3 belts in 600 miles???

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the title says.... WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on my 4th belt now and I've only got 600 miles on the sled... Anyone else have this problem?? 120$ a pop isn't cheap when you're traveling all the way from fort Mac to revelstoke, renting a cabin, and drinking you're face off the whole trip lol. The extra money in belts is certainly not called for!! Oh and by the way, it's a 2012 proclimb m8 162 snopro. And please don't say "do a search" cuz I'm not taking the time to scroll thru 47285739 pages of the new cat problems lol.....

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah dude, there is a problem. not for everyone of the sleds but a few i know of there is a bolt that loosens in the chaincase that allows slight side to side movement. there is a recall for this problem though. belts can blow and have no heat marks, and the clutches are still cool. a buddy put a older 0627-020 belt on it. had to shim secondary 160 thou. to take up the slack but the belt is suppose to take the heat and abuse better. if your clutches get really hot then this might cure your issue until you can get the recall done.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines been good. 900 km so far. Id check to see if your clutches are out of alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanerd

Reaction score
I have the same sled and no issues but, I bought the upper vent panel kit before I ever rode it to lose some of the heat....over 400 miles and still on the factory belt...might be worth a try.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled and no issues but, I bought the upper vent panel kit before I ever rode it to lose some of the heat....over 400 miles and still on the factory belt...might be worth a try.
I have the modrods vent kit for mine, I've blown 1 belt without the vents, and two since... My belt guard is absolutely MANGLED to pieces, It blew a hole in the side of my plastics on the bottom, luckily the side panels cover it up tho. It's getting very frustrating! I don't even know why they put a guard on there to begin with, something that brittle has no chance. My buddy rented a 2012 m8 153 in revy, it had already blown a few belts judging by the same mess his belt guards were in and the big dents in the exhaust pipe... Then, low and behold, he blew a belt on the first day!!!!

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a problem with mine yet, but unfortunately I've only got to ride 140 miles. Got the recall and will be getting it checked out. I also have been hearing the chatter.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish mine lasted 600 Miles! I was on belt number 4 at about 250 miles! Jackshaft nut tightened, clutches aligned with cat bar, helix ground for full shift, and lower gearing installed. STILL having issues. Bought some vents to install this weekend. I know that is a bandaid but hope it helps some. Secondary gets smoking hot!

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at maxwell... Loves hearing this!! I'll send you the bill in the mail maxwell for all this ammo you're getting for the next doo vs poo vs cat argument that comes up lol!!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah your not the only guy having problems with belts I brought this same issue up on facebook stating the problems that are happening with the new cat I had 1 guy try and fight me in the lumberton parking lot and so many others getting pretty upset about my fact making haha. It sucks that your belt is going so much there is quite a few not having problems with there belts but lots that are. hopefully you can take it in and the dealer can fix it for free for ya.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at maxwell... Loves hearing this!! I'll send you the bill in the mail maxwell for all this ammo you're getting for the next doo vs poo vs cat argument that comes up lol!!!

as funnny as this is to me because of 2008. i still hate seeing a fellow sledder angry or stranded or in a position of not knowing what to do with there expensive toy because the manufacturer doesnt even know. burning 500$ worth of belts on even a good riding weekend can turn it chitty pretty quick.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as funnny as this is to me because of 2008. i still hate seeing a fellow sledder angry or stranded or in a position of not knowing what to do with there expensive toy because the manufacturer doesnt even know. burning 500$ worth of belts on even a good riding weekend can turn it chitty pretty quick.
it was awesome when BRP decided to warranty our 166's....I know I cost them close to a grand in belts. they sure got rare in a hurry, by february '08 you couldn't find a 166 anywhere up here. luckily the 288 from the RS 600 fit until they came out with the 377

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep never had an issue with warranty belts on the 08 xp first one blew at km 5 on the clamina trail. Used 5 belts in 2.5 days(130 miles) used 14 belts in 650 miles that year now the problem is gone as said with the 377 belt. Gotta hate growing pains!

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just a question for all you that had the 08 XP......Basically it was a belt issue? Traded to the 377 and all problems went away? I had an 09 with the 377 and it was still a belt eater....not near as bad as my new PC but about 1 every 300 miles.

Anyway I guess I am just holding out hope that this is Arctic Cats issue. Maybe it needs a belt with a different compound or different dimensions/angles. I have done every "update" that is possible and still looking. I know its not an alignment issue. Dont think snow ingestion is bad enough to cause this, and the sled runs awesome and pulls hard, backshifts are a little slow but not bad, so I don't really think the spring/wieght/helix combo is THAT far off.
That leads to the next possible problem....poorly manufactured belts????

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xp issue was not all belt. anyone that i fixed was purely an alignment issue. i had an 08xp that ate a belt every ride. i then added a 174 and an 860 and the only clutching change made was 2 alignment shims and it never burnt a belt ever after that. with more hp and stress.

as far as your cat goes. its that fancy new torque arm creating the issues for it. at certain points in the shift it allows the center to center distance to change this throwing the alignment out.

its worth buying a snowest membership just to read that thread.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xp issue was not all belt. anyone that i fixed was purely an alignment issue. i had an 08xp that ate a belt every ride. i then added a 174 and an 860 and the only clutching change made was 2 alignment shims and it never burnt a belt ever after that. with more hp and stress.

as far as your cat goes. its that fancy new torque arm creating the issues for it. at certain points in the shift it allows the center to center distance to change this throwing the alignment out.

its worth buying a snowest membership just to read that thread.

If you have a couple days as it is a long one!!!!! LOL
811 Replies and 43865 veiws

Last edited:

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been through that entire thread on snowest......still not convinced its the Torque Control Link. The center to center distance can not change. Front end is bolted to engine case and rear is solid mounted to jackshaft. The rubber bushing is between the TCL and frame....which will have some movement and acts as the pivot point. So the clutches are getting SOME movement in them, but still nowhere near as much as a conventional set-up.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have been through that entire thread on snowest......still not convinced its the Torque Control Link. The center to center distance can not change. Front end is bolted to engine case and rear is solid mounted to jackshaft. The rubber bushing is between the TCL and frame....which will have some movement and acts as the pivot point. So the clutches are getting SOME movement in them, but still nowhere near as much as a conventional set-up.

I'm with you on that. There's no way that TCL is making the center to center further, when it's bolted soild to the motor and jackshaft. People are saying there's a recall for the belt issue, but dealerships Ive asked know nothing of it and out of the 4 letters I've got from cat so far, not one has been about the belt.

My clutches do get very hot on my proclimb, but I haven't blown a belt yet and it has 940 km of mountain riding on it. I have the 2 largest shims in the secondary for belt deflection and is getting loose so I'm going to have to replace the belt now. Unless you can remove the o-ring and fit more shims on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cat techies came to PG last week and were doing a bunch of testing and apparently have a fix for this.
i do know the parts guy at our local dealer here.
they have a fix for the jackshaft not 100% on what this was whether it be the shimming or a different jackshaft entirely.
the 2013 will also come with 38" ski stance
will come with the rassmussen steering extender
they say they have all the issues fixed and will be making it better.
they said they changed somthing to make the sled not want to correct and go back to sitting flat when you are carving.
this is what i was told. have some faith guys they will get this fixed.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. There's no way that TCL is making the center to center further, when it's bolted soild to the motor and jackshaft. People are saying there's a recall for the belt issue, but dealerships Ive asked know nothing of it and out of the 4 letters I've got from cat so far, not one has been about the belt. My clutches do get very hot on my proclimb, but I haven't blown a belt yet and it has 940 km of mountain riding on it. I have the 2 largest shims in the secondary for belt deflection and is getting loose so I'm going to have to replace the belt now. Unless you can remove the o-ring and fit more shims on?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got four letters too..1- mix gas for the first tank2- here's a shock sticker to make your shock better3- steering nut may be loose4- steering nut may be looseSame letters? My dealer and another are both aware of the belt problem recall, they just say no parts!

Top Bottom