary doesnt necessarily match it. hence the need to add another mount to the torque link
I didn't know it did that. I thought it was just a standard ball bearing.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got four letters too..1- mix gas for the first tank2- here's a shock sticker to make your shock better3- steering nut may be loose4- steering nut may be looseSame letters? My dealer and another are both aware of the belt problem recall, they just say no parts!
Did you also get the letter about them wanting to hear from you? I got that the other day but accidentally threw it out lol

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I did, sadly mine sits on the trailer right now with 0.7 miles on it, so I don't even have an opinion yet. We are headed to tumbler on Wednesday (FINALLY) and I will surely be posting up a first impression ride report. Lack of snow, first child, work and buddy's schedules have really been a factor to the 11/12 season....hope to change that and hit the hills with the wife after this trip and maybe one more if I'm lucky! Stay tuned!!!

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the dealer i deal with is aware and is just waiting on parts at this point.
also cat has a kevlar belt now. my dealer said they have some but they are pricey.

chevy

Reaction score
Grap your secondary clutch and try and pull it in an out. Theres a nut in the chaincase that was not properly tighen on some of the sleds allowing the secondary to walk back and forth.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Still going to be a lot less movement then a convention clutch set-up with no TCL in my opinion. I do see what you are saying about the flex with the movement in the bearings...but that is still pretty minimal compared to a sled that has no connection between clutches.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of news coming from snowest of a free belt in the mail along with a extra year of warranty on 800s. 1100 will also get extra yr of warranty just not a belt. Hopfully it's true!!

NytroBoost

Reaction score
just got told the other day that there is an update for the clutch alignment. talk to johnny at jab motorsports. 780-586-2867. he was just working on this Thursday.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just a question for all you that had the 08 XP......Basically it was a belt issue? Traded to the 377 and all problems went away? I had an 09 with the 377 and it was still a belt eater....not near as bad as my new PC but about 1 every 300 miles.

Anyway I guess I am just holding out hope that this is Arctic Cats issue. Maybe it needs a belt with a different compound or different dimensions/angles. I have done every "update" that is possible and still looking. I know its not an alignment issue. Dont think snow ingestion is bad enough to cause this, and the sled runs awesome and pulls hard, backshifts are a little slow but not bad, so I don't really think the spring/wieght/helix combo is THAT far off.
That leads to the next possible problem....poorly manufactured belts????

The 377 belt only reduces the problem, doesn't fix it.

I had an 08 that used 6 belts in the first 1000 kms. Then I drilled out the motor mounts and slid the motor in and the next belt lasted 2000 kms. And for the guys who say add vents, NOPE that is another band-aid. A good clutch set up does not get very hot in the first place. I learned alot from my 08 xp and first I will say, feel your cliutches. If one is hotter than the other, that is the clutch that is seeing the friction or is slipping. For the xp, I would increase the weight in the primary if it was hot, or increase the angle in the helix for the secondary if it was hot (actually reverse numbers for doo, not sure about cat) These actions will make the clutches grab the belt tighter to stop slipping. I realize that cat is a different animal and a different fix may be in order but you can already eliminate changing deflection (by this good design)as a problem so what is left?? Process of elimination.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pics from snowest. Possible 2013? Sorry for high jacking thread. Thinking less attention on here. Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329936139.834401.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329936189.383928.jpg

Top Bottom