2015 Summit X T3 174 or 163?

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
1992_600.jpg
I practically shed tears of joy to see both 3" tracks available. My Polaris buddies will be crying tears of shame...

I've ridden both tracks on XP's extensively. I love the 163 on the XP just for the fun factor as the 174 seems a bit locked into the track it makes. 174 is super-stable though! But with the full XM treatment along with the other chassis improvements, I'm pretty sure I'm going to snow-check a 174. You would not believe how much that 174 track pulls in the really deeeeeep stuff!

Opinions? Maxwell I'm in such a good mood now I'll even tag-team this thread with you... ;-)

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I practically shed tears of joy to see both 3" tracks available. My Polaris buddies will be crying tears of shame...

I've ridden both tracks on XP's extensively. I love the 163 on the XP just for the fun factor as the 174 seems a bit locked into the track it makes. 174 is super-stable though! But with the full XM treatment along with the other chassis improvements, I'm pretty sure I'm going to snow-check a 174. You would not believe how much that 174 track pulls in the really deeeeeep stuff!

Opinions? Maxwell I'm in such a good mood now I'll even tag-team this thread with you... ;-)

lol! alot of happy campers right now

im going to try and get on one right away here to compare but i cant see there being a huge difference in handleing from a 163. it will sidehill better, and you will be able to plan your next move easier, i see no downside to the 174 unless you like to jump. but im getting to old for that and i realize i have to go to work the next day so breaking bones isnt in my game plan. 174 it is.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
lol! alot of happy campers right now

im going to try and get on one right away here to compare but i cant see there being a huge difference in handleing from a 163. it will sidehill better, and you will be able to plan your next move easier, i see no downside to the 174 unless you like to jump. but im getting to old for that and i realize i have to go to work the next day so breaking bones isnt in my game plan. 174 it is.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure that a 174 with flex-edge and t-motion will help immensely in minimizing that 'locked into the hill' feel of a 174 on an XP. I'm also really liking the work put into the suspension mounting and pivot points. This group of engineers is really getting it, in my opinion.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i also had a 174 xp and it was mehh....in the handling department. but these xm handle so well im very confident in the 174. i know carl kuster and how he rides. this gives me GREAT confidence aswell that he developed this monster

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to get that 174 development sled out to BC for some joe-blow rider testing before snowcheck ends, like they did with the XM.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i also had a 174 xp and it was mehh....in the handling department. but these xm handle so well im very confident in the 174. i know carl kuster and how he rides. this gives me GREAT confidence aswell that he developed this monster

Also Rene has had a 174 in his 14 all year, bet he has 6000 plus km on it now

Had 4000 at christmas

sent while I should be drinking tea's

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also Rene has had a 174 in his 14 all year, bet he has 6000 plus km on it now

Had 4000 at christmas

He is riding a 163" 2.5 and 154 3".

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
174 will be sweet, but think the motor will be lacking in performance... BBs or turbo could be very popular for next year, order early

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does a 163.9hp 800 really have enough power for a 174x3 track at elevation ???

put a turbo on it and nothing is impossible ...

but is the light weight drive train up to it ???

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i get a new one i will go with the 163!!!!my 2013 is still blowing me away with how good it pulls.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like having 163.9 HP at elevation.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Guy from doo talk had a 13 xm, 174 X 3 last year ,

Went up and over anything

Even the 163 X 3 couldn't do it

Stock motor.... Just kept going and going

Even had good track speed

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just think how jelly all the nay sayers will be once their buddies that snowchecked one are laying a whooping on them next year. Doo wouldnt release a lackluster product, not to mention all the success people have been having with the big tracks as an aftermarket upgrade.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website

We have already been doing this for years. Not only do they have enough power, but they will outclimb (or at least trade marks with) many a turbo rider running 154x15x2.5 and sometimes 162x15x2.5 tracks, especially in the mega-deep snow. It's always been about putting the power down to the snow.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have already been doing this for years. Not only do they have enough power, but they will outclimb (or at least trade marks with) many a turbo rider running 154x15x2.5 and sometimes 162x15x2.5 tracks, especially in the mega-deep snow. It's always been about putting the power down to the snow.

I dunno about that, I've been running a 163 TSS 2.5" for the past year and ridden with a couple 174s, and in my experience, instant track speed is king. But we'll see!

Edit: That being said, I'm curious how the 174 rails will hold up to jumps and drops, if you plan on doing any of those might be smarter to go 163"?

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
I dunno about that, I've been running a 163 TSS 2.5" for the past year and ridden with a couple 174s, and in my experience, instant track speed is king. But we'll see!

Edit: That being said, I'm curious how the 174 rails will hold up to jumps and drops, if you plan on doing any of those might be smarter to go 163"?

I agree actually. A 163 TSS sled is a 16 wide track, and it's a TSS... I was talking about lesser tracks primarily, and sometimes lesser riders.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im glad some people are pumped about this ive heard alot of people complaining bout how usless this sled will be i had to go on a rant this am bout people complaining bout it obviously this is no sask sled i think it will be deadly weapon for those who want be able to go anywhere and those who are gonna get aftermarket 174s anyways wat more could u ask for.
i have also heard many of complaints bout the yellow and red an how ugly it is i dont understand why people are butt hurt over the colour u dont have to get the yellow one imo the black looks awesome. i cant wait to see one in action it should be impressive i myself will stick with a 146 for a few more years i can scare myself enough on that

Top Bottom