2013 SBA 800 compression @100 psi

phatboy07

Reaction score
So I did a compression test on my 13 switchback assault 800 and I'm getting 100 psi per side about 2600 miles. Sled seems to run ok but Was around the 120 mark last year (same gauge). What's the best kit/method for a top end rebuild? Is there any place in alberta I can get a good piston kit? Do,I need to get my cylinders honed or should I just replace them with the pistons. Don't have anywhere locally to do honing on my cylinders if needed so looking for any options. Thanks.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MNTK kits are pretty good from what I hear on here. maybe give chrisco a shout at Parkland. He should be able to help you out.

phatboy07

Reaction score
If my cylinders are in good shape can I just do a set of good drop in Pistons or do I need to hone the cylinders?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If my cylinders are in good shape can I just do a set of good drop in Pistons or do I need to hone the cylinders?

Your cylinders are Nikasil, its extremely tough and a hone will not touch it. If its in good shape (no flaking and no aluminium deposits) just install new pistons. I suggest googling the Honing part lots of info on the subject.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually toss a ball hone through the cylinders to help the new rings seat.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Is there anyplace that does a cylinder and piston kit ready to go? Maybe even an exchange. Seems like here is quite few options as far as pistons go. Would rather do both in one go rather than wait for cylinders to get honed/redone (if that's the case). I'm all for doing it right the first time as well.

phatboy07

Reaction score
If it makes any difference this was my first time starting it this year after storage. I brought it up to temp and drove it from my backyard around the block into may garage. probably doesn't matter though lol.

phatboy07

Reaction score
Well thanks for the help guys. Ended up ordering affix kit from parkland. Any tips for installation?

Top Bottom