2015 Summit X T3 174 or 163?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think its just the photos. the skid is moved back, and the chaincase is 27mm longer. so it shouldnt be any worse than a factory summit x with a 2.5" track i wouldnt think. the inch longer chaincase will makeup for the smaller drivers.

also remember that 174x3" they managed to make it the same weight as the 163x2.5" so perhaps they found the driver size made up for it enough

The attack angle is steeper. They would have to push the skid back to make the clearance for the track, otherwise with the taller track and smaller drivers you'd potentially have the track coming down towards the drivers off the front arm.

The 3" sits higher and flatter just due to the fact there is so much track back there, to keep the balance on the front, you can use longer shocks but it puts excess stress on the steering components without geometry changes. Look at the spindles on the front of the 174 and then on the 163/154, you'll see that they are longer. ;) The front of the sled on the 174 sits higher and this makes the angle steeper.

Will it affect performance? The increased angle will be a small trade off to get the 174" X 3". I don't think most will notice the performance loss, and honestly, most guys will have to tighten up the limiters anyway to keep the front down, so that will help improve the angle a little anyway.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More I look at the angle, and skid, I am wondering how it will work, they might have it set up well for stock power since track speed will be mostly high fortys... But when turning it in the hi 60s it might be a real rodeo to ride... But just a easy skid and driver swap and back running

wonder how much room above the stock drivers and three inch track there is to hitting the tunnel, would 8 inch fit

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More I look at the angle, and skid, I am wondering how it will work, they might have it set up well for stock power since track speed will be mostly high fortys... But when turning it in the hi 60s it might be a real rodeo to ride... But just a easy skid and driver swap and back running

wonder how much room above the stock drivers and three inch track there is to hitting the tunnel, would 8 inch fit

With rider forward, the XM's already wheelie a lot with the 163"s. With that much track and any decent amount of track speed, I see there being a huge market for a coupler like the ARC from Skinz or the KMOD rear arm adjuster piece.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is going on with the articulating rear suspension??? You could get the 174 track and it will handle like a much shorter track with this option engaged. Just like the 16 wide handles like a 12 inch because of the track rolling over on the edge.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The attack angle is steeper. They would have to push the skid back to make the clearance for the track, otherwise with the taller track and smaller drivers you'd potentially have the track coming down towards the drivers off the front arm.

The 3" sits higher and flatter just due to the fact there is so much track back there, to keep the balance on the front, you can use longer shocks but it puts excess stress on the steering components without geometry changes. Look at the spindles on the front of the 174 and then on the 163/154, you'll see that they are longer. ;) The front of the sled on the 174 sits higher and this makes the angle steeper.

Will it affect performance? The increased angle will be a small trade off to get the 174" X 3". I don't think most will notice the performance loss, and honestly, most guys will have to tighten up the limiters anyway to keep the front down, so that will help improve the angle a little anyway.

DSC00069_014.JPG Im not a fan of attack angle.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 168373 Im not a fan of attack angle.

look at that tunnel. not even a scratch from a sled built in 1997. you ride HARD LMFAO.

the problem with your attack angle is its not a fun sled for anything other than straight up and it would do that well because of that angle. but for stockers guys that do technical riding prefer a little steeper attack angle to keep the front end light for quick reactions. a planted front end wandering through the steep deep trees is your enemy.

they each have there purpose. if one wanted to have a better attack angle for climbing on the new XM 174 they can simply change the drivers to an 8 tooth this will help.

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy peeps! It's just LHF...don't get all torqued...just enjoy the comedy.
...it's not that he doesn't ride hard just really looks after his machines...so I hear.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
In my experience, boost any XP or XM and it turns into a rodeo to ride. As it is my stock 800 with 163x3 was crazy until I pulled in the limiter, and even now it's on the edge of too much tail walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my experience, boost any XP or XM and it turns into a rodeo to ride. As it is my stock 800 with 163x3 was crazy until I pulled in the limiter, and even now it's on the edge of too much tail walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRP is saying they are moving the rear arm back 1.75 inches. They must have finally realized there rear skid was to soft for a 3 inch track. We will know what they are like on a hill as soon as guys ride them. My turn is April 9th and I will tell you if you need an aftermarket skid or not. Lol.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP is saying they are moving the rear arm back 1.75 inches. They must have finally realized there rear skid was to soft for a 3 inch track. We will know what they are like on a hill as soon as guys ride them. My turn is April 9th and I will tell you if you need an aftermarket skid or not. Lol.

I will need a racers edge rear arm! Lol

Top Bottom