163 kills 174

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we have three 2015 t3's in our group. One 163 and two 174's. The 163 out climbs both 174's consistently in every condition. Is this normal or is something wrong. Switching riders makes no difference. The 163 always goes higher and faster. Seems to have more tracks speed and more ground speed. The 174 seems to trench more and just doesn't go like the 163. Any suggestions?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have personally seen the 174 t3 climb higher than the 163 t3 but I think it all depends on the rider and the way the sled is set up! And yes the 174 leaves some huge trenches! lol

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there must be more then two guys with info on this, I have option to buy both but I want to ride as I sold mine in 24hrs and didn't expect that. I can get a 174 on Friday and 163 but I can only get this one Sunday or Monday, hmmmm both are nice sleds and price similar it's just what one am I better with. Thx

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we have three 2015 t3's in our group. One 163 and two 174's. The 163 out climbs both 174's consistently in every condition. Is this normal or is something wrong. Switching riders makes no difference. The 163 always goes higher and faster. Seems to have more tracks speed and more ground speed. The 174 seems to trench more and just doesn't go like the 163. Any suggestions?

It's just set up ?
Are you just trolling ? Lol

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's just set up ?
Are you just trolling ? Lol

That depends its like saying the truck with the 33" wheels went through the mud but the truck with the 35" wheels got stuck LOL...same hole.

I think the extra 6" of track on the ground make's this a no brainer, as for track speed they're pretty close as both will have limited hp. You can only get so much out of an 800. You won't see a difference of 15-20mph between them. More likely less then 5mph.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
174 came with 2 gear ratios. One sucks and one doesn't. Been a while and don't remember the gear ratio but one is way to low. No ground speed or track speed.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
174 came with 2 gear ratios. One sucks and one doesn't. Been a while and don't remember the gear ratio but one is way to low. No ground speed or track speed.

Well we need to find this out, lol

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
174 takes a lot of hp, and stock Etec is right on the verge of not having the requirements needed to spin it like it should be spun.. What I seen with stock to stock is minimal with driver weight and ability to be the major player.. 174 harder to handle but also more forgiving and will hold skis down a bit better in the steep on stock skids..

Now throw turbos on them and a entire different story.. 174 all day long

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gearing is a key factor, properly geared an 800 will spin up a 174 no problem. Stock Doo gearing has always been too low on their big track sleds. Oh hold on you figure you need to gear down lower with a big track. That is not necessarily true but a common belief.
In a simple way to explain is, when you gear a sled too low you will cause your clutches to operate too high on their sheave(clutches). This in turn can cause many issues that i won't really get into but one of them is throw off the torque curve of the motor. The farther you shift a clutch the more sensitive it becomes to load changes. So improper gearing, like too low of ratio will cause low track speed, partially because the clutches are in the wrong ratio and the motor cannot pull the proper torque to maintain the shift. The 174 IMO is not geared properly, never has been.

Plus to think that a 174 requires more power to turn is non sense. In fact a in the deep snow a 174 theoretically require less HP as it floats better and will have less snow resistance against it.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another factor in play. The more load you apply to the crank of a motor the more HP it will deliver till it is maxed out. If you never apply any load to the crank it will never make HP, as it is impossible to make HP without a load being applied.
A sled that is geared too low will never apply enough of a load to maximize the motors HP capabilities.....you want your sled to pull hard and generate good track speed, you need proper gearing. Factory gears tend to be too low for that.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't spill the beans. I spent too much time to figure out the the magical, beat some poorly tuned turbos and all stock machines gear ratio. Woo-hoo!

Even if a person did say the "doo and mud team "would tell you your wrong . Lol

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pick your best gearing, allow your % of fast that suits your needs.

Adjust track limiter straps and front shocks for what turning and handling you want.

Get your power plant and clutching up to speed.

Attack these above ideas at your choosing and giver,,, adjust as needed or set it and leave it.

Only ideas at the ground you choose to explore.

Lem.

PS: Lots of hp fixs handling and manovering issues in the puzzle.
Kinda like pointing a rocket and thinking more about hanging on,,, LOL. Only adjustment for that is the rider.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 174 T3 and a 850 165 both are bone stock. I have been riding the 850 and I am really enjoying it. I rode with my son's for four days in Revy, one on my 174 and I will say conclusively that the 174 has the upper hand in the extreme deep snow that is in Revy right now. Makes me think your 174 may not be working quite right.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This makes sense to me. I ordered different gears already last week. When they come in I will know if it helps. I do think the 800 has enough power to turn this track faster than 35 mph on a steep climb. The only difference between the 163 and the 174 other than track is the gear ratio.

Gearing is a key factor, properly geared an 800 will spin up a 174 no problem. Stock Doo gearing has always been too low on their big track sleds. Oh hold on you figure you need to gear down lower with a big track. That is not necessarily true but a common belief.
In a simple way to explain is, when you gear a sled too low you will cause your clutches to operate too high on their sheave(clutches). This in turn can cause many issues that i won't really get into but one of them is throw off the torque curve of the motor. The farther you shift a clutch the more sensitive it becomes to load changes. So improper gearing, like too low of ratio will cause low track speed, partially because the clutches are in the wrong ratio and the motor cannot pull the proper torque to maintain the shift. The 174 IMO is not geared properly, never has been.

Plus to think that a 174 requires more power to turn is non sense. In fact a in the deep snow a 174 theoretically require less HP as it floats better and will have less snow resistance against it.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no way a good running 174 should get outclimbed by a 163 - something wrong there ! 174 all the way for me - its a monster in the Deep!

Top Bottom