2015 Summit Clutch Maintenance

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just more an observation than anything else for those of you who picked up a '15 last year. I was reading the other post on the floating secondary and a comment was made about the "fingers" sticking with very few kms on the sled. I wasn't going to take mine apart as it only had 1200 km on it from a short season last year and I do blow it out with air every other trip. However, figured I had the tools and even after the Doo dealer asked "why are you taking it apart if it works OK", I took it apart anyways, but that's just me!

All three of the "fingers" were sticking, one so bad you had to force it, and yet when I did the old spin a roo and listened for the "fingers" dropping, they would all "click"! The roller ends were still pretty loose but, the shaft/bushing they ride on were all stuck, quite a mess actually with that few kms on it. Once I got that cleaned up I tackled the secondary, never had this new style apart before, and after nearly loosing an eye from a flying helix I got it cleaned up as well. With it, clutch dust had built up in one spot on each ramp of the helix, right in the "curve" area, and enough so that it made a small "dust bump" for the roller! Ya, kinda glad I stripped it all apart before hitting the hills, I doubt if it would have taken much longer and I would have had clutch issues, food for thought. (**SOMEONE I spoke to hasn't had their clutch serviced in 3 years, but their secret is safe with me!**)...........Sherm

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sc800, you know what they say, a little info can go a long way! I'm just concerned about those Cat guys that may have problems of course, not the Doo's! Got er ready to rip yet or what! Sherm

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I just did my 14, all the arms shafts where free, but one roller could barely turn

I have taken it apart once at 3000 km and just checked wear stuff and tan it to 4700 km

All New stuff now and good for 5000 km again

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are known for it. Take some emery cloth and sand sand the gold color off the arm pins and they will most likely not stick again. At least for a while. Had half a dozen last year with only a few hundred km's on them and they all had at least one arm sticking.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sc800, you know what they say, a little info can go a long way! I'm just concerned about those Cat guys that may have problems of course, not the Doo's! Got er ready to rip yet or what! Sherm
You bet I am ready to go! Sure hope the T3 treats me as good as my cats did! Haha. Hope to see you soon!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are known for it. Take some emery cloth and sand sand the gold color off the arm pins and they will most likely not stick again. At least for a while. Had half a dozen last year with only a few hundred km's on them and they all had at least one arm sticking.
Well sh!t, the kit cones with the gold arms, and I used them

Should have used the old ones lol

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet I am ready to go! Sure hope the T3 treats me as good as my cats did! Haha. Hope to see you soon!

Ah yes, another T3 track to poach, look forward to it !

Alpine_Bound

Reaction score
I try not to go more than 600-700 km without disassembling and cleaning the primary, every time I do there is at least one sticky roller arm. The bushing material gums up on the pin for the roller arm, cleans off pretty easy with soapy water and a scotch brite pad, as does the rest of the clutch. Watch for burs on the ends of the pins from the self locking bolts that hold them in place, they will make it tough to slide the pin out for cleaning and chew up the bushing in the process. I put 4500 km on my 09, 2200 km on my 2012 and 4700 km on my 2014 and have never had to replace rollers or buttons. Depending on the mileage you put on, new springs in both clutches from time to time are a good idea, makes a surprising difference.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try not to go more than 600-700 km without disassembling and cleaning the primary, every time I do there is at least one sticky roller arm. The bushing material gums up on the pin for the roller arm, cleans off pretty easy with soapy water and a scotch brite pad, as does the rest of the clutch. Watch for burs on the ends of the pins from the self locking bolts that hold them in place, they will make it tough to slide the pin out for cleaning and chew up the bushing in the process. I put 4500 km on my 09, 2200 km on my 2012 and 4700 km on my 2014 and have never had to replace rollers or buttons. Depending on the mileage you put on, new springs in both clutches from time to time are a good idea, makes a surprising difference.
Speaking of riding, what cha up too sunday??

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should also check the plastic bushing clearance inside the removable sheave, as well as inside the spring cup. 380 k on mine and they were pooched. replaced with aftermarket steel with Teflon inside liner, supposed to get longer life out of them so we will see if its true.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
380 km , some things wrong with ur hole clutch

3000-5000 km is more the norm before bushings in spring cup and sliding sheaves

Top Bottom